Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Powerstroke Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-17-2018, 11:52 AM   #1

Pismo Beach/ Grapevine climb

Just back from a week at Pismo/Oceano Campground. Due to the terrible flooding disaster near Santa Barbara, Hwy 101 was closed so we had to use an alternative route, hwy 166 to th I 5 frwy, entering at the base of the Grapevine. It's the steepest and longest uphill I'm aware of. I've travelled the greater western states but don't consider the Beartooth of other tight 2 lane roads in the same category.

I use a DashBoss monitoring system to watch my 6.0 vitals and this was the most aggressive climb. Knowing how important the eoc/eot delta is, it runs about 7-9 degrees empty, 10-15 degrees when pulling, and here 23 degrees driving up the Grapevine. I keep my IPOD hooked up by Bluetooth on my floor or seat and do "screenshots" as necessary.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	368
Size:	110.6 KB
ID:	189106

This was at the top of the grade, probably 10 miles. My boost psi will sometimes go to zero when it really is up around 25-26 psi. Highest delta reading I've every seen between oil and coolant at 23+ degrees, no worries. Intake air temp at 31 degrees difference, things heated up. High oil pressure at almost 2000 psi difference, coasting dropped it way down. Amazing my tranny never exceeded 180 degrees which makes me the most happy about these numbers.
Enjoy the comparison.
R2millers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2018, 12:00 PM   #2

Grapevine trip continued

So here are my comparison numbers after I reached the southern base of the summit in Castaic. I can't seem to show both pictures on one post so here's the second picture.
Here you can see how things cooled down, coasting turbo and all.

I did post on another RV site so disregard if already seen.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	343
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	189107
Old 01-17-2018, 12:27 PM   #3

So I'm going to Pismo/Oceano Campground in mid Feb.
any idea on when 101 will re-open ?
or is there anyway to know ahead of time ?

Thanks for the info !
Bruce
deputybubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 12:32 PM   #4

The news this morning said they expected it open by next Monday, Jan 21st. Looking at the progress of the cleanup, it's going very slowly but I'd expect it all clear up by next month.
Old 01-17-2018, 12:36 PM   #5

You might want to consider monitoring your EGT's as well. You'll be amazed how hot it can get if you lug the engine up a hill. RPM's are your friend with that motor.
Peto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 12:36 PM   #6

Awesome thanks
deputybubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 01:06 PM   #7

Some of the readings on your monitor appear to be wildly inaccurate, IMO, but I am going off readings from older rigs.
The volt reading looks OK though and probably the engine temp and trans oil temp.

'97 Country Coach Intrigue
BRex45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 11:43 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peto View Post
You might want to consider monitoring your EGT's as well. You'll be amazed how hot it can get if you lug the engine up a hill. RPM's are your friend with that motor.
Yes indeed. It's one of those things I need to invest in. There's an external port with a sending unit available. Fuel pressure is another metric I would like to get but I've just not purchased it yet.

BRex45... What looks incorrect to you? I passed this on just because of the extreme limits after an aggressive 10 mile or so climb.
Old 01-19-2018, 09:49 AM   #9

I noticed that your battery voltage is 13v. I would expect it to be between 13.7v and ~14.3v. It could be a voltage regulator, wiring issue or an alternator.
pbensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 11:07 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbensen View Post
I noticed that your battery voltage is 13v. I would expect it to be between 13.7v and ~14.3v. It could be a voltage regulator, wiring issue or an alternator.
Good catch. If I measure my voltage at my battery terminals while charging, I get that 13.7-14.4v. There is a resistance issue or the like, created when getting that info off the Obd port via Bluetooth.
I'm not sure if any other metrics are involved, although, it doesn't seem so.