RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Powerstroke Engine Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-12-2015, 10:54 AM   #15
IC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurier View Post
I never mentioned I had a 7.3 that was more reliable. Mine was among the first infamous 6.0L that lasted 3 years with many modifications. Was a faulty design with turbo , engine gasket (oil leak) electronic and software (they had to reduce power)
Correct, you didn't say 7.3 - you did say that you had a 6.7 though. As far as a 6.0 - by the end of the run, they were decent engines though but crap before.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2015, 11:15 AM   #16
IC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBRG07 View Post
I agree I don't talk to many people that know about it either but I have one a part now. Had one 2 months ago. One was a good customer with perfect service record.

Ford is well aware whether they admit it or not.
Any specifics?

If you are a tech, you are well aware that when you sell hundreds of thousands of a particular item over several years, statistics say something is bound to break on one or even hundreds of items no matter how good your design and QA.

Yes, some Job 1, pre Dec 2010 have engines have failed from valve breakage, usually LH side. Some turbos have failed as well but both modes mostly on emissions deleted engines with an after market power programmer.

My selling dealer keeps a 6.0 and a 6.4 on the shelf, but so far has said that he has only had a couple turbos on a 6.7 fail and a few EGTs needing to be replaced. The other dealer that we use for our DD Fusion has had no 6.7 diesel failures with the exception of that @#$% EGT

Old 08-12-2015, 04:54 PM   #17

Just pulled my 27 ft. 5er behind my original F250 Super Cab with a 6.4 diesel with 110,000 miles. We left Tucson and went to: Delores, Telluride, Ourey, Silverton, Durango back home - 1425 miles and averaged 12.2 mpg. I drive 60 on the freeway (ST tires on the trailer) and thru all the passes in Colorado we did the speed limit up hill and down hill and didn't have to pull over once and others pass due to being slow.

Stay away from the ford 6.0"unless it had been modified to the max or dirt cheap and you can spend $5K on engine mods.
tucsonrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 07:03 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by IC2 View Post
Any specifics?

If you are a tech, you are well aware that when you sell hundreds of thousands of a particular item over several years, statistics say something is bound to break on one or even hundreds of items no matter how good your design and QA.

Yes, some Job 1, pre Dec 2010 have engines have failed from valve breakage, usually LH side. Some turbos have failed as well but both modes mostly on emissions deleted engines with an after market power programmer.

My selling dealer keeps a 6.0 and a 6.4 on the shelf, but so far has said that he has only had a couple turbos on a 6.7 fail and a few EGTs needing to be replaced. The other dealer that we use for our DD Fusion has had no 6.7 diesel failures with the exception of that @#$% EGT
Hey ya know I have no dog in this fight,if you don't believe me it doesn't matter in the least.
I just want people to have a true understanding what they are getting in to.
Here is a picture I took of the one that blew up the best. The wrist pin actually fell on the floor when I pulled the motor mount off the block.
A few have just seized and get a short block. The Ford "Hotline" we call for Tech help says if the heads get hit by pistons put in a Longblock if not it gets a Shortblock.
The thing I don't get is the 6.4 with all the oil dilution issue's never had bottom end failure that were not caused by hydraulic either coolant or more common oil/fuel mix.

GBRG07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 08:21 AM   #19

[QUOTE=GBRG07;2694941]The thing I don't get is the 6.4 with all the oil dilution issue's never had bottom end failure that were not caused by hydraulic either coolant or more common oil/fuel mix.

The 6.4 had all the fuel dilution because of the regen cycle of course. That wasn't much of an issue since MOST people changed their oil often enough before it got too bad.
The issue with the 6.0 was the EGR cooler would fail, leaking coolant into the cylinders, and of course then locking up and possibly making a window in the block.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 10:09 AM   #20

We had a 2004 with the 6.0 diesel and although we loved the truck - the motor had so many problems. We had the most of the injectors replaced at various times, replaced turbo charger and numerous transmission repairs. It seemed like every time we went to take it on a trip, we had to stop by the repair shop due to engine codes. Luckily all repairs were covered by warranty, it was still a lot of extra anxiety every time we tried to tow with it just wondering what would go wrong next. Ford finally got most of the problems resolved and after that it was a great truck. It pulled our 5er like it wasn't even behind us.
rvpusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 07:10 PM   #21

[QUOTE=jesilvas;2695080]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBRG07 View Post
The thing I don't get is the 6.4 with all the oil dilution issue's never had bottom end failure that were not caused by hydraulic either coolant or more common oil/fuel mix.

The 6.4 had all the fuel dilution because of the regen cycle of course. That wasn't much of an issue since MOST people changed their oil often enough before it got too bad.
The issue with the 6.0 was the EGR cooler would fail, leaking coolant into the cylinders, and of course then locking up and possibly making a window in the block.
The 6L had far more problems than just egr cooler, ficm,stc.standpipes and plugs in a funny twist the first 6L 2003 was the the one with the least problems. The high pressure oil system was rock solid in this year.
Other than the icp at the back of the engine.

The 6.4 oil dilution from fuel was insane at first,we would have trucks 10L overfull !! The truck would shake from con rods hitting oil.

My point in that is the 6.4 would easily run with a 50/50 oil to fuel in the pan and the 6.7 has issue's with very little fuel getting in pan. ?
GBRG07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 08:28 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucsonrv View Post
Just pulled my 27 ft. 5er behind my original F250 Super Cab with a 6.4 diesel with 110,000 miles. We left Tucson and went to: Delores, Telluride, Ourey, Silverton, Durango back home - 1425 miles and averaged 12.2 mpg. I drive 60 on the freeway (ST tires on the trailer) and thru all the passes in Colorado we did the speed limit up hill and down hill and didn't have to pull over once and others pass due to being slow.

Stay away from the ford 6.0"unless it had been modified to the max or dirt cheap and you can spend $5K on engine mods.
That's impressive mileage for a 6.4, especially towing over mountain passes. Must of had a strong tailwind.

I'm lucky if I see 11 mpg towing with 4.10's.
Martin6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 11:03 AM   #23

I am a born bred and corn fed ford man. I bought the last 7.3 in my area brand new...then totalled it. Luckily I found another in 07when mine got totalled. I have many many friends who been through the 6.0, 6.4 and now the 6.7 and most have gone to cummins. IH screwed the pooch since the 7.3 and the new Ford motor is not much better.

The only way I would own a newer ford is to buy one with a trashed motor for a deal and have a performance shop do a cummins swap.

Ford really turned me off by not standing behind there product...they had a piece of crap they were selling and most paid from 50-70$k for a truck.
Wild Card is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 12:28 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Here is my 2 cents. I had a 97 with a 7.3L and wanted to upgrade to a crew cab. I found my 2002 Ford 7.3L and traded. I had a chance to get 2005 6.0L and the same price and opted out. At that time the 6.0L had big time problems such as bad injectors and bedpan leaks. Buying the 2002 was a no brainer for me.

I think Ford has worked out the problems for the owners that kept the 6.0L but there were a lot buy backs.

If you decide to buy the 6.0L definitely pay have it checked out completely by a diesel mechanic. Check the history of the vehicle.

When the 6.0L first come out it would out perform the 7.3l except in reliability. I have never regretted paying top price for my 7.0L. I will run it forever.
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
greystroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 08:41 PM   #25

Mid Atlantic Campers

I have owned my 2003 f-250 6.0 4x4 club cab since new and I have 110,000 miles on it right now. I may have been one of the lucky ones because so far all I have done to my truck is change the oil and all filters when recommended. It has not been pampered in any way. Just my two cents worth.
birddog2you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 12:27 PM   #26

Thor Owners Club
We had a ford fixlitre and had the extended warranty which cost ford 3 turbos, 1 high pressure oil pump, 1 intercooler and front bearings. We sold it and bought a new F350 with the 6.7 litre. We are happy with this engine. It pulls like a bull and to date we have had 0 problems with it. Although I did get the extended warranty with this one as well.
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 11:09 PM   #27

I would check and see if the EGR cooler has been updated. I might be wrong but I remember the 05 and 06 having issues with those. So someone with more experience should be able to confirm.

wwenstad1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power