RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Powerstroke Engine Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-12-2011, 06:00 AM   #43

I looked at the test results, i can't figure out why a 1ton dually would have a 3.73 rear gear? On my 2007 f350 dually( that i just purchased two weeks ago), i made sure it has the 4:10 rear gear. actually in 2007 the ford f 350 dually, came with either a 4:10 or 4:30 rear gear. Heck, a Ford f 550 comes with a 4:88 rear gear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynn boyd View Post
"The last thing that Ford can afford right now is another failure"
another failure? really?

I know your not a big fan of information, so this is for others that may be interested. I wasnt able to find any tests that dodge didnt place last in power/fuel mileage. in fact the pull up 16% grade with a 12k trailer caused the tranny temp on the ram to spike
Dodge Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel Pickup Truck - Sierra 2500HD Diesel Truck Review - Popular Mechanics

2011 Ford F-250 Super Duty vs 2010 Ram 2500 HD Comparison - Truck Trend

2010 HD 16 Percent Hill Climb Test - PickupTrucks.com Special Reports

aspeyrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2011, 11:10 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspeyrer View Post
I looked at the test results, i can't figure out why a 1ton dually would have a 3.73 rear gear? On my 2007 f350 dually( that i just purchased two weeks ago), i made sure it has the 4:10 rear gear. actually in 2007 the ford f 350 dually, came with either a 4:10 or 4:30 rear gear. Heck, a Ford f 550 comes with a 4:88 rear gear.
And THERE, you hit one of the larger flaws and inequities in "testing" as done by major vehicle mags!

Money talks - and major mags aren't ABOUT to bite the hand that feeds them! The vast majority of truck oriented mags doing "tests" either from ignorance - or mo$t likely $lant, rig their tests in a manner that favors the larger advertisers - and DODGE is usually not one of those.

You don't run the same drivetrain gearing in a long stroke inline 6 cylinder as you do in a shorter stroke V8, or drive them the same way - the usable power band, torque vs HP functions differently, and misapplication can really compromise both power, MPG, and performance, especially under load in in steep grades.

You'd expect an unpredjudiced and equitable truck or car mag to know this - and they DO - but they ALSO know how to tilt the playing field to favor their larger advertisers - as well as keep their subscribers happy as well.

And believe me, it happens all the time...

Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 01:57 PM   #45

well, while we are waiting for Rusty to round up some real facts on the topic..

I looked at every HD comparison I could find, and lo-n-behold, dodge is 3rd in every one of them.
so surley if all the testing is "slanted".. I should be able to go to the Dodge website and find me some truck comparisons that would shine some light on this.
YES! they have a "truck comparison" where you pick yourself out a loaded 1ton drw truck. then you pick 2 trucks to compare it to.. lets just say Ford and a Chevy... (1ton-drw) same animal, notice that the default puts a cummins in the ram, and gas powerplants in the competition? Hummm. and no, theres not a way to select a different engine either. heres the link.. you give it a try
Compare
lynn boyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 06:28 PM   #46

just wanted to add some info to my earlier post, the 7.3 was a Navistar built engine, they call it the DT 466. So really the 6.7 turbo diesel engine is Fords FIRST in house built Diesel, and they seem to be doing great, too much emmissions crap and too high priced for my blood.
Here something i cant understand: The VT 365 built by Navistar, AKA Fords 6.0 powerstroke turbo diesel. The Navistar version comes standard with a Allison 2500 series automatic transmission ! Why in the world would Ford mess that up with a ford transmission?
Old 05-17-2011, 09:31 PM   #47

Ok this is fun to read. 3.73 works very good in our 05 duramax dually. I had one brand new dodge and traded it at 14K miles. Nice to drive not so good stopping (real bad stopping) and it liked the dodge garage.
chevman
Larry Barnhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 11:46 AM   #48

Lynn's right. Dodge Cummins barely beats the other two gas models . What's up with that?
Perry White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 06:09 AM   #49

thats because thats a Dodge ram website doing the comparison.
I wont bash Dodge or Chevy, i just bought a 2007 ford f 350 DRW cc 4by4 with 4:10 rear gear a few weeks ago. I looked at a couple of used chevys, and dodges. the Ford fit my budget and the King Ranch interior cant be beat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynn boyd View Post
well, while we are waiting for Rusty to round up some real facts on the topic..

I looked at every HD comparison I could find, and lo-n-behold, dodge is 3rd in every one of them.
so surley if all the testing is "slanted".. I should be able to go to the Dodge website and find me some truck comparisons that would shine some light on this.
YES! they have a "truck comparison" where you pick yourself out a loaded 1ton drw truck. then you pick 2 trucks to compare it to.. lets just say Ford and a Chevy... (1ton-drw) same animal, notice that the default puts a cummins in the ram, and gas powerplants in the competition? Hummm. and no, theres not a way to select a different engine either. heres the link.. you give it a try
Compare
Old 06-07-2011, 06:11 PM   #50

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
We just got a new Ford Edge and I am going to start looking for a new truck, but it going to be a couple years away. I hope some of this emission stuff gone by then or I may keep on driving what I got. I had a 03 Duramax before this 06 Duramax and both been good trucks. I looked at a 03 and a 06 Ford before buying the Chevy. It was mostly price each time the Ford was over a thousand higher. I was also afraid of the 06 with the 6.0 engine. I had two Chrysler cars before a 71 and a 90. I had a lot of trouble with both of them. The tranny went bad on the 90 and the 71 windows falling out, door handles, the body was just junk. I do plan on looking at a Dodge next time and hope it is better than the other two. Maybe in 20 years they are better.
diandtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 10:37 AM   #51

Texas Boomers Club
Entegra Owners Club
Talking Best truck?

After reading through this thread, it's obvious that the best truck is the ONE YOU OWN. See my signature!

2015 F-150 King Ranch LB 3.5 L twin turbo Ecoboost Toad, Texas Boomers RV Club
FMCA F292298, NRA Benefactor, Newmar KK Lone Stars South
Dutch Star David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 10:47 AM   #52

One thing for sure for us having the 05 awesome chev truck. All new 3 brands are better than our 05. don't want to trade for any of them yet.
chevman

Larry Barnhart is offline   Reply With Quote