RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Powerstroke Engine Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-28-2011, 07:08 PM   #15

Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
We had an '08 F450 with the 6.4 PSD. Couldn't keep it out of the shop. Broke down four times within 20,000 miles, each time more than 1,000 miles from home. Culminated in having to get a new short block installed in North Dakota last summer, all under warranty. With no confidence in it at that point, we drove it home and traded it last spring for an '11 F350 that has nearly the same capacity as the 08 F450. Tows better than the F450 and no problems so far. And 22% better mileage.

I realize my experience may be the anomaly, but if I had a choice between the 6.4 and the new 6.7, I'd go the extra and get the 6.7. I should add that the only reason we stuck with Ford was the excellent support we got from their customer service people in getting repairs made and expenses reimbursed.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-29-2011, 08:25 PM   #16

Thank you all and I not saying the 6.0l bad I just had really bad experience with I really like the 08 and 2011 truck but the 08 I'm looking at has very low miles on it so I think I be ok cause it only going to be used to tow my toy hauler 2 times a year outher then that it just going to set cause I already have a daily driver truck

matt9903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 10:36 PM   #17

If you decide to get the '08, get an OASIS report from Ford run on it before you buy--the VIN will get all info on work done at Ford dealerships on the truck. I would opt to stay away from the Job 1 and Job 2 models--these were built before Jan '08. Job 3 units have all the changes dictated by the 1s and 2s.
I waited til the '09s were out to buy my 450, have had to replace the upper rad hose and fan clutch so far at 72000.
Joe
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 02:11 PM   #18

buy used

Matt: If you can't get a loan for a new truck, you only have a choice of used. There are tons of them out there. You haven't mentioned IF you own a big 5er, TH, skidloader trailer. Do you "need" a diesel OR, like me, simply want one. Internet craigslist, google F350, F450. Keep us posted.))
IOWASTROKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 01:20 PM   #19

Yeah I own big 5th wheel hartland cyclone tow hauler and it weghit is 18,000 loaded and trust me I pull in close to that with the tanks full and the toys in the back I have a f350 drw but she havey for that and I decied to say away from the new trucks cause they truble I work on these thugs day in out so looking for some thing good I found fl60 but guy stuck on a price that crazy

matt9903 is offline   Reply With Quote