Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Powerstroke Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-30-2019, 08:20 AM   #1

Towing Capacity and Payload Capacity

i'm new here so sorry if this was hit on already. i'm looking to get a better grip on the towing and payload differences and how to figure out what to look for when buying a truck. right now i'm looking at a ford f250 king ranch w/6.7 turbo diesel but the specs i see are a max tow # @ 12000. of course the dealer tells me it can "tow" 20k plus. what is the true capacity of what this truck. i know it can "tow" a crap load, but where/how does the payload factor in. thanks for any imput.
mexmahon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2019, 09:08 AM   #2

Welcome, I’ve owned both and the best advise I can give you is to not buy an f250. Get the f350. The f250 has a much lower payload rating, i.e. how much hitch weight you can have. Add a heavy Diesel engine, and all those King Ranch goodies and your carrying capacity/hitch rating will be about the same as some 1/2 tons. Go to the lot, open the doors for the 250 diesel trucks and look at the yellow sticker. Then do the same on the 350’s. You’ll see a huge difference. Most 250’s that are towing fifth wheels are over the payload rating. Especially the diesels. That 6.7 is heavy.
Old 09-18-2019, 07:32 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Whether you like Ford, Ram, or Chevy/GMC, if you want to stay legal then you need to put the cart before the horse. In this case, only because you need to determine what you plan on towing and or hauling in the bed. If you are looking at slide in campers then go Dually no matter what they tell you. It's the stability of the extra set of wheels that you will like appreciate in the long run. Now as far as 5th wheels or goose necks, yo need to know what the tongue weight of the trailer you are going to pull is and then decide 3/4 or 1 ton according to their payload charts. Now take also into consideration that the payload they show is for full of fuel and a 150lb person in the truck. THat is NOT with the 5th wheel hitch or goose neck and your 4 friends that weigh more than 250 lbs each. Also each level of luxury will give less cargo carrying capacity, plus you need to take into account the rear wheel ratio because the gearing can add or subtract 500 to 1000 lbs of payload and towing capability.
Make sure you look at the Owners manual for the truck you are thing about, the dealers will tell you that it will tow anything but may actually be quoting info on the 450/4500 or above or for the 2 door non 4X4 stripped down roll up window, non-ac or radio version. All the companies put in the very very very fine print which one they are really talking about when they say it can tow more than the other guys. In other words they are not talking about apples to apples but rather they are talking about grapes to pineapples.
Don't let any of them sell you on a 1/2 ton that tows 10k or more. Remember just because you can get it moving doesn't mean anything when you can't get it to stop or you get passed going up hill by granny in a wheel chair twice.
Test drive them all and see how they feel because they all have different feels when loaded and empty.
As I always say get a truck that handle allot more than what you think yo will tow.
Old 09-22-2019, 05:38 PM   #4

Hey guys it's simple: the front wheels of a diesel are max'ed out by the engine, so all your "unused" capacity is on the rear wheels - lets say a typical 5er with the pin at 2500 lbs. What can your rear wheels carry knowing what they carry empty! Ya gotta go to the scales and weigh the front and rear wheels, then look at the data plate, and see that a 250(0) canNOT carry a 2500 weight in the bed over the rear wheels! I know the 6.7L Ford can tow anything, but it canNOT carry anything in the bed unless it's a 350(0) dually.
cletesingler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 06:09 PM   #5

Selecting a Tow Vehicle

http://changingears.com/rv-sec-calc-trailer-weight-tt.shtml
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f50/new-to-rving-need-advice-please-459774.html#post4939624
Cargo capacity or Payload Capacity limits what can be safely towed.
Start with the load stickers on the TV's driver's door frame.
Towing capacity is 10 times to 7 times cargo capacity for travel trailers. I don't know what it is for 5th wheels.
Every 100# put into the TV decreases tow capacity by 1000 to 1500#. Spec includes 150# for driver, so everything over 150# also counts. The weight of anything not attached to the vehicle at the factory counts.
Tire and individual axle weights must also not be exceeded.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing