Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Powerstroke Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-21-2015, 11:50 AM   #1

What do I need to do to my 7.3

I have a 2000 F350 DW Crew Cab 4wd 7.3, with 180K miles. I've had it for the last 50K, and 10 yrs.
Only problem I've ever had was idler pulley went on serpentine belt and left me stranded. Had the front end rblt when I first bought it. New bearings, one spindle etc.
I'm ready to do a little traveling, have a small 5er, (1985 Alpenlite 25), so should be no problem for the dually.
I would like to do any PM necessary before I start to travel, see if I can offset any problems out on the road. Any suggestions?
TheOldMan76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2015, 11:56 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
I would change the engine oil if it is near time, check the level of the transmission (change if it has long service otherwise not), check the rear end, make sure all the tires have sufficient air, full fuel tank and away you go.
Old 10-21-2015, 01:23 PM   #3

2000 7.3

I do keep up with the oil changes, tranny filter was changed right after I bought it, guess maybe it's time again. Has been a really good truck. I ought it to haul hay with on a gooseneck, don't do that anymore. We'll see what happens. Would like to get it painted, roof is starting to show some rust down in the grooves, and wife backed into a car with rr fender, not much of a dent, but it show, rest of the body is good.
TheOldMan76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 07:46 AM   #4

Change fluids, and add some filters in my opinion.
I added the Dieselsite coolant filters and transmission filters, and gauges to watch exhaust temps and transmission temps.

I like to add a bigger air filter, free flowing muffler, and checked lots of little things. Reading forums will give you lots of insight. There are quite a few little sensors that can go bad and should be replaced over time. Some wire harnesses that like to chaffe.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 02:45 PM   #5

Check the clamps for tightness on all the turbo system boots, the turbo pedestal o-rings for leaks and the up-pipes for black soot indicating a leak. Best to address any issues with those before heading out for extended towing.
Martin6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 09:00 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
If you want info on the 7.3's go to www.thedieselstop.com. I run a 2001 7.3 F250 and have learned and got a lot of help from that group. They have been around a long time and know their stuff. Just ready to turn over 300,000.
Good luck, good health and safe travels!
BeltoneMagoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 04:50 PM   #7

Keep spare belt, spare cps sensor, gallon of oil and gallon of water/antifreeze mix. Put new hoses and prolly new stat. I always use cat elc coolant. I use a Napa 6637 filter, remove airbox and just run a superchip tuner if you want more power. Keep oil changed as with heui injectors they rely on oil pressure to squirting fuel. I would prolly change the fan clutch as well just for giggles. I am big on using ford parts not aftermarket, they just don't hold up.

Put her in the wind and hold her there.
Wild Card is offline   Reply With Quote