Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Powerstroke Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-19-2013, 07:20 AM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by road dogs View Post
The Navistar 6.0 engine is a good design, it's just the emissions stuff that caused all the problems, especially the EGR cooler. ................................ All it takes is money......

How can an engine that stretches head bolts be cause a good design? The problem was not totally emissions related.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-19-2013, 08:18 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
How can an engine that stretches head bolts be cause a good design? The problem was not totally emissions related.

Ken
I'm asking cause I don't know: do the DT366 have TTY bolts? Because they didn't have near as many problems as far as I know.

But you're right; it wasn't all emissions for the Powerstroke 6.0. Wrong coolant, wrong filters, bad maintenance.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 08:39 AM   #31

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
I'm asking cause I don't know: do the DT366 have TTY bolts? Because they didn't have near as many problems as far as I know.
The Navistar engines weren't dialed up to produce nearly the BHP and torque of the Powerstroke engines. Peak firing pressure stretches head bolts, and more BMEP (brake mean effective pressure, which produces torque) generally requires higher peak firing pressures.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 09:02 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun View Post
Thanks James... One more issue I have, (and it is not powerstroke related but since you and everyone on this site are so knowledgeable I'll ask) is with my front end. If i hit a minor bump in the road or am on a road that is slightly uneven I get a severe wobble/shake in the steering wheel between 45 and 55 miles per hour. It won't happen if i make it to 65 MPH without hitting a bump. Usually i just brake and slow down to make it stop. I usually do my own work but am not sure on this one since I know front end suspension stuff typically requires tools that average joe's like me don't have. Any ideas? Thanks again.
Install a very inexpensive Ford or aftermarket steering dampener. It is a shock absorber mounted sideways. Cheap, effective and works great. Its an option on the chassis used or heavy duty apps like tow trucks. I have added them to my service trucks. Change the steering shock every 50k miles or more if needed. No more issues and no more shake as described or when braking.

I love my Fords but they should have made this standard on these trucks. Its all about money an pd admitting there is a problem blah blah. But this works. Is cheap.
OutAround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 03:35 PM   #33

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks to all for the great info. Luckily my truck is a weekend vehicle for me so I may wait until I get a warmer day to fix... hate to be turning wrenches when it is below freezing ;-)
broadrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 08:05 AM   #34

I have a 2005 King Ranch 4x4, 6.0 in my pickup. At 140,000 a journal in the head cracked. So instead of buying a new truck I spent about 10,000 in completely bullet proofing the motor. New heads, head studs, egr delete, Garrett powermax turbo, bully dog cold air intake and dual 4 inch mbrp exhaust from turbo back, new injectors, new oil cooler, new oil tubes for block and oil pump, and rebuilt front end with all moog bushings and tie rod ends, new center drive shaft bushing , new differential seal and new rancho shocks. I just couldn't stomach them cost of a new truck when mine was paid for. I use it to haul horses and drive in NC mountains a good bit. I get between 16mpg and 17 in town and 19 to 21 on road. Now I have 180,000 and all I do is change oil.
Mystery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 12:28 AM   #35

Winnebago Owners Club
Triple E Owners Club
Now that Ford dropped the 6.0, the aftermarket have figured out how to make a reliable engine out of it. The biggest design weakness was the location/design of the engine and EGR coolers. The coolant is sent down into the coolers which are in the V of the block, Fords joke for coolant would drop particulate out and the coolers would act as a trap-then plug-then over heat-make steam-stretch TTY headbolts. There are a few aftermarket parts players who have removed the coolers and relocated them, added coolant filters. Funny enough one of them is named Bulletproof Diesel. To monitor when your 6.0 is about to have problems, you can buy a reasonably inexpensive Scangauge and read the delta of EOT vs the ECT- if they get wider than about 10 to 15 degrees at normal operating temperature, on flat landscape, at highway speed-you are about to have engine trouble. When the temperatures get wider than 15 degrees it indicates your engine oil cooler is plugged and trouble is about to descend upon you.
Old 01-22-2014, 06:55 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystery View Post
I have a 2005 King Ranch 4x4, 6.0 in my pickup. At 140,000 a journal in the head cracked. So instead of buying a new truck I spent about 10,000 in completely bullet proofing the motor. New heads, head studs, egr delete, Garrett powermax turbo, bully dog cold air intake and dual 4 inch mbrp exhaust from turbo back, new injectors, new oil cooler, new oil tubes for block and oil pump, and rebuilt front end with all moog bushings and tie rod ends, new center drive shaft bushing , new differential seal and new rancho shocks. I just couldn't stomach them cost of a new truck when mine was paid for. I use it to haul horses and drive in NC mountains a good bit. I get between 16mpg and 17 in town and 19 to 21 on road. Now I have 180,000 and all I do is change oil.
Smart move
jrgreenacres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 12:44 AM   #37

Winnebago Owners Club
Triple E Owners Club
jrgreenacres- you've probably hit it on the head-it is a smart move. The Ford automatic is the strongest on the market right now in light truck, the 5R110 is rated 1100 ft.lbs. torque, so it will take lots of diesel type power. Some of the other mfg defuel to keep torque down so the owner doesn't blow the tranny. I'm still sorry I sold my King Ranch, I bought the best diesel in light truck- a Cummins and the only problem with it is it has a POS Dodge wrapped around it. The engine design and the quality of the pieces in the 6.0 were stellar, it was that danged cooler situation that bit it in the butt. Ford did little to help the situation by insisting the dealers replace the stock parts with more of the same. My truck previous to the KR was my 7.3 6spd, which I sold to my son-in-law, and he has put another 100,000 km on it-but did have to do brakes. My KR- I bailed on it when I chickened out & went to the Cummins. I am sure you will have a long engagement with your 6.0 with it modded to bullet proof standards.
Old 01-23-2014, 02:49 AM   #38

Love my 7.3 F350 crew 4x4. Pulls combined loads over legal limits 26,500 combined if I let it. I know because had dump trailer on scale lets just say over a little bit. I did the complete Banks conversion on 7.3 and it runs very well. I think the emissions drove the 7.3 away. It also had Cat out of the market for some time but they are back. 6.0 had issues but apparently if you modify they may run well. 6.4 was short lived. 6.7 seems to be a horse.
JEFFOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 02:51 AM   #39

Don't give up on the dodge the after market companies are building replacement kits to make it one awesome truck.
Old 01-23-2014, 08:48 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrgreenacres View Post
Don't give up on the dodge the after market companies are building replacement kits to make it one awesome truck.
Are they making complete body swaps
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 08:59 AM   #41

If there's enough complaints they will.
Another fix for the 6.0 ford is a hood scoop heat also is a problem with the electronics. Plus it gives the truck character.
Old 01-23-2014, 09:53 AM   #42

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
Are they making complete body swaps
As a matter of fact, yes. Mr. Poppasmurf could have had a Cummins dropped into his Ford King Ranch to replace the 6.0L. There are several companies that do these conversions.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote