Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Renegade Motorhome Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-15-2018, 07:37 AM   #1
Administrator Emeritus

'17 Verona LE HVAC questions

Greetings.... Started a new thread as I'm either going crazy or just plain befuddled with the performance of the two zone system of heating and cooling in our Renegade.

First of all, I "thought" that "zone 1" was in the front of the coach and "zone 2" was in the bedroom area. Am I correct with this assumption?

Secondly, it seems odd to me, but I'd swear that the bedroom area of the coach warms faster and then seems to "fool" the thermostat of the coach in the front of the coach. Evidenced by the fact that BOTH thermostats "were" set at 68, it's now
80 in the rear of the coach and 59 in the front, yet it's comfortable in both areas..... My solution was to simply set the "zone 1" thermostat on 58, to get the heat to stop running.

As I've mentioned in another post, I am running BOTH zones on "electric heat" and "auto low" fan, but with the outside temps in the 40's it seems to be keeping the coach plenty warm.

Can someone chime in and let me know your thoughts?
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2018, 11:48 AM   #2

Yes you are correct zone one in front, Zone two in the rear.

I have found that the placement of the front temp sensor is very susceptible to outside conditions. ie the wall it is mounted in seems to heat up or cool down quite a bit from outside. We will have air set on 78 and the ac will run non stop, checked temp with an instant read therm and it was 72 in the coach...read 86 in the wall!!!!
bugsw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 01:57 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugsw1 View Post
Yes you are correct zone one in front, Zone two in the rear.
+1 -- that's the way I understand the zones also.

I haven't been in cold weather much this first year of ownership. I don't recall the bedroom getting noticeably warmer the one time we did run the electric heat. Note though that on gas heat only zone 1 is in play.

Bruce
deputybubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 04:25 PM   #4
Administrator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by deputybubba View Post

Note though that on gas heat only zone 1 is in play.

Bruce

Had NEVER been told that..... Good to know.
Old 01-16-2018, 08:50 AM   #5

HVAC is a little confusing but I think you gents have narrowed everything down very well...zone 2 is the bedroom, there is no gas heat thermostat mode for zone 2 (ducts in the bedroom to blow hot air from zone 1 when calling for heat) . If the temp gets down to the low 30's the heat pumps automatically lock out and will just blow cold air that counters the gas heat. You must get out of the "auto" mode and go with just gas heat to get heat and keep the heat pumps from blowing cold air from the outside. In very cold weather the front of the coach can get a little on the chilly side but not to bad. I have yet to check the temp difference from room to thermostat...lets face it hot air heat does not hold the temperature to well to begin with. Be in touch, RAG
ragoodspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 08:53 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelsbeach View Post
[emoji144]

Had NEVER been told that..... Good to know.
That was one of the things I remembered from my PDI.
Makes sense since we only have one furnace.
deputybubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 04:04 AM   #7
Administrator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragoodsp View Post
HVAC is a little confusing but I think you gents have narrowed everything down very well...zone 2 is the bedroom, there is no gas heat thermostat mode for zone 2 (ducts in the bedroom to blow hot air from zone 1 when calling for heat) . If the temp gets down to the low 30's the heat pumps automatically lock out and will just blow cold air that counters the gas heat. You must get out of the "auto" mode and go with just gas heat to get heat and keep the heat pumps from blowing cold air from the outside. In very cold weather the front of the coach can get a little on the chilly side but not to bad. I have yet to check the temp difference from room to thermostat...lets face it hot air heat does not hold the temperature to well to begin with. Be in touch, RAG
I'm going to "swear" that my system just switched over to "gas heat" automatically as the outside temps dropped way low this morning.... I was awoken by a much louder noise than normal and I've attributed it to the aqua hot coming on. I have since switched the control over to "gas" and "high" without the automatic, but I'm going to read the books the morning and see if that's in fact what happened. So now it's 6 a.m. and I'm wide awake.
Old 01-18-2018, 10:32 AM   #8

Rebelsbeach...Your hearing is right! When the electric can not keep up with what the thermostat is calling for the gas heat will kick on. I do not have aqua heat so i do not know how that all weighs in. Your weather will change very soon I am sure and the AC will be coming on while we still have snow and cold temps up here in NH!!!
ragoodspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 12:15 PM   #9
Administrator Emeritus

Thanks Rag..... SHE who makes the rules will never believe my hearing is right, but at least I know what I heard was right....

And about that thermometer..... What the heck!!

The hippy dippy weatherman does forecast 70's for high and mid 50's for the low at night for the next week or so and I'll take it.... Never really planned on needing jeans and a hoodie here in Fort Myers, but I'm glad I brought em!

Bob
Old 01-18-2018, 04:36 PM   #10
Administrator Emeritus

Ok Rags....

I know it's in a forum topic somewhere, but I wonder what the diesel fuel consumption rate is, for those of us using the aqua hot?
I'm hoping that after tomorrow it's no longer an issue, but I've burnt some diesel the past day and a half with that heat being on, as well as when you factor in the two of us taking a shower every morning....

The aqua hot manual clearly stated that there's no way that the electric recovers fast enough for hot water on demand....

I'm thinking that Frank or EdS had posted something.... but hey, where ARE those guys anyway?
Old 01-21-2018, 11:32 AM   #11

Quote:
Ok Rags....

I know it's in a forum topic somewhere, but I wonder what the diesel fuel consumption rate is, for those of us using the aqua hot?
I'm hoping that after tomorrow it's no longer an issue, but I've burnt some diesel the past day and a half with that heat being on, as well as when you factor in the two of us taking a shower every morning....

The aqua hot manual clearly stated that there's no way that the electric recovers fast enough for hot water on demand....

I'm thinking that Frank or EdS had posted something.... but hey, where ARE those guys anyway?
Sorry Guys. Been a bit hectic. After 6 years I finally got medical clearance and decided to go racing again. Having sold everything 6 years ago I gotta buy it all again. Its been hectic and a lot of work. New car needs tweaked to be what I want it to be. New Trailer on order, all the spare parts needed plus the 32 X 42 addition to the garage to accommodate the climate controlled "Race Car Shop". Sold the old house when I stopped racing and the 2688 square foot garage is barely large enough for the toys.

I'm having a blast spending some of the kids inheritance

Before

REMEMBER THAT 2,000-HORSE, NATURALLY ASPIRATED ENGINE? | Competition Plus

Now

https://www.facebook.com/frank.tamez.12

Penny and I bought a Dyson heater fan.. We put it in the front of the coach when parked. The thermostat works really well in it and it heats the front leaving the aqua hot to only heat the rear which it easily does on electric. We only use the diesel for showers. Just flip it on just before you jump in and flip it off when your done. Works great for us.
Old 01-21-2018, 06:41 PM   #12
Administrator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Tamez View Post

Penny and I bought a Dyson heater fan.. We put it in the front of the coach when parked. The thermostat works really well in it and it heats the front leaving the aqua hot to only heat the rear which it easily does on electric. We only use the diesel for showers. Just flip it on just before you jump in and flip it off when your done. Works great for us.
Definitely something to think about.... Thanks Frank.

Thankfully, the temps finally have turned north of 60 here in Florida and today was even in the mid 70's, so I guess we'll see what the a/c has in store for us.
Old 01-21-2018, 07:44 PM   #13
Administrator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Tamez View Post
Sorry Guys. Been a bit hectic. After 6 years I finally got medical clearance and decided to go racing again.

I'm having a blast spending some of the kids inheritance

Before

REMEMBER THAT 2,000-HORSE, NATURALLY ASPIRATED ENGINE? | Competition Plus

Now

https://www.facebook.com/frank.tamez.12
Pretty sick race car...... and a really bad pit cart too!!!
Old 01-22-2018, 08:33 AM   #14

Quote:
Pretty sick race car...... and a really bad pit cart too!!!
Thanks.

The fact that you said "Pit Cart" tells me you know a bit about racing