RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRUCK CONVERSIONS, MDT's & HDT's FORUMS > Truck Conversions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-19-2018, 11:59 AM   #1

5,600 miles in 5 weeks

First off; WE LOVE THIS COACH!!!! To save skipping to my signature to see what we own it is a 2018 Renegade Verona 36VSB.

Having just returned from a 5600 mile odyssey from Fl to CA and back in 5 weeks, 2 of which were in the desert at Quartzite, I feel compelled to share with you the good, the bad and the ugly of our adventure. We undertook this trip as a warm-up for our upcoming trip to Alaska in June. Also, one day my wife happened to mention she had never been to San Diego, so I said, let's do it. We wrapped that into also going to Quartzite for the Gem and RV shows, which my wife had also never been to before. Our last scheduled stop was for Mardi Gras which fell this year on my 75th b'day, so we had to do it and she had not been there either (Mardi Gras).

I'll start with the UGLY since the only ugly was a #$%^*& truck in Texas spewing rocks at 70 MPH and my windshield decided to stop a few, the rocks won.

The BAD:

The weather. Most of the country this year had/has below normal temps and our first night out we got to the 20's and for the next 3-4 days heading west it was the same plus almost everywhere we went the temps were below normal.

The GOOD:

Please re-read the first line above.

As an opinionated ex-engineer (and worse) and after owning 2 gas class c's, 1 gas class A, 2 DPs (one production, 1 custom) and now this coach, my wife and I both agree this has quickly become our favorite (13,000 miles since 6/17). There are a few things I wish we had (dual pane windows), but nothing we can't live without.

Mileage was exceptioanl when on the flats with little or no wind or tail wind. From the Scan Guage, our high was 11.5 and I ignore the lows anyway lol. On average it is hard to say true mileage as we used the generator for a more than 100 hrs, but almost never less than 7.5 MPG with genny use. Most times when on the flats Scan Guage even on windy conditions was usually 9+. I guess I should mention I only have 2 speeds, 63 and 68 with bursts to insanity

For those with questions on the stock L9 350HP 1000ft lbs, it gets the job done. We tow a 5,000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited (gotta have my off-roading lol). Worst climb was a 6 mile 7% grade (Top of the World outside Apache Juction, AZ), we had no problems maintaing 50-55 (except for big rigs and this is 2 lane). Yes I wish I still had my DD Series 60, but the stock setup works well (enough).

I won't bore you with the condition of our highways as you already know but we also took many old side roads and they were rough too. The coach came home with everything still working, no new sqeeks or rattles (never had any). Plan to change couch to theater seats as others have done and will probably get a Racaro Drivers seat, although the stock one is very good for 2018.

We now feel quite secure in the Verona being able to handle the trip to Alaska and back in comfort and reliability. That trip will be about 12,000 miles and 3 months (looking for travel buddies to join us).

Ziggy8321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2018, 07:32 PM   #2

We looked into some Veronas last year, that is a nice coach.

Old 02-20-2018, 06:16 AM   #3
Administrator Emeritus

Nice post..... Glad you're a happy camper.

And you'll never regret the theater seats.
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 10:46 AM   #4

nice write up !
We just got back from a 10+ day trip thru Ca. also.
Weather was ok for the week we were there, not to cold or hot.

The rig performed flawless...

On the subject of the seats what do the 2018s look like ( front drivers is what I'm asking about ).

I have about zero adjustments on mine ( 2017 ).

Thanks Ziggy
Bruce
deputybubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 10:56 AM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Alaska will be a cake walk. Might have to control that urge to go " 63 and 68 with bursts to insanity speed on the Alcan. Are you doing the TOW / Top of the World route?
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 04:37 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by deputybubba View Post
nice write up !
We just got back from a 10+ day trip thru Ca. also.
Weather was ok for the week we were there, not to cold or hot.

The rig performed flawless...

On the subject of the seats what do the 2018s look like ( front drivers is what I'm asking about ).

I have about zero adjustments on mine ( 2017 ).

Thanks Ziggy
Bruce
Bruce, they made a change in the seats for 2018. We have both seats that swivel, both have 3 lumber adjustments (air), jounce resistance, seat cushion length and of course height and forward-aft (that adjustment is a pain)
Old 02-20-2018, 04:38 PM   #7

Nice.. I'll have to look for some 2018 seats
Old 02-20-2018, 04:38 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superslif View Post
Alaska will be a cake walk. Might have to control that urge to go " 63 and 68 with bursts to insanity speed on the Alcan. Are you doing the TOW / Top of the World route?
Haven't finalized the route yet. Have heard many warnings about the TOW.
Old 02-20-2018, 05:35 PM   #9
Administrator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy8321 View Post
Bruce, they made a change in the seats for 2018. We have both seats that swivel, both have 3 lumber adjustments (air), jounce resistance, seat cushion length and of course height and forward-aft (that adjustment is a pain)
Ditto on the fore and aft adjustment being a pain....
Old 02-20-2018, 05:41 PM   #10

Same for mine.. That's my only adjustment. Luckily I just push it back as far as possible.
Old 02-20-2018, 06:31 PM   #11
Administrator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by deputybubba View Post
Same for mine.. That's my only adjustment. Luckily I just push it back as far as possible.
I'm 5'6" on a good day....that ship ain't sailing.