Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRUCK CONVERSIONS, MDT's & HDT's FORUMS > Truck Conversions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-08-2016, 08:46 AM   #1

About springs..

Anyone here while building change their rigs springs based on weight of the unit ? This seems to be a bit of a mysterious science..

I don't need to but I am curious of the results..

Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2016, 08:46 PM   #2

Most of the newer trucks ride on air. Air bags adjust the pressure inside automatically and the ride height is also automatically kept at the same level. With steel springs you do get a harsh bumpy ride when empty. But I would be inclined to add ballast rather than change the springs. That would soften-up the ride. Use the trial and error method by adding weight until you get the best possible ride. What truck do you have?

Old 03-09-2016, 08:18 AM   #3

I have a class 5 freightliner and am set up the same was as most, if not all, class 8s. Springs / air in the rear. Springs in the front.

The ride isn't bad but I think I can do better...playing with the set up is part of the fun of ownership.. The numbers tell me that I have oodles of capacity however, I am well acquainted with the theory / reality gap and I don't want to make changes on anecdotal info..

I have played with the air pressures of the tires which has been positive.

Truck weight - 13.9K pounds

As weighed:

Front axle - 6K
Rear axle (dually) - 7900K

Front axle rating - 9K pounds even though I have seen 10 to 12K but my money is on 9.
Rear axle rating - 17.5K pounds.

Pin weight is @ 2K - I have a mccall airbag 5th hitch. I understand there is a transference of weight when under hard braking but haven't found a calculation to define it.

Am I best to leave this one alone ?
Old 03-09-2016, 01:56 PM   #4

90psi gives a more comfortable ride and better grip in slippery conditions over 100/110psi. But it does give more rolling resistance and increased tread wear.
An easy way to get more comfort is to buy a good air-ride seat. A Bose seat is expensive but changes a truck ride into a car ride.

Have you checked the shocks and wheel alignment?
Old 03-09-2016, 05:15 PM   #5

I actually run 80 psi w/o any probs..however, I am replacing all 6 tires this spring. The last owner didn't believe in balancing the tires. I balanced the front last year..it helped a lot. How I arrived at the 80 was by using the tire manufacturers chart for weight..80 psi did the job that was required however, I have been told not to go below 90 which makes me wonder why it was listed in the chart.

My cab is air suspended and i put in a set of commodore seats from national that are, quite frankly, awesome. I did a run of 11 hours and was still fresh as a daisy...and I have quite a damaged spine in 2 areas.

I looks at Bose but they wouldn't fit in my cab.

New shocks on the front but no wheel alignment..i will when I put new tires on..but I didn't have an pulling or handling issues.