Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Alaska, Canada, Mexico and Beyond
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-05-2018, 07:45 AM   #1

Alaska 2019

We are planning our trip to Alaska for next summer. We plan to boondock as much as possible. Do any of you who have made the trip have suggestions for beautiful camping spots that will accommodate a 40 ft rig? Planning to travel through Banff and Jasper. Thanks.
Farmer12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2018, 08:50 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Have you established your departure date yet? Will you be towing a toad? Have you considered what replacement parts you will carry with you? Some have indicated difficulty in obtaining fuel pump, serpentine belt, etc. due to location of breakdown.

If wife's health improves would like to go next year too but concerned about the time required and possible medical assistance if needed.

Will be watching for suggestions from those who have made the trip.
Old 12-05-2018, 12:49 PM   #3

We went in Summer of ‘16. Stayed in roadside turnouts, rest areas, and truck stops, until we had to stop in Edmonton for generator repairs. Then no more campgrounds until Tok.

We only had 40 days, so I drove all day, each day until we got to Tok, stopping wherever was convenient at the edge of dark. Pretty much anywhere in western Canada or the Yukon was beautiful.

Used a truckers app to map out fuel stops, buying fuel when the fuel stop looked well used. Carried every spare part, filter, and fluid my Detroit Diesel service center recommended.

Be sure to carry plenty of windshield cleaner! The bugs were amazing!
Old 12-05-2018, 02:00 PM   #4

Farmer12, we are also planning that same trip this coming summer 2019. Planning on leaving Florida in June returning August (3 months).

If interested in a travel buddy, let's talk.
Ziggy8321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 02:57 PM   #5

Many years ago I lived in Anchorage for 4 years. Bring a case of bug spray for mosquitoes and don't pas up a gas station. Likely the front of your RV will look like it was hit with a million rocks, oh it will be!
Old 12-06-2018, 07:04 AM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy8321 View Post
Farmer12, we are also planning that same trip this coming summer 2019. Planning on leaving Florida in June returning August (3 months).

If interested in a travel buddy, let's talk.

Also considering making this trip from Orlando area.
BobDike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 07:13 AM   #7

The more the merrier Safety in numbers etc.

We had to cancel the trip this year due to family illness, but unless eithe the DW or I get run over, we are going.

We are also going to the Tampa show in January and would gladly meet with anyone considering going and discuss possibilities etc.

Since we are allocating 3 months for the trip, we have no need to "haul ass" to get there and plan to spend time visiting/revisiting many US stops along the way. Boondocking whenever practical is also our preferred method of traveling.
Old 12-06-2018, 08:12 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coarsegold View Post
Many years ago I lived in Anchorage for 4 years. Bring a case of bug spray for mosquitoes and don't pas up a gas station. Likely the front of your RV will look like it was hit with a million rocks, oh it will be!
Yeah??? If you're traveling 70mph and 3' behind the guy ahead. We've been up in 06, 07, 09, 11, 13, 15, 17, 18, and will go again in 19. No damage unless you call a window break from a rock on a 4 lane divided highway in Alberta, an Alaska problem. Do be prepared to clean windshield 2-3 times a day for the bugs, but you'll see that going to Florida in the summer. We carry mosquito head nets and never used them. A squirt og OFF or the like will do. Plenty of fuel, but higher cost, PLENTY of places to camp, boondock, or whatever. Fishing is to die for and once you go up you'll want to go back. The 06 trip was to be a "once in a lifetime" trip. Yeah, right! Medical treatment IS THIN and you can go 100 or more miles without cell service. Campgrounds are gravel parking lots with tight spacing and few amenities, but people you meet are great and you can leave the suit and tie home. Have fun!!!
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 08:29 AM   #9

Here is my tentative route/map for the Alaska 2020 trip.

https://goo.gl/maps/sGCGAGhQKe32

I haven't added the "Top of the World Highway" loop through Dawson yet.

I'd appreciate feedback on this route.

My plan is to go north one route and return via BC, Denver etc.
Old 12-06-2018, 08:42 AM   #10

Quote:

https://goo.gl/maps/Rd5ao3gZbRm

2017 we did "Top of the world highway" took the ferry at Dawson Creak. Go slow and enjoy it! don't go on a rainy day, too much mud.
Old 12-06-2018, 09:29 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
I agree don't go on the Top of the World road on rainy days-very muddy. You should consider adding the Kenai Peninsula; Whittier (drive thru the one way rail road tunnel), Seward ( Alaska SeaLife Center), don't miss Homer (great fishing for Halibut-dry camp on the Spit). One other consideration would be Valdez (very picturesque harbor and mountains-enjoy the ride thru the Thompson Pass and waterfalls).

We used RV Adventure Videos by John Holod to help plane out trip.

https://rvadventurevideos.com/

Safe Travels and THE JOY IS IN THE RIDE
RV735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 10:40 AM   #12

Quote:

https://goo.gl/maps/sGCGAGhQKe32

Don't know how much time you have, but additional places to consider would be a drive down the Kenai to Homer with stops at Seward and Whittier. (You driver through a RR tunnel under a glacier to get to Whittier). Another run to Valdez is time well spent, and if you're really feeling frisky, a drive to Deadhorse (Prudhoe Bay) and a run to Chena Hot Springs. You can fly up to Deadhorse and they'll drive you down in a van (2 day drive) or run it in reverse. Side trips to the Kendicott are fascinating too as you drive on the old railroad bed, and of course, a run through Denali.
Old 12-08-2018, 07:00 AM   #13

Thanks for some good feedback. Glad to hear that other people with large RVs have made the trip without problems. We will leave from Virginia in May and return after Labor Day. Still working on our route, but will take our time. We tow a Chevy Silverado, so that makes us about 65 feet. A couple of you mentioned a railroad tunnel to Whittier - any height restrictions?

Definitely would like to fish. Any recommendations for good charter?

Petrol - we live just up the bay in Reedville.
Farmer12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 07:38 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer12 View Post
Thanks for some good feedback. Glad to hear that other people with large RVs have made the trip without problems. We will leave from Virginia in May and return after Labor Day. Still working on our route, but will take our time. We tow a Chevy Silverado, so that makes us about 65 feet. A couple of you mentioned a railroad tunnel to Whittier - any height restrictions?

Definitely would like to fish. Any recommendations for good charter?

Petrol - we live just up the bay in Reedville.
You'll have a great time. BTW, our rig is a bit over 70' with the Silverado attached. I never checked on any tunnel height limit, but trains run through so I don't think its a problem. When we went to Whittier we just drove the toad in and left the RV on the outside. There are a number of open areas along the Seward Highway where you can park the RV for the day or even longer, lock it up, and drive the toad in. We actually dry camped for a few days to explore the area. Once in Whittier, be sure to get an ice cream cone and sit on the benches to watch the folks launch and recover in the small boat harbor. Really a laugh if the wind is up, as a lot of folks don't know too much about boat handling in a stiff breeze. Leaving the coach outside is also a lot cheaper. As far as fishing is concerned, you can fish from Homer on the party boats, but you'll either be taken to the local chicken hole (small halibut) or 100 miles out to the edge of the Gulf of Alaska for the big ones. A very long, rough ride. We recommend fishing from Ninilchik, a short distance north of Homer. Their boats stay in Cook Inlet so your ride is a half hour to the fishing grounds. Try to book a 6 pack, 6 anglers only, and watch the rules for what days you can fish. Day limit is 2 butts, one big and one small on a charter. Any of the guys you find on the internet are great, but we've fished Alaska Fishing Fever a number of times. Call ahead. Some of the charters also run combined halibut and salmon charters but you'll need to check timing and who does what. Ninilchik also has RV parks with and without hookups, so you can pick what you want and avoid the zoo at the Homer spit. We fish Valdez with a 14' inflatable for salmon and go out with friends for halibut. The salmon fishing there is great, but very date specific with pinks coming in around or after July 4 and silvers after the first week in August. Halibut from Valdez is also a long boat ride for the charters but the locals know the closer holes.