Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRUCK CONVERSIONS, MDT's & HDT's FORUMS > Truck Conversions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-03-2008, 10:49 AM   #1

Here's the plan:

We currently are considering going to a Class 8, or possibly custom DP chassis. The reason is we feel that we can get more what WE want instead of some off-the-shelf universal box.

Thoughts - narrower and lower than normal, but with lots of slides. Anything over a 6.5' roof height is overkill. Aluminum frame / fiberglass chassis. Fully adjustable air suspension, with IFS. Air-selectable twin-screw.

Interior well appointed, and full-featured - but we neither need, nor appreciate, stone flooring or high $$ amenities. Leather, yes - Corian . . OK . . . vinyl, OK - crystal and fancy lighitng - ostentatious!!

Lots of storage space - at least 48K GVW - 64K GCW, with a class 4 hitch and full trailer air brakes. At least a 12K generator and 200 gallons of fuel and water capacity.

King bed - stacker washer/dryer (no Splendide 1-piece). No overhead bunk. Thinking a 500 Cummmins with a 9-speed auto.

Willing to work with engineering team, and comfortable with build times in the 24 month range. Money is obviously an object, but expect to spend close to what a comparable Marathon would run. Anybody want to work with us??

I've designed and had built 3 custom rigs. Looking for a serious and capable vendor!!

Reply or PM me. We can talk. Renegade, Cowboy Cadillac, want my $$ ???

FMCA; WIT; FCOA; Good Sam; Passport
porscheracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2008, 10:49 AM   #2

Here's the plan:

We currently are considering going to a Class 8, or possibly custom DP chassis. The reason is we feel that we can get more what WE want instead of some off-the-shelf universal box.

Thoughts - narrower and lower than normal, but with lots of slides. Anything over a 6.5' roof height is overkill. Aluminum frame / fiberglass chassis. Fully adjustable air suspension, with IFS. Air-selectable twin-screw.

Interior well appointed, and full-featured - but we neither need, nor appreciate, stone flooring or high $$ amenities. Leather, yes - Corian . . OK . . . vinyl, OK - crystal and fancy lighitng - ostentatious!!

Lots of storage space - at least 48K GVW - 64K GCW, with a class 4 hitch and full trailer air brakes. At least a 12K generator and 200 gallons of fuel and water capacity.

King bed - stacker washer/dryer (no Splendide 1-piece). No overhead bunk. Thinking a 500 Cummmins with a 9-speed auto.

Willing to work with engineering team, and comfortable with build times in the 24 month range. Money is obviously an object, but expect to spend close to what a comparable Marathon would run. Anybody want to work with us??

I've designed and had built 3 custom rigs. Looking for a serious and capable vendor!!

Reply or PM me. We can talk. Renegade, Cowboy Cadillac, want my $$ ???

Old 10-07-2008, 09:23 AM   #3

Try www.sorcestrailersales.com i bet Dave would take your project on and get it done. tell em JT sent you
Old 10-07-2008, 03:22 PM   #4

Thanks for the link.

I'm also currently in touch with Transport Designs. We'll see where it goes.

I very much like the Freightliner Maxxum chassis, but am somewhat put-off by the limited packaging options from the manufacturers.

Old 10-09-2008, 06:52 PM   #5

Interestingly enough, there is a Renegade dealer in the vendors' area here at the track. We had a nice long conversation. Not sure he has what I want, but he's looking into some options.

Old 12-17-2008, 02:53 PM   #6

Based on what you originally said, it doesn't seem like a Renegade would be for you. I am considering a semi conversion now as well though I don't have quite the budget you seem to have. For the same reasons I have been researching many and I see them basically classed into either production or custom.

I have been in discussion with Showhauler and NRC. Though I have a few others to contact, the wood and FRP construction of something like a Renegade won't be one of them for what I do.

If you care to the contacts are as follows:
Lonnie Troyer at Showhauler (LTroyer@Showhauler.com) and Mike Lapp at NRC (Mike@NRCMOD.com).

Others I have seen are United Specialties, Wildside, Haulmark, Optima and Chariot and there are others. It appears some build the big stuff you are looking for. I am looking for something to tow here in California.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-17-2008, 02:58 PM   #7

Ooops! Aluminum frame huh? Forgot about that. Maybe try Optima.