Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRUCK CONVERSIONS, MDT's & HDT's FORUMS > Truck Conversions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-20-2015, 05:53 AM   #15
VCD

CA - length -

I appreciate all the responses. We live in the US and will register it in FL. The rig we are considering is almost 47' and I just wanted to make sure if we buy it we aren't going to have a problem if we want to visit Canada. I also see restrictions for other states like CA that I know has different lengths. Am I right in assuming that if it is registered in Fl it is legal to drive in CA? since I see they are more strenuous with their restrictions.

I did email RVDA.ca and this is the response I got:
"It would appear that you should be able to license the units with longer lengths but they would fall under a commercial vehicle (truck) classification. I would check with the applicable motor vehicle branches to see if you need a different drivers license or not. Other than that the units likely will need a sign on the side that state "Not for Hire" to show that you are not using it for commercial purposes. If there are air brakes, you will need an air brake endorsement added to your license."

But I think in FL we can register it as a Motorhome, no length issue, at least by what I have read. Any one know anything about what she was saying in registering it as commercial - seems to me that would add more costs and trouble.

(oh and I probably want be driving crazy or anything to attract attention of the police.... My wife want let me.)

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2015, 09:02 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
I expect if you are able to register it you will be able to travel to Canada. If there is a length issue I believe it will be because you drew attention to yourself for another reason such as speeding or careless driving.

Drivers license requirements are honored by other states and Canada if you are legal in your home state.

Length and weight are local but as I said you are generally OK if you dont draw attention to yourself.

Old 06-23-2015, 06:48 PM   #17
VCD

length

Thanks for the comments, I believe what you are saying is correct. I did contact Renegade and they basically said the same thing. They did say the putting the "not for Hire" on the door was a useless gesture, just register it as a motorhome and there should be no issue - I do realize it is in Renegades best interest to say that since it is one of theirs, but that is basically what I read everywhere, now the hard part... to decide buy or not.. still debating.
Old 06-24-2015, 10:28 AM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Make the decision quickly if you can. If you go for it every day you procrastinate is a day that is gone.
Old 06-25-2015, 06:18 AM   #19
VCD

I agree with that, now it is if they will agree to a price we can live with. There are a few things we will want to add/change on it and we have to take that in to consideration for what we will pay and feel it is worth - so we will see. Our plan is to full time in this vehicle and so we want to make sure we get what we can live with.
Old 06-25-2015, 06:35 AM   #20

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Just to add something I saw a while back. I was going past a music concert venue I believe it was the Neil Diamond tour in Edmonton alberta.
I was amazed at the lengths of the tour buses and their tt's. They may possibly have had permits but with that said I am sure you would not have any problems. Permits in alberta are easy to acquire all they want is to know what is on the roads.
I would advise entry in Alberta as it is really hassle free as long as your are up front about your intentions. Alberta is the best gateway province to Alaska.
Old 07-07-2015, 09:27 AM   #21

Don't forget that in all but 6 states (including FL), maximum RV length is 45' or less: Good Sam Camping
Old 07-08-2015, 06:21 AM   #22
VCD

camping length

I know most places say 45' or less some say 35' or less, but I've camped enough to know they are not going to measure, it really is if you fit in the site it is ok, the key is IF you fit in the site. Most of the Florida state parks are 35' or less and there will be some difficulties fitting in, but if you pick your site carefully in at least most of the campgrounds you can wiggle in... Places like Fort Desoto in Tampa might be the exception - pretty tight.

After doing a lot of reviewing I don't believe the length is going to be a major issue, if registered as an RV it is not subject to the trucking rules and should not cause us any issues other than fitting in to campgrounds which anything over 35 is limiting anyway. Well maybe turning and parking - we live on 40 acres and were trying to figure out if we bought it how we would get it in the drive and turn around - we just gave up and decided we would put a gate and go out in the pasture and turn around... you know "Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around... " wasn't that how that song went
Old 07-08-2015, 06:27 AM   #23
VCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuke-E View Post
Don't forget that in all but 6 states (including FL), maximum RV length is 45' or less: Good Sam Camping
You mean road restrictions - sorry mis-read your message. I have looked at that, but I went to the DOT sights and from everything we have read I think that should not be an issue. I also talked to Renegade (and I know it is their truck, not going to say anything bad - they built it), but I believe as a registered RV and the new road regs it should be OK, some roads we will have to avoid - but less face it it is a semi-Truck so we aren't going to be going down a lot of back roads - just to much of a Monster.

Thanks for your post, I am going to go back and re-check the regs again to make sure - I will update this if we get the rig, still really really like it - but soooo much money.
Old 07-08-2015, 10:44 AM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by VCD View Post
I know most places say 45' or less some say 35' or less, but I've camped enough to know they are not going to measure, it really is if you fit in the site it is ok, the key is IF you fit in the site. Most of the Florida state parks are 35' or less and there will be some difficulties fitting in, but if you pick your site carefully in at least most of the campgrounds you can wiggle in... Places like Fort Desoto in Tampa might be the exception - pretty tight.

After doing a lot of reviewing I don't believe the length is going to be a major issue, if registered as an RV it is not subject to the trucking rules and should not cause us any issues other than fitting in to campgrounds which anything over 35 is limiting anyway. Well maybe turning and parking - we live on 40 acres and were trying to figure out if we bought it how we would get it in the drive and turn around - we just gave up and decided we would put a gate and go out in the pasture and turn around... you know "Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around... " wasn't that how that song went
In our jurisdiction it would be subject to the weight and length and width rules the truckers have to follow. It is just that at the moment enforcement has not been addressed to recreational vehicles.

The one exception that I am aware of is we do not have to keep log books and are not subject to hours of operation and rest breaks.
Old 07-28-2015, 01:39 AM   #25

You are limited to 45ft max single unit, 65ft towing. That said the likelyhood of being stopped and measured is fairly low, however if you are measured(most provinces have random enforcement blitzes where all types of vehicles are stopped and inspected on all levels) and found to be overlength you will be ticketed and made to purchase a one way over dimensional permit to the nearest exit of the province(not necessarily where you are headed). If towing they will make you unhook and find a legal way of finishing your trip. Have witnessed this scenario many times. It comes down to how lucky do you feel.

As indicated before Canadian Border Services could care less what you are driving into Canada, just so long as you drive it home with you.
Old 07-28-2015, 03:10 AM   #26

Renegade is a nice Rig, get it , have fun, don't worry....It all good....
Old 07-30-2015, 06:36 AM   #27
VCD

"You are limited to 45ft max single unit, 65ft towing. That said the likelyhood of being stopped and measured is fairly low, however if you are measured(most provinces have random enforcement blitzes where all types of vehicles are stopped and inspected on all levels) and found to be overlength you will be ticketed and made to purchase a one way over dimensional permit to the nearest exit of the province(not necessarily where you are headed). If towing they will make you unhook and find a legal way of finishing your trip. Have witnessed this scenario many times. It comes down to how lucky do you feel. "

The overall length would be below the 65' length - and while I don't gamble - I am feeling pretty lucky ... I do agree Genecop - good rig, and it will all be good, we are looking at it - after a lot of research I am pretty much over the length - now it is just deciding if it is the right rig for us.

Tags
travel