Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRUCK CONVERSIONS, MDT's & HDT's FORUMS > Truck Conversions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-15-2015, 04:06 PM   #1
VCD

Canadian travel - restrictions for conversions - length, etc.

I was wondering if anyone knows the current length restrictions or any restrictions for crossing into canada with Truck conversions? I looked on the site for motorhomes and wondered if they are the same?
VCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2015, 10:05 AM   #2

You may need to go to each province's highway department for the rules and regulations.
I know that a double tow, is allowed in Alberta but not in B.C., so some regulations are different.
How long is your RV ? With and with-out trailer ( toad) ?
Old 06-16-2015, 11:39 AM   #3
VCD

Renegade

We are looking at purchasing a 46' 11" Renegade with garage Truck conversion we will tow a vehicle behind it. I see most of the provinces say 14 meters for motorhomes, but I don't know if the Truck conversion is classified the same if it is then this would be too long to travel to Canada, although we might could get an over-length permit that just seems like an added hassle.. We will primarily travel the US, but their is the obligatory trip (or 2...3) to Alaska and we would certainly like to check out some of Canada as well and at least want that as an option.
Old 06-17-2015, 09:37 AM   #4

You could also call Renegade. I think they build their coaches to pass Canadian specifications so they should be able to tell you if it's okay. Sounds like a great plan to buy a Truck Conversion! I love mine.
Old 06-17-2015, 09:42 AM   #5

Just curious, why go over 45ft. Just seems to me it could be trouble in the future for a couple of feet.
But I doubt any Officer would actually measure it unless you started asking questions, just saying.
Old 06-18-2015, 07:02 AM   #6
VCD

length

I plan on calling renegade again today, left a message the other day hopefully they can tell me.

And the reason to go longer is not by choice - it is what it is, if we were building it I would stay under the 45, and I kind of agree are they really going to measure it, but if their was an issue - accident or something driving an oversized rig could ... complicate things - so the question is do we buy it or not, tough decision. I suppose we could always get an oversized permit but again that seems like a lot of trouble - totally undecided.

Thanks for your help - open to advice....
Old 06-18-2015, 09:05 AM   #7

I was a Owner - Operator and when it comes to oversize permits it vary's. Some states you can't move on weekends, holidays, night, rain and only on certain roads, mostly Interstates. Price of permits also vary greatly in price. Sometimes we sat for a day in a truckstop waiting for a permit. Just trying to help, 336muffin
Old 06-18-2015, 04:31 PM   #8
VCD

permit

I am not worried about it for the US, the 47' would be legal on most highways and most others probably won't question in the US for a personal non-commercial rig. My big concern is when you pull up to the border to go to Canada for a summer or to get to Alaska are they going to turn you around or are they even going to notice and if so can you get an oversized permit to drive in Canada and what kind of hassle? I have asked the dealer to verify the actual length, when I called he just said it was "big"... kind of need it narrowed down so he is going to get the actual specs.

Once that question is decided... any one have a Renegade TC and if so any thoughts on it good or bad? Oh and has any one crossed the border in it? and if so did they ask the length?
Old 06-18-2015, 09:53 PM   #9

RVDA of Canada - Provincial RV Regulations

I always thought it was 45 ft max for a straight frame truck and 65 ft total. Reading this (and doing the conversion), I see you can have almost 46 ft and a bit over 65 1/2 total. Hmmm may need to buy a new one.
G Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 09:59 PM   #10

Here is the US regulations for length
Good Sam Camping
G Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 12:17 AM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Your best bet is to call Canada Border Services in the province where you are planning to cross. Go right to the horses mouth so to speak. Once you are across the border, I think it would be unlikely that you ever be stopped over a matter of a foot. Make sure you have a short toad.
Old 06-19-2015, 06:52 AM   #12

If you are buying this rig in the US and you live in Canada, you may not be allowed to import it into Canada.. many Canadian buyers have made that mistake..
grassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 07:03 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
You question seems to be phrased towards visitation to Canada but several responses refer to importation.

If you are looking to drive a vehicle into Canada for a visit you will have to follow the local rules for length and weight. That said I believe if you are registered in your home state you will be unlikely to be hassled unless you are doing something stupid like speeding or driving erratically to attract the attention of the police.

The border is manned by Canadian Border Patrol who I believe are mainly interested in Transport Canada regulations. If you are driving a registered vehicle I do not think they will say anything. If you are concerned a call to the CBP would be in order. They will certainly give you better answers than I.

Importation of vehicles into Canada is covered by Transport Canada. They list on their website the vehicles that are cleared for importation into Canada.
Old 06-19-2015, 12:59 PM   #14

In regards to Canadian Border Agency, they will not enforce road regulations but, they will be interested if you are importing it in Canada. The enforcement of road regs is done by the DOT, for BC I have copied a link for you to review on BC's regs. You are correct as 14m is the max for a 3 axle bus / rv. See section 7.08 (3)
Commercial Transport Regulations

Tags
travel