RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRUCK CONVERSIONS, MDT's & HDT's FORUMS > Truck Conversions
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-04-2019, 06:21 AM   #1

Carefree Awning Again

Our Carefree awning has been cycled no more than 10 times since new. Yesterday it failed to totally retract in the back. The front is pulled in flush but the rear is not completely in. When it gets almost up hook rides over the bottom pin. I can see the exposed pin. I have tried pulling it down when it gets close to the pin but that did not work.

Anything suggestions?

2004 Blue Bird M380 (sold)
RonLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2019, 06:38 AM   #2

It may be out of adjustment due to loose adjustment screws. You can look up the service manual online to learn how to make the adjustments. It is not hard to adjust other than going up and down a ladder numerous times.

Any easy check of the adjustment is made at the awning rail that extends. Put it out at least half way and then measure from the end cap on each end to the arm bracket. The distance should be within a 1/4 inch on each end of the rail. Don't be concerned with the middle arm for this quick check.

tdeperte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 06:41 AM   #3

Tony, I just did a little edit with more info.

Thanks for the help
Old 06-04-2019, 06:53 AM   #4

Ron, do you have a Verona or LE?
Old 06-04-2019, 03:05 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdeperte View Post
Ron, do you have a Verona or LE?
Verona LE. We saw a eastbound Verona this morning in the Marianna, FL area. You?
Old 06-04-2019, 03:07 PM   #6

Update...

Early this morning we went online and found a Carefree dealer who did warranty work and called them. They, of course, were busy and said that all the techs were busy. I told them that I considered this a safety issue and sorta begged. We were about 90 miles away in Mariannna, Fl and the dealer was Dixie RV in DeFunick Springs, FL. They said, after that to bring it right in. We did and a tech was there...amazing! Anyway he worked on it for 2.5 hours, adjusting the front and the back and reprogramming the control which had stopped working during his ins and outs. We have not tested it because we are afraid to. Dixie RV is also a Girard dealer and said the trouble is equal between the brands.
Old 06-04-2019, 04:18 PM   #7

I was having same issues closing but mostly opening one end would hang up and not open. I read through the adjustment procedures several times and then had at it. What I found was the lead rail needs to be level front to back with the coach but even more important is that the bottom of lead rail is level with ground in and out. This changes the angle that makes it ride over the pins correctly. I also dropped the pitch as much as I could in the process and still have it clear the slide-out. The awning now works flawlessly, and is much quieter when it closes and opens out of the cassette, no more clunking and banging.

Tom C
twc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 05:13 PM   #8

I don't have an LE so yours probably has more adjustments than I'm familiar with.
Old 06-04-2019, 05:32 PM   #9

As far as I know same awning on both.

Tom c
twc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 02:00 PM   #10

I called Carefree today to discuss this week's awning failure and ask what to do if it fails again...like take it to their factory. The answer was that they do not do any work on end user's coaches at their factory.

The woman I talked to was quite unpleasant to deal with. Dismissive, condescending and downright rude. I asked if there had been any redesigns because I had heard that they sent a dealer all new innards to fix a Verona LE's awning. Like pulling teeth but she finally admitted that they had made some changes to the parts that affected how evenly the canvas rolls back up into the housing.

My problem, as others, is that the awning gets out of adjustment and will not engage the hooks on the end caps. I told her that my awning failed to go up and lock during the prepurchase walk through. North Trail worked on it from noon until 7 PM before I would close. Since we got the coach in mid October of last year we have used the awning maybe 10 times.

Then, early this week I extended the awning and when I retracted it the rear hook rode over the locking pin instead of going under and locking. As I said in an earlier post a Carefree dealer took us in and spent 2.5 hours adjusting it. This was after I used the term "safety issue" because I was afraid to drive with an unlocked awning.

She mentioned that a properly adjusted awning will work. I told her about the adjustments made at closing and asked what would cause it to come out of adjustment enough to not lock this week? I told her that I know of several Verona LE owners whose awnings are doing the same thing and has Carefree done anything to address this? No she said.

I asked her what is it that does not stay adjusted? Her answer really got my attention..."How would I know that without talking to the tech that adjusted it?" I said why don't you call your dealer...the one that fixed mine this week and ask what he adjusted? She did not like that suggestion but after some further discussion she made a call to Dixie but the tech was not available. I asked her to call me when she found out. Her answer was that she is too busy taking incoming calls to call me. I said that it doesn't have to be today. She said..."I don't work on Saturday". I said next week would be fine and the answer of what happened would help both of us find out what is going on. She said that she would, but I won't take any bets on hearing from her.

There has been a lot of mention about a class action suit on Facebook and here. I doubt that will happen for lots of reasons...mostly based on the effort and money involved.

But what about exploring a safety recall with the appropriate federal agency? An unlocked awning should qualify.
Old 06-11-2019, 04:21 PM   #11

Ron was there any mention, or do you know if your awning was installed with the Renegade specific 6 degree brackets? Can anyone else verify that their Verona LE Apex Awning has been installed with the 6 degree brackets?
Doug Darby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 04:58 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Darby View Post
Ron was there any mention, or do you know if your awning was installed with the Renegade specific 6 degree brackets? Can anyone else verify that their Verona LE Apex Awning has been installed with the 6 degree brackets?
Doug,

I don't think I have the 6 degree brackets. That is a fix (hopefully) that they started after I got mine in October. It was an August build.

JCAT is at the factory now and I think they may put them on his but not sure. He has had more than his share of problems with the awning.

The Carefree customer service dismissive person had never heard of it when I asked her.
Old 06-11-2019, 06:42 PM   #13

Ron / Doug - Renegade is installing the 6 degree bracket or shim now on our coach while we are here having a number of things done. No guarantee this will be a solution but it is something.
Former Coach - Newmar London Aire
JCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 07:40 PM   #14

Mine is going in to Renegade mid July for the 6 deg bracket install. The previous Customer Service Manager with CFOC sent an entire new roller/motor/Fabric assembly with a newer design on the rollers. It showed a lot of promise as a solution but after four successful deployments of the awning at the dealership and one at our next destination it then again totally failed to deploy. I’m hopeful these New brackets will resolve the issue. Please keep us informed and best of luck (to us all)
Thanks for sharing.

Doug Darby is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning