RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRUCK CONVERSIONS, MDT's & HDT's FORUMS > Truck Conversions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-10-2018, 09:44 AM   #1
Administrator Emeritus

Carefree Awning Inop....AGAIN

Figured I'd start a new thread, with hopes of gaining more and more adverse comments about the Carefree Awnings that many of us have on our Renegades.

As some may recall, I had issues with this awning right from the original PDI and it was one of my "gripe" items in my warranty visit to North Trail a week or two ago.... Worked ok for a week or so, but now there's nothing...

Hadn't deployed the awning in recent days as it's been windy here in Fort Myers, but I tried to deploy it yesterday morning and it was a no go.

What I find funny is that, when you push the button you can hear a sound like it is trying to turn, but then nothing happens. Same sound when you push retract but nothing happens.

Not sure I can get into North Trail before I head home, so this might be something I get my local tech to look at.

Basically, I am of the opinion that Carefree is CRAP.

rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2018, 09:50 AM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Have Carefree on my rig but they are Apex which look like Girards. I had problems, sometimes they would work and sometimes not. Sometimes they would go out and immediately retract.
Traced it down to a broken top on a rooftop connection box. There was an inch of water in the box and the controll connections were submerged. Dried it out, cleaned the connections, got a new top and reassembled it. No priblems since.
BTW: if you're going to wait on a dealer to do minor repairs you're always going to be dissatisfied.

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 03:00 PM   #3
Administrator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
BTW: if you're going to wait on a dealer to do minor repairs you're always going to be dissatisfied.
While I understand the context of your statement, my situation for the past four months has been a little different than most.... We purchased the Renegade from North Trail RV and for the past four months we've been wintering ONE EXIT from their establishment.
As my rig is still in warranty, I've asked North Trail to service the issues that I've found and other than the crappy awning, I've been satisfied with their performance.

Were I out of warranty, I am more than capable of fixing minor issues....
Old 04-10-2018, 03:42 PM   #4

On our 2017 Verona it does the same thing.......motor runs/awning does nothing. Its only one of the many problems we have now decided to live with. Who needs the awning anyway.
netjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 03:47 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelsbeach View Post
While I understand the context of your statement, my situation for the past four months has been a little different than most.... We purchased the Renegade from North Trail RV and for the past four months we've been wintering ONE EXIT from their establishment.
As my rig is still in warranty, I've asked North Trail to service the issues that I've found and other than the crappy awning, I've been satisfied with their performance.

Were I out of warranty, I am more than capable of fixing minor issues....
Ahhh OK- that makes sense then, but I really really hate waiting on a dealer when I can do the work even when it's under warranty, which mine is not.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 05:35 PM   #6

Perhaps I've been lucky so far, but my awning, for the few times we could use it, haas worked as good as it can. As good as it can is pretty poor. Not being able to til makes it' mostly useless and it's wind tolerance is pretty low. Due to the "design features" we seldom use the awning. Other than that we are very pleased with our Verona.
Ziggy8321 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 07:39 PM   #7

Jayco Owners Club
If you over-run the awning going out you can reverse wind it. Happened on mine. Found which direction would run it out again and rebound it correctly. Also a Carefree.

Maybe???
WaltW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 07:08 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy8321 View Post
Perhaps I've been lucky so far, but my awning, for the few times we could use it, haas worked as good as it can. As good as it can is pretty poor. Not being able to til makes it' mostly useless and it's wind tolerance is pretty low. Due to the "design features" we seldom use the awning. Other than that we are very pleased with our Verona.
This has been my experience as well ( not ver useful ). I did have minor adjustments made early on, and at least it deploys and retracts... well I haven't put it out in a few months... so MAYBE it deploys and retracts.

When I had a mis-hap with a tree last summer I briefly investigated going to a tilting version. bottom line was I "may" have had to re-enforce the side mounts and it would be $4k+ ( If I remember correct ) ... went with fixing the one we have and all is good ( as can be expected )...
deputybubba is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 07:49 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Carefree awning

I don't have a Renegade but I do have a carefree awning on my 2017 Holiday Rambler Vacationer. It is the worse piece of crap they could have ever put on a motor home. It is so weak that it must be put away at the least amount of wind. Leaks between motor home and awning. If you want to set out and enjoy the awning it must be a day of no wind at all. Mine has broken two times since last May and both times it was the arm. If they would I would let them put on the old style and then I could tie it off and enjoy watching it rain, or protect my chairs from getting wet. You sure can tell that they never camp.
darbyjudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 04:51 PM   #10

Pure garbage. The main reason I carry an collapsible ladder is I know I will need to hand crank that POS in at the most inopportune time.

It is the only thing on the Verona that makes me shake my head and think "what were they thinking."
I hope Renegade has switched to another set-up and actually tests some under real world conditions.
cment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 04:51 AM   #11
Administrator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cment View Post
I hope Renegade has switched to another set-up and actually tests some under real world conditions.
Couldn't agree more.
Old 04-14-2018, 06:27 AM   #12

When I had the local shop adjust mine, I had them make sure it was in “camping position “ slides out levelers down. These rigs are made stout but wanted to eliminate any chance of a twist or push that might make it bind.
Joe II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 08:58 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by darbyjudy View Post
I don't have a Renegade but I do have a carefree awning on my 2017 Holiday Rambler Vacationer. It is the worse piece of crap they could have ever put on a motor home. It is so weak that it must be put away at the least amount of wind. Leaks between motor home and awning. If you want to set out and enjoy the awning it must be a day of no wind at all. Mine has broken two times since last May and both times it was the arm. If they would I would let them put on the old style and then I could tie it off and enjoy watching it rain, or protect my chairs from getting wet. You sure can tell that they never camp.
I have one on my New Horizons and I have to agree about the wind. It just looks like there are weak spots. I wish I had insisted on old style manual pull out. I NEVER had an issue on the two previous motorhomes with manual awning and way more coverage. The more automatic the rig gets the move problems.
Old 04-15-2018, 10:30 AM   #14

Wow! This is very illuminating.

I just got a quote on replacing our slide toppers with new Carefree slide toppers. While the service center was working up the quote, I asked them to quote a matching awning. The dealer was not a fan of the Carefree awnings, especially the ones that do not have the vertical supports that run down the side of the MH.

Duly noted. Is Girard the way to go?

Tags
awning