Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Renegade Motorhome Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-23-2018, 08:39 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCAT View Post
An interesting realization.

As it turns out - those of us who own or are taking delivery of a Verona LE in the next few months have the only Renegade installations of the Carefree APEX awning on the roof. .
I suspect you are probably correct.. The 2 stage awning on my 2018 Explorer works perfectly. Its not on the roof

Frank
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2018, 11:27 AM   #44
Administrator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Tamez View Post
I suspect you are probably correct.. The 2 stage awning on my 2018 Explorer works perfectly. Its not on the roof

Frank
So here's a trek out into the hypothetical, given that we've seemingly learned that at least "part" of the issue is that the awning is "roof mounted" as opposed to sidewall mounted.

Understanding that there would indeed be holes in the roof to deal with sealing, what would be your thoughts on trying to get Renegade to relocate the present awning down onto the side of the coach? One thing that immediately comes to mind after typing that, is that there might not be a substantial enough "backing" in the sidewall for such an evolution to occur.

What say the masses?
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 11:42 AM   #45

Absolutely worth exploring... Seems to me they are placed on the roof for one of 2 reasons. Or maybe both.

(1) Makes the rig look sleeker (debatable)

(2) Less Chance of it being rubbed off (In which case, you are way too close to something and you should seriously consider whether or not you are qualified to pilot one of these contraptions )

I like my awning and see nothing wrong with the "look"

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0028.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	380.1 KB
ID:	226946
Old 11-23-2018, 11:46 AM   #46
Administrator Emeritus

Sweet ride there Mister Frank.... And the Renegade looks nice too!!
Old 11-23-2018, 07:41 PM   #47

Understanding that there would indeed be holes in the roof to deal with sealing, what would be your thoughts on trying to get Renegade to relocate the present awning down onto the side of the coach? One thing that immediately comes to mind after typing that, is that there might not be a substantial enough "backing" in the sidewall for such an evolution to occur.

What say the masses?[/QUOTE]

There may be another issue with a side wall mounted awning for the LE - there needs to be sufficient height above the extended slide outs to clear outer edge.

On a Classic or Explorer, I believe there is at least an additional 6" of wall height more than an LE.
Former Coach - Newmar London Aire
JCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 08:19 AM   #48

[/QUOTE]
There may be another issue with a side wall mounted awning for the LE - there needs to be sufficient height above the extended slide outs to clear outer edge.

On a Classic or Explorer, I believe there is at least an additional 6" of wall height more than an LE.[/QUOTE]

Probably on the Classic.... The only reason we special ordered an Explorer was the total height.... The Explorer is 4 inches shorter than the Verona and would fit in our 12 foot tall garage doors with an installed air dump. Inside height is 80" on the Explorer and 84" on the Verona. The Verona LE was a better value as it has almost as many options as we had put in ours at a lower price point but we needed the lower height and wanted a 38 foot coach to fit in our 42 foot garage with 2 feet on either end for ease of access.

The Classic is even taller than the Verona
Old 11-24-2018, 08:27 AM   #49

I just looked at a picture of a Verona with the awning retracted and I think your right.. It doesn't appear there is enough room to relocate the awning to the side wall..
Old 11-24-2018, 04:54 PM   #50
Administrator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Tamez View Post
I just looked at a picture of a Verona with the awning retracted and I think your right.. It doesn't appear there is enough room to relocate the awning to the side wall..
You're probably right.....

Old 11-25-2018, 07:29 AM   #51

Actually - the 40 LE LRB does have the room to install a wall mount awning behind the slide-out so the awning would need to be a few feet shorter but would still cover the door and extend aft as far as the current mount.

However, then you must still deal with the structural mounting of an awning where it was not designed to be attached. Not a good idea.

I want to see what Renegade offers as a solution.
Former Coach - Newmar London Aire
JCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 04:30 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelsbeach View Post
Sweet ride there Mister Frank.... And the Renegade looks nice too!!
Thanks

Having Sonny Leonard build me a 727 CI Hemi for it... The 632 was fine to get my feet wet again but mid 7s starts feeling slow real quick when your used to going much faster

Its at Big Boys Car Toys getting painted bright red while I wait for the motor.... Can't wait for next spring and the debut at Vegas.

https://www.facebook.com/dave.bowman...zNTYxMzA3MTA1/
Old 02-14-2019, 03:40 PM   #53

Bob Martel just posted this on Facebook:

Just got the word from Renegade that they have started to use the Girard Vision awning on Verona LEs rather than the Carefree awning they used to use. I don’t know what they are doing for any of the other models.

https://www.girardgroupcompanies.com/…/vision-dual-pitched-…
RonLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 09:02 AM   #54

Well I can confirm the 2020 Verona's are coming standard with the Girard awning versus Carefree. Received my build sheet from Renegade this morning and there it was on page two: Girard Automatic w/Motion Sensor & LED Lights.
jalewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 08:40 PM   #55

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Carefree Awning won't Retract

Although we have a 2007 Holiday Rambler, the main awning has not given us any trouble until this week. It would start to turn when the button was pushed but the action would stop. I elected to try to insert a drift pin into a drilled hole through the aluminum hub/shaft. The flat on the shaft had rounded out the hub and would no longer produce the torque needed to pull-in the awning/arms. Simple fix to a weak design, although I will say that the hub is not made from poor cheap metal as some have said. That hub is a casting made of some high alloy aluminum such as 6061 aircraft aluminum. When I was drilling out the hole through that casting, it produced chips and not long curly coils of metal. That is a sign of some high strength materials. The fix should really have been to drill the hole all the way through the hub then insert a cotter pin. Needed a longer drill bit (5/32"). My "pin" was actually a course thread screw secured with CA glue. It's not coming out anytime soon!!
Old 09-03-2019, 08:01 AM   #56

Awning troubles again.

Ok here goes. We were at the factory and asked about the awning. We were told they changed brands so we asked if we could get ours changed out. Of course the answer was a big NO. A few times our awning would not no out. Had to give it a pull with our window washer. Really don't like how there are no real supports for water collection. Has anyone put an awning on with supports down the side of their coach? I am really considering doing this at some point.
chickie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, ems, problems