RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRUCK CONVERSIONS, MDT's & HDT's FORUMS > Truck Conversions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-07-2018, 06:42 AM   #1

Carefree Awning - Problems

We just picked up our 2019 Verona LE LRB. The Carefree of Colorado awning that is installed on the Verona LE is the most disappointing system installed on the coach. To say it doesn’t work would be an understatement. After 1600 miles we reached our first destination. The first time we went to use it after (5) days of travel I saw it had already come free at the front about 4” and 2” at the rear. After a couple tries we got the awning extended but the fabric at both ends is unsupported and droops down slightly so it looks like the awning is not fully extended – but it is fully extended.
When a rain shower came it filled the awning rather than runoff so we had a couple large pools of water. Fearing the awning could be bent by the weight of the water I retracted 80% dumping the water all over. The remaining pools were smaller now but the water began seeping through the fabric, eventually creating a shower coming through the fabric.

Not surprising, I could not fully retract the awing probably due to the fabric water saturation so, I extended the awning to dry over time, but even that process was flawed when one side extended ahead of the other before stopping and retracting and re-extending.

Maybe it’s just the model awing on the LE or maybe it’s the company engineering that is flawed, but I would like to see Renegade re-think the use of Carefree awnings. This awning won’t last long.

M&G Engineering Brake System
JCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2018, 07:03 AM   #2

The Carefree on the Verona (we have an 2018) is 100% a POS. One thing I found is if you only extend it 75% you have a better chance of it actually retracting. For us, it is still a 50/50 chance if it will retract as opposed to 90% chance it won't come back in.

For us, the retracting issue seems to arise when the the awning has been extended for more than two hours.

Two dealers have looked at it and gave us the whole, "worked fine for us..." deflection.
Last weekend it would not extend at all. You could hear the soleniod click but it was extending. After about 10 minutes trying to get it going (even using the tried and true 'jab it with a broom' method) I gave up and went inside to watch TV. Low and behold, after about 50 minutes I heard that SOB extending!

The thing is like a tired dying stubborn mule that bites and kicks. It just needs to be 'retired'.

I am shocked they are on the 2019 model, let alone an LE.

cment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 07:29 AM   #3

I have the same opinion of the awning.. Although last weekend it was out all weekend and come back in fine. Total disclosure though I had to replace the fabric and one of the arms when they unexpectedly meet a tree. But the slightest breeze seems to bring it in...
deputybubba is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 07:39 AM   #4

Posts like these just make me LUV LUV LUV my older style manual awning!!!
6 years old now, and has never refused to go in, go out, go in, go out...
Can dump it to the right to let water drain, can dump it to the left to let water drain.
Arms and supports are much more "substantial" than powered stuff. And, never have had to replace a motor/solenoid/switch.
Grumpy
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 12:11 PM   #5
Administrator Emeritus

I bought my coach a year ago this month and it's been back to North Trail a total of three times for the POS Carefree Awning...

Each time they made adjustments and now that I'm back in VA for the summer we ran the awning out the other day and it made a heck of a squeal as the forward arm was extending. Some of the wiring had slipped out of his stowed place on the arm so I got a ladder and tucked it back in.
Squealed a little on the way back in, so I'm guessing it'll be a service item when
we get back to Fort Myers next month.

All in all, Carefree is garbage.... I've read so many posts, here and on the Facebook Renegade page concerning Carefree troubles.

rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 01:14 PM   #6

To be honest, there is not much to bitch about on these Verona's besides the Carefree, driving/frog lights (Freightliner issue), and the coach step clearance. Complaining about something on the RV is just habitual stress relief for me after owning a gasser Monaco.
cment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 01:46 PM   #7

I appreciate the feedback. I am going to take this issue to Renegade and see what their response is because I find it difficult to believe they would continue to install such an inferior product on an otherwise quality coach.
Old 09-07-2018, 02:00 PM   #8
Administrator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCAT View Post
I appreciate the feedback. I am going to take this issue to Renegade and see what their response is because I find it difficult to believe they would continue to install such an inferior product on an otherwise quality coach.
"And all us fellow Renegade owners said AMEN."
Old 09-07-2018, 04:26 PM   #9

It really is sad that they use such substandard items on an otherwise good looking high end motor home. And, the difference between it and a quality awning is probably minimal, to the extent that the added cost probably wouldn't even be noticed by the buyer.
For what you owners lay out for those rigs (read envy envy envy) you shouldn't have to put up with garbage accessories.
Sooo many threads on bad power awnings all thru the forum and others I've been on.
Grumpy
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 09:02 AM   #10

Freightliner Owners Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
What would be a better brand of motorized awning?
Melntb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 09:26 AM   #11

Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melntb View Post
Now, that is the question. Had power awnings on 2010 Tiffin Allegro Bus (Dometic Control Panel) and a ZipDee on Airstream trailer.

On Tiffin... retracted if someone sneezed nearby, but on other occasions would stay out when wind was over 20mph in gusts. This was the awning with the sunscreen which came down at its outer edge... fairly expensive option I think.

Airstream... the ZipDee failed on several occasions, would not deploy mainly. Always retracted. However, the folks at the ZipDee factory in Chicago, where they do not do service... were extremely nice to me and serviced mine twice when I took it to the factory. Replaced motors once and replaced the control board once. Rebuilt an arm as well.

Chicago is almost always a place I travel through on several occasions each year. So, if I were to choose a power awning, I would go with ZipDee. I do have land near El Moro, Colorado, so if the new Carefree Awning on my soon to be delivered Leisure Travel Van gives me trouble, one can be assured I will have a campsite in the parking lot at 2145 W 6th Ave, Broomfield, CO 80020. Heck it is only a bit over 200 miles from El Moro, gives me an excuse to stop at St Vrain State Park, a nice campground, IMO.

We will see...
Old 09-08-2018, 10:32 AM   #12

Or get a manual awning. Had 5 different motorhomes with manual an NEVER had a failure. When you add motors , circuit boards and switches you stand for failures. On another forum on this site they are having to sew the fabric that carefree just glued.
Old 09-08-2018, 11:55 AM   #13
Administrator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melntb View Post

Girard
Old 09-09-2018, 02:11 PM   #14

If you want motorized - Girard is the best choice based on my experience. Had them on my London Aire and they worked well - not perfect but few issues. Of all the non-chassis systems on a coach, the awning is the most mechanized operation and prone to failures, but Carefree has not done sufficient engineering to mitigate even the basic design challenges so, we are dealing with a defective product on an otherwise well built coach.

This is the very first time I have used the awning and it failed to retract properly and I am not sure it even extended fully, based on the rain water pooling. I spent 35 minutes repairing an end cap flange to get the awning to close. It has marred the top edge of the coach although not visible from the ground.

So, I provided some entertainment this afternoon for the Sites near us as I worked up on a ladder to correct the problem preventing the awning from fully retracting into the travel position. I am sure the onlookers had no idea I was dealing with a Carefree product issue but, they sure knew it was a Renegade coach. "Brand new" I was asked - "sure is".

I am not confident it will won't "creep" out of the travel position once we are on the road, but I am sure I won't ever use this awning for the next (5) weeks. Will be in touch with Renegade this week and the dealer regarding Carefree.

Tags
awning, ems, problems