Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Hobbies, Passions & Pastimes > CB & Ham Radio
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-11-2018, 02:40 PM   #1

CB Radio

I have not gotten around to actually looking in the space where a CB radio goes, but I am wondering what's in there?

Some threads I have seen say the antenna connector and the power wires are there now and others say that you have to find a wire bundle either in the engine compartment or elsewhere and run wires.

And, what is the best radio for the space?
RonLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2018, 05:03 AM   #2

I opened the compartment on ours to check and found the antenna connection and power supply as well. There is also a mount in there that looks universal for many CB radios.

I’m anxious to see what others recommend as a good radio for the money. I have read posts and there seems to be a mixed opinion on the value of having a CB radio in an RV. My son wants us to have one when we start traveling to states like Montana and Wyoming where cell phone coverage can be spotty.
Renegade RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 05:42 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade RV View Post
I
I’m anxious to see what others recommend as a good radio for the money. I have read posts and there seems to be a mixed opinion on the value of having a CB radio in an RV.
I want one so I can find what is holding up traffic. Sometimes you can be far enough back from the jam to exit and go a different way.

The radio I am looking at is the Cobra that has a built in Weather Channel.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004RO3RBE...v_ov_lig_dp_it
Old 11-12-2018, 02:46 PM   #4

I installed a base Cobra model that fits perfectly in the opening. All wired up, just could not get antennae to tube at all, ran another ground to the base of the mount no change. Installed a no ground plane antenna on the passage side mirror still can not tune in the antennae for any reception at all. I replaced the radio and still no reception at all. I have honestly given up now. Best of luck, let us know how you make out. Thanks
ragoodspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 06:01 PM   #5
Administrator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonLC View Post
I want one so I can find what is holding up traffic. Sometimes you can be far enough back from the jam to exit and go a different way.

As far as traffic is concerned, I'd download the WAZE app and save hearing all the BS chatter.
Now as far as being out of cell range out west, that'd be a possibility to consider....
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 06:28 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragoodsp View Post
I installed a base Cobra model that fits perfectly in the opening. All wired up, just could not get antennae to tube at all, ran another ground to the base of the mount no change. Installed a no ground plane antenna on the passage side mirror still can not tune in the antennae for any reception at all. I replaced the radio and still no reception at all. I have honestly given up now. Best of luck, let us know how you make out. Thanks
I had a similar problem getting my CB to work, replaced everything, made new grounds, bought different antenae nothing worked.

The FIX, for me and I suspect for you is the antenna mount. The center portion is defective or not connected. Replace the center section or the whole mount at your mirror and it might just work for you too.

What I haven't solved yet is the inverter hash that makes things difficult to understand now that I can receive. I have the self contained Cobra that has all it's "stuff" in the mike but am thinking of switching to the Classic model.
Ziggy8321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 06:37 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonLC View Post

I have the Cobra Classic model with the weather channels. A issue to be aware of is even with the radio turned off, you will get "weather warning alerts" blasting over the radio that may scare the crap out of you when you are not expecting it.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 09:01 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelsbeach View Post
As far as traffic is concerned, I'd download the WAZE app and save hearing all the BS
Waze is wonderful except when it routes you through a shortcut with low tree limbs. I wish it had a vehicle profile setting.

Please check your PM's.
Old 11-15-2018, 02:01 AM   #9

Today a friend and I installed the Cobra 29 LX. We found the power wires, the mount and the antenna coax in the overhead box. More to take apart than we anticipated but easy to hook up once we got access.

Unfortunately it did not work. Being in a large metal pole barn storage shed might be the reason so in a few days I will move it outside and see if that helps.

The radio powers up and the squelch works but nothing can be heard on any CB or weather channel. The SWR readings are way too high and the radio displays a antenna warning message.

Does anyone know what antenna Freightliner uses or who to call for help?
Old 11-15-2018, 04:54 AM   #10

RonLC.... What you expierenced was exactly what I found. I have to correct the situation despite my effort to change equipment. I have a meter and have not been able to “tune “. The unit it. I think I will try what RebelsBeach has suggested just for kicks.
ragoodspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 08:24 AM   #11

I called Daimler who referred me to the R.A. Miller company, manufacturer of the antenna. They said that there are two breaks in the antenna coax (connectors). One is in the mirror area and one is at the firewall. He said to check those connections. Sometimes Freightliner does not connect them or messes them up in other ways.

They sent me this link to their trouble shooting video https://vimeo.com/225504662 and the attached document.

So if one cannot fix it themselves it is definitely a Freightliner warranty issue if one is in warranty.

I am going to see if I can find the connectors before taking it in for service.
Old 11-15-2018, 08:50 AM   #12
Administrator Emeritus

rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 09:01 AM   #13

Good information Rebelsbeach. I forwarded your post to Paul at R.A. Miller for his response.

I have done an intensive search on the Internet and have yet to find a single incidence of a successfully installed CB on a Freightliner like ours with the in place set up. Zip, None, Not one.
Old 11-15-2018, 09:42 AM   #14

I guess no one read how I fixed mine, so there is ONE successful install on a Freightliner.

BTW, it only cost me $5.95 and not worth warranty effort.
Ziggy8321 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radio