Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRUCK CONVERSIONS, MDT's & HDT's FORUMS > Truck Conversions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-10-2018, 03:48 PM   #1

CB Radio antenna cable?

My Verona 36VSB has a CB antenna installed on the drivers side mirror frame. Doe anyone know where is the end of the cable located within the cab?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2018, 04:10 PM   #2

SSTuner: Good luck and please let me know how you make out. The cable end is in the center ceiling cut out, live wire and ground are there as well. I was not able to tune the CB in so installed a ground free new antennae on the passenger mirror and have yet not been able to tune that one in either. I have tried other CB's as well and just can not get any reception. I have kind of given up to be honest

ragoodsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 06:11 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Like ragoodsp said the ends are in the cutout over the windshield. They are taped together so it doesnít look like the cable is there at first. I get the weather channel and sometimes but chatter. I think the antenna is lousy at best. The old cb antennas had a nut you could loosen to tune the antenna. I travel to ny next month and my friend has some equipment to see if we can get it to work. Not sure how good the cb works as I donít know how many others used one when I tried mine, really need a partner with a cab to test and tune. Sorry for the rant, btw installing is easy
boba1106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 06:13 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by boba1106 View Post
Like ragoodsp said the ends are in the cutout over the windshield. They are taped together so it doesnít look like the cable is there at first. I get the weather channel and sometimes but chatter. I think the antenna is lousy at best. The old cb antennas had a nut you could loosen to tune the antenna. I travel to ny next month and my friend has some equipment to see if we can get it to work. Not sure how good the cb works as I donít know how many others used one when I tried mine, really need a partner with a cab to test and tune. Sorry for the rant, btw installing is easy

Also sorry for the word changes. Damn spellcheck tried to hit to view and posted instead
boba1106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 11:12 AM   #5

Every type of ant need a good ground plane. I would think the mirror frame would tie into the chassis body pretty well for a good ground, but have never checked one.

Once you get it installed make sure there is metal to metal contact on the ground side of the ant and then make sure the hot side is well isolated from ground. Sometimes people forget to install the isolator on the hot side. You then lengthen or shorten the ant to tune it via a SWR meter. Some have a little screw on top some only allow you to shorten it by cutting off material and you have to add extension spacer/spring at the bottom if needed. They are all a little different.
wfo9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 02:40 PM   #6

Agree on a good ground 100%, but isn't the M2 100 cab made of aluminum? if so, an good ground should be run regardless anyway.

Back to my original post, I still need to look for the antenna end in the overhead.
Old 07-11-2018, 04:24 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSTuner View Post
Agree on a good ground 100%, but isn't the M2 100 cab made of aluminum? if so, an good ground should be run regardless anyway.

Back to my original post, I still need to look for the antenna end in the overhead.
Not sure what they are made of, but aluminum would be a very adequate ground. The big question is if the mirror frame ties into the body it well.
Old 07-12-2018, 11:44 AM   #8

The M2 cab is made of aluminum. I utilized a new antennae that is for fiberglass installation and does not need a ground (I installed after I gave up on the OEM set up). Using my tuning meter I have yet to get the correct range for transmission/receiving regardless of how I adjust the tuning nut on the top of the antennae. I honestly about ready to rip the set up out.
ragoodsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 11:13 AM   #9

Bored while wife at pool. Found the power and CB antenna cable tucked away in a bundle just behind the little cubby above driver. Rerouted it to the center overhead console.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0886.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	260.8 KB
ID:	210924  
Old 07-14-2018, 04:57 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragoodsp View Post
The M2 cab is made of aluminum. I utilized a new antennae that is for fiberglass installation and does not need a ground (I installed after I gave up on the OEM set up). Using my tuning meter I have yet to get the correct range for transmission/receiving regardless of how I adjust the tuning nut on the top of the antennae. I honestly about ready to rip the set up out.
I would stick with antennae that uses a ground plane. NGP antennas are not very good at all (they can function but have very limited range). Go with a regular antenna and run a wire to the chassis for the ground. The door itself should be good enough. My guess is the mirror is somehow isolated or there is a coating in the way (current cant jump over paint or coatings). Easy to test with a simple multi meter and some bare metal points of contact. It usually just takes a little sanding where the antenna mounts or a jumper from the mirror screws to the door or whatever.

Tags
antenna, cable, radio