Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRUCK CONVERSIONS, MDT's & HDT's FORUMS > Truck Conversions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-09-2015, 02:13 AM   #1

Choosing the right power control center

Hi I'm putting together my parts list for a MDT conversion using a Ford e super duty V10 with 17' Intercontinental cargo box on a 176 wb. Getting ready to purchase a power center and was wondering if anyone has used or hear about Progressive Dyanamic mini 45 amp rv power converter charger with ac/dc panel PD4045. The research I've done it looks pretty good. I plan on calling them tomorrow to ask can I buy it from any store front online or walk up will I have their support and 2 year warranty if needed.
A couple of reviews I read purchased on the big "A" mentioned no support from seller and were having problems from PD so I'll ask them.
I like this converter because it's a combined unite. Any thought?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2015, 10:36 AM   #2

Becausae the Mini center has a Charge Wizard built in, it is a good (not best) choice for your small conversion. Avoid any other converter that is not a 3-stage charger.

The best choice is to not use a converter at all but buy a quality inverter/charger that is fully programable, like from Magnum Energy, so you can properly charge the house battery you choose.

Larry

I have a vast knowledge about PV solar, batteries and inverters. I'll try to provide the best answer if I know it and hopefully correct some "Campfire" talk. Full-time 1999-2004. Part time now. '92 Hawkins, 360AH Lithium Battery, 1480 Watts PV solar.
BatteryPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 02:57 PM   #3

Thanks BatteryPro for the input I hadn't thought about a combined unite. I currently use a Xantrex Xpower 1500( with 2 deep cycle) which woks fine for just sleeping quarters but I plan on expanding (remodel) and it would be nice not to have to relay on the vehicle charging system and use shore power or generator to keep system at needed level. I was looking at the Xantrex HF 1000 or 1800 both have a built in switchers and both charge system up with low wattage gens. down to 2 watts not that I'd go there but lets say a quiet 100 watt that fits in frame mounted box.
Old 09-10-2015, 08:39 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by guestPacer View Post
.... I was looking at the Xantrex HF 1000 or 1800 both have a built in switchers and both charge system...
The problem with most of these China made inverter/chargers is that they are not programmable like the USA made Magnum Energy units.

For example, if you purchase the Trojan T-105 battery, you must charge it to 14.8 volts every cycle and equalize it at 15.5 volts every month in order to properly maintain it. The Xantrex you are looking at can't do this.

Many battery manufacturers have charge requirements that are outside the capability of inverters that simply have a "battery type" switch. I recommend that you choose a programmable charger for best battery life.

Larry
I have a vast knowledge about PV solar, batteries and inverters. I'll try to provide the best answer if I know it and hopefully correct some "Campfire" talk. Full-time 1999-2004. Part time now. '92 Hawkins, 360AH Lithium Battery, 1480 Watts PV solar.
Old 09-10-2015, 11:27 PM   #5

thanks for the heads up. My older xpower 1500 was made in canada I thought they still were
Old 09-12-2015, 08:22 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by guestPacer View Post
thanks for the heads up. My older xpower 1500 was made in canada I thought they still were
Many years ago, Xantrex bought out several companies that manufactured inverters in the USA. They promptly shut down these companies and sent the manufacturing overseas. Then in 2008 Schneider Electric bought the majority of Xantrex. Although they are a Canadian company, the inverters are still made overseas, mostly China but also in India.
Old 10-26-2015, 03:34 AM   #7

Well I went ahead for starters and picked up a Xantrex. It's an freedom HF1800 together with my 1500 it should get me started just have to make sure Ilayout my 11012volt wiring correctly to upgrade. The HF series has a controlpanel. Less cost for getting started.

Tags
power