Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRUCK CONVERSIONS, MDT's & HDT's FORUMS > Truck Conversions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-26-2013, 12:18 AM   #15

So I have to tweak my plans a little. I was on the phone yesterday with the Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure in British Columbia Canada. I know a little odd. I have always had a desire to travel around Canada and really want to take this rig on that trip.

Well their length laws are a bit shorter than my home state, Idaho which is 75 feet max length. They only allow up to 65 feet which is the same as most US states. This is workable and I have already redesigned my trailer to be 20 ft vs the original 30 ft.

The bigger issue that makes me tweak my plans is they do not allow lift axles in Canada unless they are installed under certain conditions by the original manufacturer. So now I have to decide if I want to try and only have one rear axle with a very large rating or leave the regular dual set.

If I go with the duals, it defeats the whole smaller turning radius concept that I have been talking about. I have been doing some research and I think I could find a single axle that would be large enough but I cannot find a air suspension set up for a single axle that would match the axle rating. From what I can find, the largest single axle air suspension set up is 23,000 pounds.

With the shorter trailer, I have had to readjust the way layout of the vehicles I will be hauling and it puts a lot more tongue weight than I was originally planning. To be honest I feel a bit uncomfortable with a rig this long and weighs this much with only a single rear axle even if it is rated high like 40,000. Have both axles gives a little redundancy in case of a blow out, and extra braking axle or other type of emergency.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2013, 01:08 AM   #16

Check out the steering tag that Newell uses. Don't know if it lifts, but it sure makes their 45's turn on a dime. I think its a ZF. My buddy's Newell turns sharper than my 37ft rig. The steering tag pumps fluid out of the front steering & into the tag steering ram to keep rear tag steer angle the same but opposite of the front angle.

I'd build up the frame using the Country Coach semi-monocoque truss type layout. You can get good rigidity w/out the storage volume loss to the tall c-channel frame elements, and you can lay out the storage bays to your liking.

IIWMI'd consider a mid engine. Cuts way down on drive shaft so way up on storage & such below the floor line. Will also cut the front axle weight req'mt, and probably help a ton on handling by distributing weight cleanly. Gives you lots more possibilities for front axle setup. You could then use a conventional bus type cab element on the front instead of a cab, and build a front radiator into the nose or do a side radiator w/modulated hydraulic driven fan.

Could go w/a 4 bag/rear axle mount using an H-frame, plus the steering tag. Newell's run down the road over 50,000lbs iirc.

Old 04-26-2013, 08:35 AM   #17

Would your 3rd axle need to be a lift axle or would just an air ride axle with the ability to dump the air and therefore make it easier to slide around corners in tight maneuvering be sufficient? some of the local dump trucks here in MI and OH use steering tag axles that self steer another thought is if you are not going to title and license in Canada why does an airlift have to be factory installed, are they going to inspect your title and mfg at the border?
Old 04-27-2013, 01:17 AM   #18

That Newell setup looks sweet. I would love to use that, but it wouldn’t be added from the “manufacturer.”

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHORTS1 View Post
Would your 3rd axle need to be a lift axle or would just an air ride axle with the ability to dump the air and therefore make it easier to slide around corners in tight maneuvering be sufficient? some of the local dump trucks here in MI and OH use steering tag axles that self steer another thought is if you are not going to title and license in Canada why does an airlift have to be factory installed, are they going to inspect your title and mfg at the border?

This is taken right from the British Columbia law book.

Lift axles
(1) A person must not, without a permit, drive or operate on a highway a vehicle or a combination of vehicles in which a control is provided for varying the weight on an axle or group of axles, unless

(a) the control locks or unlocks a sliding fifth wheel coupler,
(b) the vehicle is a ready mix concrete truck and the control is manually operated and located outside the driver compartment and immediately adjacent to the axle or group of axles being affected, or
(c) the control is an automatic axle lift device that
(i) was installed on the trailer by
(A) the original trailer manufacturer, or
(B) an installer working under the supervision of, and according to an installation plan developed by, a professional engineer, and
(ii) is equipped with tamper-resistant features to prevent unintended field adjustments,
and the trailer on which it is installed
(iii) has affixed on each side, near the affected axles, a unique logo indicating that an automatic axle lift device is installed on the trailer, and
(iv) is equipped with an on/off control to operate the automatic axle lift device and with a status light visible from the cab to indicate to the driver when the device is activated.
(2) A person must not, without a permit, drive or operate a vehicle or vehicle combination with lift axles in contact with the ground if the vehicle is
(a) not also equipped with an automatic lift axle that meets the requirements set out in subsection (1) (c) (i) and (ii), or
(b) a pole trailer.
[en. B.C. Reg. 95/2006, s. 3; am. B.C. Reg. 97/2009, s. (a).]

Self steering axles
7.12 A person must not, without a permit, drive or operate on a highway a vehicle or a vehicle combination equipped with a self steering axle if the tires of the self steering axle are in contact with the ground, unless the vehicle or one vehicle in the vehicle combination is

(a) a tandem drive ready-mix concrete truck equipped with a self steering booster axle, or
(b) a jeep, an A or C converter dolly or a full trailer, and the jeep, dolly or trailer is equipped with a self steering axle in the front axle group.
[en. B.C. Reg. 95/2006, s. 3.]
Old 05-01-2013, 06:38 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nklpltd View Post
I have been doing some research and I think I could find a single axle that would be large enough but I cannot find a air suspension set up for a single axle that would match the axle rating. From what I can find, the largest single axle air suspension set up is 23,000 pounds.

With the shorter trailer, I have had to readjust the way layout of the vehicles I will be hauling and it puts a lot more tongue weight than I was originally planning. To be honest I feel a bit uncomfortable with a rig this long and weighs this much with only a single rear axle even if it is rated high like 40,000. Have both axles gives a little redundancy in case of a blow out, and extra braking axle or other type of emergency.
If you need more than 23k pounds on a single axle you're going to be out of luck no matter what.

Other than special instances (almost all of them for construction, mining, forestry or agricultural uses only) you can't be over that 23k pound limit on a single axle with dual tires on a public road.
Old 05-02-2013, 12:10 AM   #20

For now I am keeping the tandems. I have been in contact with BC to see if there is anyway I can get a permit to use a lift axle. If not then I will just keep the tandems and move on. I really want to take this rig to Alaska and if I have to keep the tandems to make that happen, then I will.
Old 05-11-2013, 06:35 AM   #21

I just re-read your post above of the BC law. I notice it only refers to "trailer", I know BC has some funny laws on trailer axle weights. Double check they apply to a straight truck, or in your case an RV, with a phone call straight to the source.

There's a world of difference between trucks & trailers when it comes to lift axles.
Old 05-14-2013, 06:14 PM   #22

what type swing doors are you using? do you think you can keep them sealed enough to keep heat and air conditioning in? i put a toy hauler door on and kind of wish i hadn't now. it wont hold the weight of a vehicle and i need ramps also. kind of wish i had a roll up door.
Old 05-15-2013, 12:07 AM   #23

I was planning on barn doors like you would use on a cargo trailer but adding a lip on the inside with a rubber bubble seal to keep the water out.

Tags
motorhome