Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRUCK CONVERSIONS, MDT's & HDT's FORUMS > Truck Conversions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-06-2005, 04:07 AM   #1

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Well I am bummed beyond belief, the M2 Freightliner we ordered rolled off the assembly line and made it over to the transporter on the 7th of February. It was delivered to the Freightliner dealer on the 17th. The dealer had to do a check and verify and take care of a few issues and began to bring it over to the Show Hauler Dealer (Becks Custom Coach) on the 24th. And here is where it goes down hill, on the way over there was some motor problems. So back to the FL Dealer and the motor (Mercedes MBE 926) was found to have a blown head gasket!

It has been a week and no one can tell me anything further and I am guessing that is because they are trying to determine who is at fault and who is paying. This could be as simple as a faulty gasket, bad install, or it could be something like someone not in know spraying ether into the motor on a cold morning to get it running. I am just speculating, because it has been over a week and without any info, that is what I am going to do.

I guess what is really killing me is that it took over 3 months to just build and get the truck, and now we have been sitting for 2 weeks to fix the brand new truck. That is what is eating at me, we would have been going in to our 3rd week of the motorhome build, and instead we are at best going to be 4 weeks behind and probably more.

I understand delays where bound to happen, but this long cold winter, a shortened camping season last year and the thought of no camper until May are all contributing to my horrendous bad mood lately.

I'll keep ya updated if I hear anything this week.

Bill
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2005, 04:07 AM   #2

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Well I am bummed beyond belief, the M2 Freightliner we ordered rolled off the assembly line and made it over to the transporter on the 7th of February. It was delivered to the Freightliner dealer on the 17th. The dealer had to do a check and verify and take care of a few issues and began to bring it over to the Show Hauler Dealer (Becks Custom Coach) on the 24th. And here is where it goes down hill, on the way over there was some motor problems. So back to the FL Dealer and the motor (Mercedes MBE 926) was found to have a blown head gasket!

It has been a week and no one can tell me anything further and I am guessing that is because they are trying to determine who is at fault and who is paying. This could be as simple as a faulty gasket, bad install, or it could be something like someone not in know spraying ether into the motor on a cold morning to get it running. I am just speculating, because it has been over a week and without any info, that is what I am going to do.

I guess what is really killing me is that it took over 3 months to just build and get the truck, and now we have been sitting for 2 weeks to fix the brand new truck. That is what is eating at me, we would have been going in to our 3rd week of the motorhome build, and instead we are at best going to be 4 weeks behind and probably more.

I understand delays where bound to happen, but this long cold winter, a shortened camping season last year and the thought of no camper until May are all contributing to my horrendous bad mood lately.

I'll keep ya updated if I hear anything this week.

Bill
Old 03-06-2005, 09:37 AM   #3

At least it happened now vs. in the middle of nowhere on a trip?

Trying to find the bright side...

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 11:38 AM   #4

Sorry to hear that, Bill! Keep you chin up, it may not be as bad as it might seem. Ed
Old 03-09-2005, 02:11 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Bill, sorry to hear of the delay on your new conversion. Hopefully this will be the only problem during the process .
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 03:38 AM   #6

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Update:

Well it looks like someone forgot to tighten a head bolt. It was found that the back head bolt was not even finger tight. Nice QC Mercedes has.

Should be fixed today (I hope)

Bill
Old 03-09-2005, 08:21 AM   #7

That's good news Bill, we were all hoping it might be something miner. Ed S
Old 03-09-2005, 08:53 AM   #8
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
It's good that they actually found what caused the blown gasket rather than to just slap a new one in and sending it out. Now there should be no expectation of additional problems involving the head gasket.

Hope to see that new rig at the National Rally!
Old 03-11-2005, 07:25 AM   #9

Official iRV2 Sponsor

The truck finally made it down to Show Hauler this morning.

So first item of business is to get a set of BigFoot Levelers put on.

The dealer we are working with on this project is Beck's Custom Coach and Nathan over there hustled the truck down to Show Hauler super fast which was awesome.

If you are even a little interested in a Truck Conversion, you may want to take a drive to Lansing, Mi to see Nathan at Beck's He has a bunch of conversions on the lot for you to tour through. And they are all setup with the RV'er in mind, full air ride suspension, Allison 6 speed automatic trannies, and much more. Check them out here --> http://www.becksmarine.com/Motorhome...homesIndex.htm

Old 03-11-2005, 10:06 AM   #10

Bill, it's good to hear your unit is back in the 'build process'. Good Luck!
Old 03-11-2005, 10:42 AM   #11

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Definetly a big relief.

Just got off the phone with Jason at Bigfoot and he said he will snap some shots of the truck getting some levelers on Monday.
Old 03-11-2005, 11:40 AM   #12

Hip, Hip, Hurray

DH (Larry) <><
Allegro Happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 05:10 AM   #13

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Well it once again took a little longer than I had hoped to get the levelers on, but it is done and now in the frame shop of Show Hauler.

Leveler Photos
Old 03-22-2005, 05:50 AM   #14

Keep your chin up Bill. The more anxious you get, it seems like things happen to slow the process.
Just remember how great it will look when it gets completed. Ed. S