Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRUCK CONVERSIONS, MDT's & HDT's FORUMS > Truck Conversions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-07-2017, 08:58 PM   #1

Considering an upgrade to a Super C

We currently have a 21 year old 36' Class A that we absolutely love, but are considering upgrading. Super C's have several advantages, and I don't need to list them here as everyone reading this forum already knows. But I'm concerned about one disadvantage. In order to get the same amount of living space as a Class A, the overall length needs to be about 9' longer for a Super C. We spend most of our time in State and National forests and parks, and often boondock wherever. Are there places a 36' A can go that a 45' C can't?

I know how to drive, so dealing with difficult access and tight turns are not an issue. Unless they are so tight that 45' physically won't fit. Or if the regulations simply won't allow a 45. Am I making a mountain out of a molehill, or is this a problem?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2017, 05:18 AM   #2

There are most state parks I avoid because they were not made with folks like us in mind and that is ok with me. I have learned to call the campgrounds and explain what I have and what I need. They always seem to get me a place to fit. Only ran across on campground that told me that had nothing to accommodate me.

I think more thought up front when driving and planning your trips and stays is required with a big rig and if you are flat towing. I do not regret having what I have. Good luck.
Old 06-08-2017, 06:43 AM   #3

I guess I can't comment on the need for 9' more space to equal a 36' class A.
I've never owned an A. Maybe if you go look at the newest C's you will realize you don't have to go all the way to 45' ?

Not much help I know, but always willing to share
deputybubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 12:17 PM   #4

Your math is a bit off.

On a Renegade at least. The cab is open to the coach. The seating area is just as usable as the seating area in a class A.

That said. The hood on a Freightliner M2 is approximately 5 feet. Its a small price to pay for

A better driving coach that is more stable
A Safer coach in a front end collision
A more aerodynamic coach that gets better fuel mileage.

I have owned multiples of both and my choice is the Super C hands down.

When I was Drag Racing I put all the safety items in the car. Including some that were not mandated... At 220 MPH plus I always figured that if it was my tush in that seat. How much was that tush worth... Same goes for driving down the road where your encountering some real idiots and have your spouse and possibly kids or friends tush on the line also.

It should be a no brainer
Old 06-08-2017, 12:29 PM   #5

I agree with Frank, the difference is not the full 9 ft mentioned. When I am looking at state parks, I just find ones that say 40 plus ft. Many times the restriction is not the site length, but rather a conservative rating for the access roads.
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 12:41 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
The only real difference between a class a and the super c's living area depends on if it's a mid-door class A or not...
with the front door class A, none (or very little) of your living space is impacted by the door entrance space - the entrance serves double duty as the passenger foot well and entry...

Livable floor plan for you is more important than length imho...

We looked long and hard at the Super C before we got our A, the floor plans weren't there yet (IOHO only) but maybe they are now.. but dang, the engine, the towing, the looks were a big draw!

good luck
Old 06-08-2017, 08:37 PM   #7

Thanks, guys. Yes, the advantages of a Super C are numerous. I haven't had the chance to sit in any yet (my local dealer thinks a Super C sits on a Ford 450, and he's sold one in recent memory). Planning factory visits and/or Hershey show this fall.

38Chevy454 - My leading candidate based on web research is ShowHauler, and a OTR friend things Kenworth's have the best ride. What has your experience been with yours? They say they start with a blank slate and design the floor plan around the customer - I'm definitely looking forward to that! Is your cab as open to the coach as Frank Tamez says? Their pictures posted on fb don't look that way. Does ShowHauler sell direct, or will I be forced to go through a dealer that won't be local?
Old 06-09-2017, 12:15 AM   #8

Showhauler does not sell direct. They will work with you directly to design your desired rig however once the design is complete, you will have to place the order through a dealer. We went down this path with Lonnie at Showhauler and it was truly a fantastic process. The design team was extremely accommodating and willing to work with us on our desired floor plan. We finalized the unit and sent our spec sheet out to dealers for pricing. At that time, a very lightly used unit showed up in our search. It was less then 6 months old, under 10k on the odometer and included all warranties. It had many of the features and a similar layout as we had been working on with Showhauler. Not identical to what we had worked up but the numbers to go with a new coach did not make sense and we immediately jumped on the Renegade.
mooseknuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 09:29 PM   #9

I too like the super c but the space vs length is poor. It looks like most SC don't have front seats that swivel.
As far as parks go, many federal campgrounds are small. The state campgrounds in Washington are large.
Old 06-15-2017, 12:59 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100Akers View Post
38Chevy454 - My leading candidate based on web research is ShowHauler, and a OTR friend things Kenworth's have the best ride. What has your experience been with yours? They say they start with a blank slate and design the floor plan around the customer - I'm definitely looking forward to that! Is your cab as open to the coach as Frank Tamez says? Their pictures posted on fb don't look that way. Does ShowHauler sell direct, or will I be forced to go through a dealer that won't be local?
I bought mine used. I think you have to go through a dealer though as moose suggested. I do have a pretty big opening from the cab to the box, maybe a little less than some class C, but certainly big enough to get through. While it is open, the seats don't swivel and the seats are mostly against the cab wall, rather than the opening.

A great source to look for used truck conversions is Race, Drag cars, Trailers and Engines for sale | RacingJunk Classifieds, as many racers use the truck conversions.

Mine being built on a KW chassis is kind of rare, most are Freightliner. I think it has more to do with the truck mfr willing to work with the RV conversion company. Mine has been nice over the three years I have had it. You do need to be conscious of the size, but same with a large class A. The best part with mine is no issues on big hills, no towing concerns, and the quality of the RV construction. Nothing is perfect, but the truck conversions seem a higher level of build quality overall. Still use the basic RV appliances, difference is more solid wood cabinetry and solid chass and framing. I did replace my Norcold with a residential frig, best thing I have done.
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 01:32 PM   #11

This will give you an idea how a 40 foot overall super c looks inside.

Tags
upgrade