Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRUCK CONVERSIONS, MDT's & HDT's FORUMS > Truck Conversions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-24-2019, 02:08 PM   #1

Dumping rear air bags on M2

I know a few have had their M2 chassis modified to allow dumping of the rear air bags.

I have been to a couple of big truck shops and none could give me an estimate as they had no idea until they started in to it. I don't know about you, but the thought of them learning on my dime doesn't instill confidence.

If you have had it done, do you have schematics you can share and/or what it cost etc?

TIA
Ziggy8321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2019, 09:13 PM   #2

IWS (my dealer in Mountain Home, Idaho) is installing an air suspension dump valve as part of my purchase agreement. I don’t know how much it is because the cost was simply rolled into the bottom line. I do know they have done this mod quite a few times, and I liked the way they integrated the switch and gauge into the dash. Maybe talk to them?
Old 04-25-2019, 06:56 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcgettinby View Post
IWS (my dealer in Mountain Home, Idaho) is installing an air suspension dump valve as part of my purchase agreement. I don’t know how much it is because the cost was simply rolled into the bottom line. I do know they have done this mod quite a few times, and I liked the way they integrated the switch and gauge into the dash. Maybe talk to them?
Thank you for the suggestion. I will actually be near them either going or coming from Alaska. I'll give them a call but would still like to find someone closer.
Old 04-25-2019, 09:08 AM   #4

I had IWS install my dump valve and switch. They use an air valve vs and electric solenoid. Highly reliable. Cost was around $500 a few years ago.
tgdameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 02:37 PM   #5

If you’re going to be near Walford Iowa, ATC RV installed mine looks factory cost was around $600
Joe II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 02:47 PM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
My 08 M2 with HWH jacks automatically dumps rear bags when auto leveling. Thought all were set up that way.
Jag73e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 02:59 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag73e View Post
My 08 M2 with HWH jacks automatically dumps rear bags when auto leveling. Thought all were set up that way.
Wish we had that setup. The current jacks are effective but don't instill confidence as it does it's crazy dance and the out come is usually the front wheels off the ground.

Had HWH on at least 2 or 3 prior RVs.
Old 04-27-2019, 06:40 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy8321 View Post
Wish we had that setup. The current jacks are effective but don't instill confidence as it does it's crazy dance and the out come is usually the front wheels off the ground.

Had HWH on at least 2 or 3 prior RVs.
Paul - I experience the same "dance" when we level our coach unless the Site is very level - even then the coach overall raises up further than necessary. So, I now manually level; starting with the front. This works some of the times but highly dependent upon the Site.

I am scheduled to have the scheduled to have the rear suspension Dump Valves installed next week at the Ft Myers FL Service Center.

I had several correspondences with IWS because they have a kit they install as an option when you purchase one of their coaches. It is $1000 but, they will not sell the kit or provide me with any information about the installation or parts list.

The cost for the FL Service Center to install the Dump Valves is ~ $2800 inclusive, but I believe that it might be less once they get into it. As someone else commented, this is not something these Service Centers do because the M2 trucks come equipped with the dump capability. So, I crawled around under one of their new M2s with a Service Tech as he explained what they would need to do and explained what would be installed on the dash. Also, explained the safety interlock that is part of the system.

I have been postponing this due to the cost but we are preparing for several months of travel that will include places that I know will have terrain Sites so, I think I will have the work done and move-on.

I am going to check-out the place someone mentioned in Iowa, however on Monday. Why Renegade won't include this function on the chassis they order from FL is baffling to me - I have had a few conversations regarding the topic with Renegade.
Former Coach - Newmar London Aire
JCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 08:48 AM   #9

Thanks Jcat. I plan on calling Iowa this coming week as I will be passing near them on my way north in June.

I too manually level rather than do the dance.

If you speak with them before I do, see what they will do price wise for a "twofor".
Old 04-27-2019, 03:03 PM   #10

If you guys want, I’ll give ATC a call on Monday and let them know you’ll probably be contacting them. That way he can make sure to have whatever parts on hand.
Joe II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 05:13 PM   #11

Thanks Joe. It's OK to give him a heads up but a bit premature to order parts.
Old 05-01-2019, 06:29 PM   #12

I called ATC RV In Cedar Rapids, they referred me to their truck service center, ATC Trucks. They told me they can do it and the cost is about $175 parts and 400-600 labor for a total between $600-800.

I spoke with John and their number is 319-363-0229.

Giving a lot of thought to heading to Alaska via Cedar Rapids. If I do that I also have to stop at Iowa 80 on I-80. The largest truck stop in the world and worth the stop.
Old 05-01-2019, 11:47 PM   #13

I did it myself for under $200 on our Seneca. Basically you take the line that runs from the auto level valves to the air bag and put a tee in, then run the line off the tee to a solenoid valve. I also added a ball valve before the solenoid valve just in case of a valve failure. For wiring, I grounded the valves where they are mounted so I only had to run one wire to the cab then ride through a relay to a air dump switch. I didn’t tie into the ignition to prevent accidental dump, I just set up a deadman’s setup where the dump switch is on the right side of the dash and a push button momentary is on the left and both have to be pushed at the same time to dump. This dumps the rear bags in about 15 seconds and makes leveling so much better and don’t have he problem of the front wheels coming off the ground. Some people have wired the solenoids into the hydraulic leveler system, I know it can be done with Bigfoot and Equilizer systems but I wanted to be able to dump manually at any time. Did the install in about 4 hours and it is one of the best things I have done to the coach.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6084AB81-AEF9-4D7C-BA6C-EAB02625A23B.jpeg
Views:	147
Size:	133.6 KB
ID:	244407   Click image for larger version

Name:	FECE9B69-6203-4394-B44B-2B503F92EE57.jpeg
Views:	138
Size:	165.5 KB
ID:	244408  

Click image for larger version

Name:	4246E11C-1CAB-4DB1-BE20-3A64C535D345.jpeg
Views:	137
Size:	132.7 KB
ID:	244409  
Attached Images

BMGM37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 07:07 AM   #14

I have a question for those that have had a air dump system added to their M2. Does the system dump just the air bags and hold air in tank or does it dump all the air from tank as well?
twc88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air