Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRUCK CONVERSIONS, MDT's & HDT's FORUMS > Truck Conversions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-29-2017, 11:15 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by deputybubba View Post
Anyone know if maybe I left the key on that maybe a electric pump would run?
Not on an over the road truck. The cross over system is only there to balance the tanks as you drive. Even older trucks with a bottom of the tank cross over pipe will not feed fuel fast enough.
Rambeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2017, 12:19 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Where do you add your DEF?
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 07:04 AM   #17

Def tank is right next to fuel tank on drivers side.
Another benefit of the true truck fill stations as they appear to now have DEF pumps right next to the diesel, on the drivers side.
deputybubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 07:56 PM   #18

A lot of trucks with twin tanks have a connecting pipe that works on the siphon principal. It comes up to the chassis rails and crosses high up as low slung joining pipes are prone to damage from road debris. Also some trucks have a roll-over cut-out valve in the pipe that could also cause slow equalization of the tanks.
chris1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 05:13 AM   #19

I run a MDT with 2*100 gallon tanks.

If you fill up at a "normal" gas station, it is one tank at a time and they have small nozzles so expect a wait. There is a 'equilibrium" tube between the two tanks but it is so small that it takes a long time for the tanks to even out so you usually have to turn the truck around and fill the other tank.

In my neck of the woods, you usually have to have a special CC to use the truck stop tanks. BIG nozzle. Fast fill up of both tanks with 2 different hoses.

Thankfully, no DEF for me.

I would look to see where you are going..what truck stops there are and if you need a special CC and go that way..

Besides, there is so much room at a truck stop vs a local gas station..
Old 04-10-2017, 07:01 AM   #20

Reports from my first attempt at using a gas can.
Grassy, thanks for your updates as well..

So I learned that the tanks are not equally accessible on the verona. Due to the DEF tank the drivers side fill hole is slightly forward of the pass. side tank.
This caused a slight issue with using the gas can to fill the pass. side tank as the side body work overhangs the fill hole on the pass. side.

It took AWHILE to get this done... I think I used 4 or 5 gas can runs to the pass. side, approx. 4 gal. each time. I took a total of 53 gals. but did get full.

Another minor observation is that it was just getting dark when I went, and I chose an outside island to pull up to. This caused a shadow on the pass. side, I had to dig out a flashlight to see how close I was getting to full on the pass. side.

I 'think' I may be able to straddle two islands and stretch a hose from each side, but I will have to wait to try this.

OH ! and diesel is messy ! I will be packing gloves for the next attempt.

Thanks for all the replies.
Bruce
Old 04-10-2017, 09:41 AM   #21

I keep a box of those disposable rubber exam type gloves right inside the driver's door, under the left side of my seat. Then when I start to fuel I put them on and try to touch nothing not necessary. Also, I keep a small bungee cord on each side. When I put the hose into the tank I stretch the cord over the top and strap the nozzle in place. I didn't use to do that. One time I was filling up and a huge wind came up and blew the nozzle out and sprayed a bunch of fuel all over before I could get over there to shut it off. Now I always use the bungee, even on a calm day.

I also use those gloves when I'm dumping the holding tanks.
Old 04-16-2017, 03:01 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassy View Post
I run a MDT with 2*100 gallon tanks.

If you fill up at a "normal" gas station, it is one tank at a time and they have small nozzles so expect a wait. There is a 'equilibrium" tube between the two tanks but it is so small that it takes a long time for the tanks to even out so you usually have to turn the truck around and fill the other tank.

In my neck of the woods, you usually have to have a special CC to use the truck stop tanks. BIG nozzle. Fast fill up of both tanks with 2 different hoses.

Thankfully, no DEF for me.

I would look to see where you are going..what truck stops there are and if you need a special CC and go that way..

Besides, there is so much room at a truck stop vs a local gas station..
Some truck stops only accept fleet cards at the pump. However, you can go in and let them hold your regular credit card until you are filled up. It is an extra trip to the cashier, but no big deal. It is worth it for the convenience of access, quick double fueling, and the nice long handled windshield washer/squeegees they provide. Just remember to pull up before you go in to settle up. You will be done before the rig behind you is topped off, so everything keeps moving and no one is held up unnecessarily.

FlyingJ/Petro accepts Visa/MC for pay at the pump at many of their facilities.
Old 04-16-2017, 03:11 PM   #23

Send a message via AIM to OldHiker Send a message via Yahoo to OldHiker
First, most regular gas stations have very sloooowwww fuel flow. Secondly, go inside and tell them to charge your card for over what you expect to pay for. DO NOT GIVE THEM YOUR CARD! Someone else could make a purchase with it. When you are done, go back in and get the correct receipt for your purchase. Should be no issues with this.

I have a hard time believing that you don't have some tube connecting the 2 tanks to even them up. But, like someone else stated, I have one tank and can fill it from either side.
OldHiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 05:32 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrel View Post

FlyingJ/Petro accepts Visa/MC for pay at the pump at many of their facilities.
Thanks. was wondering what it was going to be when we start running in the states. I would rather not have a wack of extra CCs just to deal with each individual diesel station.
Old 04-17-2017, 07:15 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldHiker View Post

I have a hard time believing that you don't have some tube connecting the 2 tanks to even them up. But, like someone else stated, I have one tank and can fill it from either side.
It does have a tube connecting the tanks... it just takes A LONG time to balance the two.

Thanks
Old 05-04-2017, 11:44 AM   #26

As stated clearly, there is no true equalizer pipe that is utilized at time of fueling. There is a 3/8" conecting tube used to equally draw from both tanks at the same time when the engine is drawing. These are class 7 trucks and no class 7/8 truck come OEM with a connector pipe for filling from one side only. Freightliner Custom Chassis's are modified by the manafacturer (Newmar) to fill from one inlet, such modifcation are not feasible on say the M2's or Casscadia's. Filling 100 gallons (2- 50 gallon tanks) at a truck stop with a primary and slave pump is as efficient as it gets!
ragoodspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 09:25 AM   #27

Workhorse Chassis Owner
i leave my engine running it does not make any difference
Old 05-24-2017, 05:21 AM   #28

It would not make any difference leaving engine on in regards to filling it only draws equally from the consumption point of view. You should not be leaving the engine running when fueling anyway.
ragoodspeed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, tank