Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Renegade Motorhome Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-27-2017, 05:14 PM   #29

I took the Explorer out earlier today to get a baseline for some hills just down the road on I-82. There are 3 5% climbs in a 25 mile stretch. I left it in drive and let the trans shift down on its own. Set the cruise control at 66. No toad

First one is just over 3 miles long and between 5% and 6% in different spots and made it to the top at 54 and had been 54 for a good half mile so it looked like it was maintaining. It was down to 59 about 1/2 mile in and dropped to 54 over about 2 miles as it chugged along in 5th gear.

Second is 2 miles and made it at 59

Last one was also 3 miles of steady 5% and once again slowed to 54. This time losing 12 miles an hour in about 2 miles and then maintaining the 54 to the top

All were in 5th gear. Wouldn't have gone any faster in 4th as it would have been maxed out RPM wise at that speed.

Looks like the Canyon is costing me about 3 MPH as it probably would have done like 51 instead of 54 on the longer grades.

I will update tomorrow
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2017, 05:25 PM   #30

Sounds very similar to what I experience as well
deputybubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 06:12 PM   #31
Administrator Emeritus

Thanks for taking the time to post your results Frank...

I recall a post you made recently, where you made a statement regarding the total time we might spend in the mountains, versus the total time we're in the coach and that the effect of "slowing a bit" because we're in the mountains wasn't that big of a deal when compared to the safety and comfort that our rigs provide....
Of course, you said it much more eloquently but you get my drift....
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 07:27 PM   #32
Administrator Emeritus

Frank says it best.... Had to go and find this.... Words to live by.

"Its doable and shouldn't be a deal breaker as I also got almost 10 mph at 68 in the hills. Big upside for a very small downside as far as I am concerned"
Old 08-28-2017, 03:43 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelsbeach View Post
Frank says it best.... Had to go and find this.... Words to live by.

"Its doable and shouldn't be a deal breaker as I also got almost 10 mph at 68 in the hills. Big upside for a very small downside as far as I am concerned"
Thank you for the kind words. I have been accused of the opposite

Here's the update. Darin told me originally that the tune they could put in it would ultimately be decided when the ecu was finally hooked up to their computer. Well.... When they hooked it up and Josh fiddled with it for about 1/2 hour trying to find the 400/1250 uprate.... No such luck. He shows me that it only allows the 350/1150 tune. He believes its because its the brand new for this year L9 and not the ISL from last year. Seems Cummins is being very conservative at this point in time. I'm hugely disappointed but after they discount it down to 2000.00 with the 5 year warranty intact and a few calculations on my calculator as to what I should expect I tell them to go ahead with it.

Finished up and took the same route as yesterday. My calculations were spot on. I calculated it took 980 lb/ft of torque to maintain speed up the grade. That was 1500 RPM and 54 mph.. That same 980 is now made at approximately 1700 rpm and it worked out to 59 mph and that's exactly what it did. I was calculating a 9 mph increase with the 400/1250 tune but I gotta say I am pleased with the 5 I got. The 1700.00 savings made it much easier to take also.

Bottom line. It was worth it even if I didn't get quite what I hoped for. All I really wanted was for it to climb a 6% grade at 50 or better leaving it in drive. I truly believe it will do that easily now as before it would do no more that 47 in drive and 51 manually shifting it. I think I will get 55 or 6 in drive now in 5th gear instead of 47 in 4th..

Anybody interested in doing theirs on the West Coast I will give you my guys contact info. He is the direct sales rep for all 37 of their stores but is based in Yakima. He can hook you up at YOUR closest facility or you can bring it to Yakima. The guys here are stellar. One of the only Cummins stores on the West Coast with 3 master techs. Most have one or two.

I will provide you with his name and cell # in a private message as I don't believe I am allowed to post it in a post.
Old 08-28-2017, 06:30 PM   #34

Frank,
Thanks for that update !
awesome how just 150 lbs of tq. made THAT much of a difference !
I need to still do solar before I can get the auth. code from the CFO for this upgrade...
But hopefully in the next year I can swing it....

Thanks.
Bruce
Old 09-12-2017, 03:33 PM   #35

Just a quick update.

We left Yakima Thursday and drove over White Pass then down through Portland, and then Southwest to Lincoln City Oregon. Averaged 9.2 MPG per Scanguage which is 3 tenths off so 8.9. Power over the pass was not a drastic improvement but noticeably better

Left Lincoln City Sunday Morning and drove north to Astoria Oregon and then east to Centralia WA where there is a very nice little RV park. Mostly 50 to 57 MPH as it was all 2 lane road (We prefer the back roads. Best way to actually see the country) Mostly flat terrain with just a few hills and again 9.2 per scanguage. That means 8.9 again.

Left Centralia this morning and drove home again via Highway 12 over white pass. Almost the entire drive is hilly terrain and 2 lane. mostly 55 to 59 with some stretches that have lots of 35 mph curves. Beautiful drive but you gotta pay attention. Averaged 8.4 this leg which is 8.1.

I figure I got around 8.6 or 8.7 overall so it appears I lost a bit of MPG with the uprate. Maybe 3 to 5 tenths.

Overall the uprate is about what I expected. It is very economical on the flat stretches and seems to use more in the hills. It uses more but gets there a bit quicker. Heat just wasn't an issue at all. The clutch fan will still quickly cool it. I gotta say I am pleased with the results. Fuel mileage is still exceptional for an 8.9 Cummins. Going to give my feedback to Cummins also in the hopes that they will let me uprate it to the 400/1250 or 450/1250. next. Be nice to be able to pass quickly on the short uphill passing lanes they provide on some 2 lane highways.

As an afterthought... The coach itself is outstanding and was getting compliments at the fuel stop and both RV Parks. We even gave several tours with the most used word being "WOW" lol

Frank
Old 09-14-2017, 10:45 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Tamez View Post
Just a quick update.
Mostly flat terrain with just a few hills and again 9.2 per scanguage. That means 8.9 again.

Frank
Frank, just a quick question, why is the scanguage no dead on ?

I'm still debating getting one... but I would love to have the MPG available.
As it is now I'm always sloppy guessing with how much the genny took.

Thanks
Bruce
Old 09-14-2017, 06:16 PM   #37

Not sure why its off Bruce. According to the instructions there is a way to "Train" it to be accurate by manually imputing the mileage and gallons used each fuel up for 4 or 5 in a row. I can live with the .3 difference as is easy enough to just figure .3 less than what it shows.

Overall its a great tool and seems to make you want to "win" and drive smarter. This will make it pay for itself if used that way. As an example. So far it appears that 67 is the sweet spot on mine. 68 and 69 are still pretty good but 70 and above and the mpg goes downhill quick. Good info to have

Frank
Old 09-17-2017, 04:52 PM   #38

Frank,
My assumption is that the Scan gauge also will tell you the fuel being consumed driving down the road.
This would be a help, as I'm always trying to fudge how much fuel the generator used.

Thanks again for the info.
Bruce
Old 09-17-2017, 06:16 PM   #39
Administrator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Tamez View Post
As an example. So far it appears that 67 is the sweet spot on mine. 68 and 69 are still pretty good but 70 and above and the mpg goes downhill quick. Good info to have

Frank
Umm.... Houston, we gonna have a problem.