RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRUCK CONVERSIONS, MDT's & HDT's FORUMS > Truck Conversions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-20-2019, 12:37 PM   #15

I bought a 2019 Valencia in October. I've now been about 3000 miles in this coach pulling a custom aluminum carhauler with a 950 pound motorcycle and Jeep Wrangler on the trailer. The total weight of the trailer and vehicles is about 7000 pounds. For the previous 6 years I have been pulling that trailer with a Gulfstream Endura, super C with the 6.0 International chassis. I have been delighted with the Renegade and can say unequivocally that it has exceeded my expectations. I had always found climbing the hills on I-77 around the VA NC line to be a challenge. Not with the Valencia. With the mode setting on, it pulled the hills really well.

Gonzo34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2019, 05:50 PM   #16

Thanks Gonzo34,
It sounds like you are pulling a lot more weight than I currently tow, so your experience is good to hear. My primary motivation to upgrade is to be able to keep a speed of 50 mph or something close to that on any grade. Sometimes I can be creeping along at 30-35 mph (with flashers) praying someone not paying attention doesn't ram into me from behind.
Anything else, good or bad, about the Valencia you would be willing to share, I'm all ears.

M. Liner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 03:00 AM   #17

I don't think a Valencia will be able to pull 7% grades at 50 MPH. I have one, and I have been very pleased with quality/power. IMHO saying you want 50 MPH on any grade is a stretch for the ISB 6.7. I had Ford V10 Class A before and the Valencia has much more torque than it, but you may need more than it if you want 50 MPH+ on "any grade".
Old 06-21-2019, 07:18 AM   #18

I can't tell you what the grade on I-77 is but I can tell you I've travelled from NH Seacoast to Texas, FL, Arkansas, W. Virginia and pulled some pretty tough grades. The International chassis was pretty painful. Torque band is much lower and the gearing much butter with the Freightliner. I'm less concerned about what my speed going up the hill and more concerned about maintaining a reasonable and actually being able to pass trucks up the grades. I want to dictate my speed, not have it dictated by the trucks. That's why I've been pleased with this chassis combo. My speed has never gone backwards and I've always been able to pass the TTs. I tend to drive on the "fast" side and have been pleased. In mode, lots of torque at low rpms.
Gonzo34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 07:39 AM   #19

I cannot maintain 50 on grades. With an isl
deputybubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 04:47 PM   #20

Hmmm. Thanks guys for the input. Maybe my expectations are too high, especially for one of the smaller Cummins engines. Unfortunately there is no way I could justify or afford stepping up to a Cascadia or Volvo.
Old 06-22-2019, 11:10 AM   #21

We have crossed the country from Las Vegas to DC twice in our Verona LE and although we encountered some huge grades where we were down below 50 we were always still passing most 18 wheelers on the grade. But more important its only for a few minutes out of your trip. Not like you will spend even portions of an hours at 45 mph. I know Valencia owers who pull 28' race trailers and they do just fine.
Doug Darby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 06:14 PM   #22

Thanks Doug,
True enough. If I was in a hurry I wouldn't be in an RV to begin with. Over the past 11 years I've learned to enjoy the journey and not be so focused on ETAs.
Of course, your Verona has considerably more torque than on the ISB 6.7L. Right now I'm very interested in the new Valencia 35MB they have on the drawing board and wondering if the slightly less weight this one might have, being 3' shorter, might make a difference.
Old 06-22-2019, 08:47 PM   #23

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdeperte View Post
I have a 2019 Verona 40 VRB. Out here in the West on a long grade it will slow to about 43-45. If you get caught behind a slower vehicle it is nearly impossible to get your speed back. I am pulling a 5000 lb pickup.

The mode button works the opposite on the Verona. Neither mode gives you the extended shift points necessary and for best performance you need to shift manually when climbing grades.
How does it perform on I-15 NB on Baker Pass from Baker, an approx 16 mile grade with up to 6% portions?
What is your rear axle ratio?
I have been trying Cummins PowerSpec software to determine the RPMs from 55 to 75 MPH and guessing the 4.78 differential is as low as you can go and stay under 2,000 RPM at 75. The 1,455 RPM at 55 MPH (if adhering to the Calif limit when towing) seems low unless you manually shift and run in 5th or 4th on grades in the Los Angeles area. Is this correct?
I am dreaming about an upgrade to the Verona LE or Newmars Super Star if it ever gets available and information to compare it to Renagade's products.
2012 Bay Star 2901, 2 ACs, 5.5KW Onan, 765W solar & Outback FM-60, 800 AH Lifeline AGMs & Magnum MS2812 + AGS + BMK, Koni FSDs, Safe-T-Plus, Super Steer Rear Track Bar, MCD Duo shades w/powered cockpit, remodeled galley, Sumo springs and 2008 Tacoma 4x4 toad.
joes2901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 12:11 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Liner View Post
Thanks deputybubba for the clarification. That explains a lot. I am still wondering if the 800 lbs. torque of the ISB 6.7 will be enough to pull my 3,500 lb. Subaru up the steeper mountain grades at a reasonable 50-55 mph, which is my main motivation to upgrade to the diesel.
Here are some real-world experience. I have 2020 Valencia w/ISB 6.7. On a recent trip from Orange Cty, CA to Las Vegas (for those that know the I15 Las Vegas corridor), this is how it performed.

Towed a 2017 JK Unlimited w/2 inch lift
Full fuel
100 gallons of fresh water
3 adults
Enough clothes for a weekend in Vegas (Not much since itís still hot)
Going up the Cajon Pass NB I was able to maintain 55 mph.
Going up the Baker Pass NB I was able to maintain 50 mph.
The exhaust brake kept the speed in check on the long downhill into State line.
Going up the grade SB after state line I was able to maintain 50 mph
Going SB coming down the grade into Baker, exhaust brake kept the speed in check.
Going SB down the Cajon pass, exhaust brake kept the speed in check.
On the flats I was able to maintain 65/70 mph very easily.
My biggest concern was the engine in the S2RV chassis. I was very impressed on how the engine and power balance. Itís no DD15, but very drivable.
stanlow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 04:40 PM   #25

Thanks Stanlow1 for that great information! I am very familiar with the grades on the I-15 and those speeds you reported seem reasonable and acceptable to me. This also appears to align with the consensus I have read on the Facebook Renegade page. The Cummins ISB 6.7L is sufficient, but you won't be the fastest truck on the highway. For that, one has to move up to the Detroits and Volvos, a very steep price to pay for what is essentially a depreciating asset. I assume you were in the performance mode, which everyone says makes a big difference. My conclusion is that one will only find the Valencia underpowered if expectations are unrealistically high. Thanks again.
Old 10-09-2019, 12:51 PM   #26

Yes the tranny was in Mode.

I also like to add that the JK towed behind the Freightliner is like nothing back there. No pull, no sway, I have to remind myself there is something back there. I have it configured with the AirForceOne brake controller.

Look for my updates on different thread regarding changing the 8D battery to 3 BattleBorn 100 ah batteries.

stanlow1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cummins, freightliner