RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRUCK CONVERSIONS, MDT's & HDT's FORUMS > Truck Conversions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-06-2019, 05:27 PM   #1

Garmin Radio and Navigation

I have only about 2500 miles on my 2019 Valencia but canít get the volume to come up when the radio muted for navigation or Bluetooth phone calls. Seems like Iíve tried all sorts of adjustments to no avail. Can anybody tell me how these should be set? Thanks for any help.

Gonzo34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2019, 06:16 PM   #2

Gonzo,

Save yourself a bunch of frustration.

Forget about using the dash radio supplied by Renegade for navigation and use it for Bluetooth music and phone. Buy a separate Garmin, mount it where it can actually be seen when driving in daylight, without glare, and without contorting your neck.

The mech-less "radio" head unit mounted in an M2 dashboard is not all that useful because of reach issues, glare, and volume control buttons made for folks with real dainty fingers.

From much actual experience and many direct route comparisons, Garmin software is definitely a step up for route planning compared to Apple maps or Google maps. Especially for dealing with low clearance bridges along your route. Have been told the rand McNally software is good also. Apparently used by truckers.

DeetsMaggie

DeetsMaggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 10:08 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo34 View Post
I have only about 2500 miles on my 2019 Valencia but canít get the volume to come up when the radio muted for navigation or Bluetooth phone calls. Seems like Iíve tried all sorts of adjustments to no avail. Can anybody tell me how these should be set? Thanks for any help.
It took about a dozen updates of the dock and hub via the Garmin Express website to get my volume working. The unit is a POS.
2004 Blue Bird M380 (sold)
RonLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 09:46 AM   #4

Thank you. I use a Rand McNally RV GPS and have found that routing better than the Garmin when I have them both running, so I can live without routing through the Garmin. But, Iíd really like to be able to listen to the Garmin radio but be able to hear a call when it comes in over Bluetooth. I guess Iíll just have to take calls on my headset if thatís the only solution. Was just hoping I had it adjusted wrong.
Gonzo34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 09:38 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Has anyone swapped out the Jensen/Garmin system for a better system? I would like to replace the system with something like we had in our 2018 Dutchstar, but not able to locate any dealers who will work with me.
Looking for suggestions as I agree the system is a POS! Camera goes off after a turn and I have to physically reset it, among other things like poor visibility of the screen, etc, etc.)
chipf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 11:59 AM   #6

I use a standalone GPS and use this unit just for camera/audio. IMHO trying to have one unit do all 3 functions is always going to be frustrating. You can fix the issue with the camera turning off. If you update the firmware and turn off the triggers for cameras 2 and 3, you can keep it on rear camera 100% of the time. Mine is set up exactly like that.

I have not come across and plug and play replacements, and again think that trying to use 1 device for all 3 functions is always going to be suboptimal.
Old 07-16-2019, 06:33 PM   #7

I turned off the trigger for 2 and 3 and plugged the camera feed into a separate monitor that I mounted up where a rear view mirror would be. I also use a separate Garmin gps that I can actually see. The only thing I use the head unit for is music.
Joe II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 07:10 PM   #8

I have a stand alone Garmin 770 RV GPS and use the Bluetooth function on the GPS for phone calls. I Link my iPad to my sound bar on my television for music from Pandora.
TXTiger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 03:36 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Appreciate the feedback. My biggest issue is the Camera watching the rear toad & traffic, so I like the idea of a separate monitor. I already use a separate RV GPS and it has helped us with clearance issues a few times.

Thanks
chipf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 05:02 PM   #10

Loncevon- 7 inch Small Portable HDMI VGA HD LCD Computer Monitor for PC Laptop; Raspberry pi 3 Display Screen Monitor ; Video HDMI Monitor- IPS 1024x600 -Build in Speaker, Headphone Jack, Remote https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XQJVXHL..._gI6lDbVJ4Z1G6
Old 07-17-2019, 05:02 PM   #11

Thatís the one I got. Works just fine.

Tags
radio