Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRUCK CONVERSIONS, MDT's & HDT's FORUMS > Truck Conversions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-03-2007, 09:39 PM   #1

I've been planning to get a truck conversion RV for well over a year and still haven't pulled the trigger on that plan. I have narrowed my choices down to 2 smaller custom builders, both of which are 1500+ miles from my present home. I've had email contact with both but can't find any information beyond what they tell me about their companies. Ultimately I'll visit in person before I buy but two trips are not likely. Neither are listed in the BBB (they are small outfits) and while I've seen photos of their work and favorable comments on several RV forums, I'd sure like to know more before I spend my money. The two are ToolSet and Transport Designs- anyone have any first hand (even second hand?) info about them?
Roy

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2007, 09:39 PM   #2

I've been planning to get a truck conversion RV for well over a year and still haven't pulled the trigger on that plan. I have narrowed my choices down to 2 smaller custom builders, both of which are 1500+ miles from my present home. I've had email contact with both but can't find any information beyond what they tell me about their companies. Ultimately I'll visit in person before I buy but two trips are not likely. Neither are listed in the BBB (they are small outfits) and while I've seen photos of their work and favorable comments on several RV forums, I'd sure like to know more before I spend my money. The two are ToolSet and Transport Designs- anyone have any first hand (even second hand?) info about them?
Roy

Old 01-11-2007, 03:18 PM   #3

Transport Designs is in Montoursville PA.
Google doesn't show "Tool Set"

Someone on this Forum must be familiar with
Transport Designs in Montoursville PA.
Old 01-11-2007, 08:56 PM   #4

ToolSet is one word- they are near St Paul MN. Their website is www.toolsetmotorhomes.com I would really like to hear from a few of their former customers. Its a big purchase which just tends to make me worry. My gut feeling is both of these companies are very good but just following my gut hasn't always worked out well.
Roy
Old 01-13-2007, 11:05 PM   #5

I think I saw several galleries of photos on toolset on www.truckconversion.net

Gypsy Journal Newspaper
Nick Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 07:10 PM   #6

Pulling the trigger on any custom project is risky. Many of these small builders are one law suit away from closing their doors forever. That is what worries me. An ex business partners conversion was in the Road Master Shop when they closed. Gee what a mess that was. You may want to contact Bill Bishop in Tampa. He had a custom unit being built by one of the two guys you listed. Call Bill at (813) 926-7900

That is what I am wonder about myself. Buying an out of the create conversion like a Showhauler or Optima or rolling the dice with one of the little shops. Let's us know what you decide to do. Good Luck.
Old 09-03-2007, 08:01 PM   #7

I went with a "small" conversion builder aprox a year ago,...visited with him at his shop and later contacted a couple of his customers. The feedback I received was positive.
I liked his shop configuration and that he kept it clean.
Also, I liked several of his construction methods such as 1.5 inch sq tube walls on 16" centers, .050" alum outer skins, heavy duty (steel inner structure) entrance door, 100 gallon holding tank capacities, etc...
Everything was built with quality and endurance in mind. Dimensional tolerances were held to + or - 1/8"
I made arrangements to pay aprox 50% down with remainder due when the unit was ready for delivery.
Everything was built as expected -or- better and there weren't any supprises on the final bill.
I'm not necessarily endorsing his business however, I'm definately satisfied with my conversion. He is in Jackson, Mo should you wish to check him out.
http://www.hawkengineering.com/
Old 09-04-2007, 08:46 AM   #8

From a posting on "Escapees", FYI:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> anthony desnick

Posted September 01, 2007 08:46 AM
Hi all, I'm announcing that ToolSet Motorhomes is out of business as a building of HDT based motorhomes and toterhomes. We had a lot of difficulties with suppliers (fabricators mostly) on our coaches and left clients too unhappy for my taste.

I've also taken a day job looking after design for a high end wood furniture ccompany here in Minnesota. Halcon Corporation

So what to do? Well asd an architect, my forte has always been design so I'll continue to offer design services for people who want to build their own or hire a builder to complete their coaches. We have done this already for a couple of clients and it has worked out well. If you take a complete set of detailed construction documents to a builder they are delighted to work with you haveing more than the rather vague ideas customers often bring.

We will still build Class B units on Sprinter models beacuse I love the work and don't have to rely on local metalworkers to get it right.

if you have any questions about your rigs or about our business model please don't hesitate to contact me.I love to design these things and I hope it shows.

Our web site hasn't changed yet but will soon to reflect the new business model.

Good luck to all out there. Tony

www.toolsetmotorhomes.com </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 09-04-2007, 05:10 PM   #9

With Anthony out, I guess it narrows your choices. Get some refrences from the builder and call the customers. Thats the best referral, see if they brought it in ontime and on budget. Suprises are no fun when your spending big dollars.
Old 10-20-2007, 04:08 PM   #10

Hey Ford 8 You Asked
-----------------------------------------------
ToolSet and Transport Designs- anyone have any first hand (even second hand?) info about them?
------------------------------------------------
LooseClu
Posted January 04, 2007 12:39 AM
The two are ToolSet and Transport Designs- anyone have any first hand (even second hand?) info about them?
Roy
Posts: 5 | Location: Corpus Christi, TX. | Registered: October 29, 2006
------------------------------------------------
I wrote

He had a custom unit being built by one of the two guys you listed. Call Bill at (813) 926-7900

When I returned from vaction I called Bill Bishop who is a Tampa custom home builder. He said he has been at odds with Steve at Transport Designs about this coach for over one year. It appears several units are on the ground in question at his location! I know this is hear say so please call Bill with your questions. Bill stated he has been talking with another customer named Don Wynn who can't get Transport Design to stand behind the warranty.

Again hear say! So take it for what its worth! I would call Bill and maybe I can get Don's number when I get back fron the SEMA Show next week.

Bill Motorcoach Stuck at Transport Designs