Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRUCK CONVERSIONS, MDT's & HDT's FORUMS > Truck Conversions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-02-2019, 06:33 AM   #1

Instrument Panel Illumination Issue

Mine panel stays on all the time. I noticed a couple of nights ago when we were staying aboard that the dash was lit up. So was the Scan Gauge D which usually goes to sleep shortly after the ignition is shut off.

I turned the chassis battery switch off for 30 minutes and that did not help.
RonLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2019, 09:40 AM   #2

Had the same problem on my 2017 when I picked it up. One of the many items missed on the PDI? Noticed it on my first stop on the way home. Its a freightliner problem. Had to take it to freightliner twice before it was fixed. One thing you might try is making sure both doors are slammed tight. That was the first freightliner fix ( which didn’t work).
netjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 12:38 PM   #3

I’m actually glad to see this posted...as I experienced the same thing a few times. The fix was “close the door fully” lol. Could be other possibilities I’m sure, maybe just the switch or switch adjustment if that’s possible. In the end I believe I just babied the door, because after I recognized the culprit we haven’t seen it again. IMO, I would focus on the door switch first, either adjustment or replacement if the door is closing correctly.
RaceRenegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 03:33 PM   #4

I asked on Facebook and got this response:

***"We ran into an issue where dash lights were staying on, then eventually brake lights. Turned out that the ground wire in the wiring jungle under the driver’s seat had come loose and wasn’t grounded."***

Funny thing is that I have been messing around under the seat with the dampner cable AND I noticed my brake lights flashing on and off when parked for the last two days. Killing the chassis battery stopped that and we drove 200 miles today with no problem. The coach is in home storage now with the chassis battery off.

Tomorrow I am going under the seat looking for a loose ground wire.

This just came in from the Facebook person:***
It was the PDM (power distribution module"*** according to the Freightliner tech who fixed it.

Now when I know what this is I'll know what to look for.

Old 12-03-2019, 02:19 PM   #5

I looked under the driver's seat for a loose wire and gave up. The coach is now at the local Freightliner dealer. It is a first come drop off place where you get it back when they are ready to give it back.

We should start a pool to see who has the best guess as to what is wrong, but I am betting on a bad ground. Most of the electrical problems on my previous boats, cars and motor homes have been caused by a bad ground. I once had a new car that when you used the turn signals the windshield wipers would come on and keep time with the turn signal clicks. It was a bad ground in the dash.
Old 12-06-2019, 04:14 PM   #6

Picked it up from FL dealer today. Here is verbiage from service ticket.

Dash lights stay on and brake lights flicker. Pulled unit into shop and performed diag. Removed old ICU and installed new ICU and found dash lights do not stay on and brake lights do not flicker any more. Found ICU is covered under basic warranty and ordered new replacement ICU. Installed new ICU and found same issue with ICU staying powered up. Installed a test bulkhead module and still found same issue. Checked service solutions and found chassis module will wake bulkhead module back up and keep ICU powered up. Installed test chassis module and found ICU will power down like it is supposed to and installed new chassis module. Retested after installation of new chassis module and found no issues. All works. Turned in old defective chassis module to parts department. Chassis module part #A66-03087-000.
Old 12-09-2019, 06:48 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonLC View Post
Picked it up from FL dealer today. Here is verbiage from service ticket.

Dash lights stay on and brake lights flicker. Pulled unit into shop and performed diag. Removed old ICU and installed new ICU and found dash lights do not stay on and brake lights do not flicker any more. Found ICU is covered under basic warranty and ordered new replacement ICU. Installed new ICU and found same issue with ICU staying powered up. Installed a test bulkhead module and still found same issue. Checked service solutions and found chassis module will wake bulkhead module back up and keep ICU powered up. Installed test chassis module and found ICU will power down like it is supposed to and installed new chassis module. Retested after installation of new chassis module and found no issues. All works. Turned in old defective chassis module to parts department. Chassis module part #A66-03087-000.

Thank you for the updated!! Has the issue been remedied (the ticket says it's fixed)?

Ted
jestew3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 08:15 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jestew3 View Post
Thank you for the updated!! Has the issue been remedied (the ticket says it's fixed)?

Ted
Picked it up Friday and it is as it should be.
Old 12-10-2019, 05:10 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonLC View Post
Picked it up Friday and it is as it should be.

Good deal Ron, thank you for the reply.

Ted
jestew3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
panel