Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRUCK CONVERSIONS, MDT's & HDT's FORUMS > Truck Conversions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-17-2014, 08:55 AM   #1

Just Sitting

Just wondering about something; I have not had a chance to take my coach (2004 Dynamax Grand Sport 420) on a trip since bringing it home in late November 2013, due to the weather. I have spent some time getting familiar with the furnace and other systems of the coach.

I have moved it around on the farm, exercised the slides, and then parked it back in it's location and plugged it in to the power.

Is it OK for the coach to sit for awhile and not be driven (maybe until warmer weather)?

Rodie
Rodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2014, 09:32 AM   #2

I would just fire things up and let them warm up and cycle every month or so.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 12:39 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If it is a Gasser.. I'd seafoam the gas tank, Estimate the amount of gas in the tank and add the proper amount.

If it is a Diesel... Same advice.

Be sure to exercise the generator.. And park it level with jacks down.

Come spring, step one is lube the jacks per the owner's manual.

Then Sanitize the water system (Fresh water) Rinse with baking soda in water (I use about a half cup to a tank of water, exact the ratio need not be) then with fresh water. Then fill with water and enjoy.
Old 01-17-2014, 04:36 PM   #4

Rodie,

My rig is in non-heated storage for the winter (cold and snow) ((salt)). I fuel up and add anti-gel to the tanks. Lift the weight off the tires by lowing the jacks. It is winterized and I have battery tenders on the batteries. Made sure the auto gen start is off. I also remove most of your stuff except dishes and silverware.

There are pros and cons to exercising the engine and gen set. I have elected not to find the value in starting things up so I don't. Have not had any issues yet.
Old 01-17-2014, 07:22 PM   #5

I guess it's like the question, "what's better Ford or Chevy?" I'm no mechanic but I have some friends that are heavy truck mechanic. They all advise me to leave it shut off. Unless you can take it for a good long (half hour minimum) drive. You will not be able to get it properly warmed up just sitting idling. And you'll cause condensation to build up in the engine if you don't get it good and warmed up. My guys agree with Ed's protocol. My generator guy says it's best to fire up the genset and put a good load on it and leave it run for half hour at least every month. I store mine in a heated storage unit. I don't run mine during the winter (MN) because I can't take the rig out for a drive. And I can't run the genset in the storage without stinking it up good. Another note here. My Caterpillar manual says that if the engine has been off for more than a week I supposed to disable the fuel pump and crank it over for several seconds. That builds oil pressure. Then get the fuel pump going and start it up. I can't figure out how to do that so I don't do it. One of these days I'll have one of my buddy truck mechanics check it out and figure out how to do it.
Old 01-19-2014, 05:19 PM   #6

i dont see much use in turning off fuel system to prime oil system. oil pressure should built right up when started. just dont rev up till engine runs a few minutes and watch gauges.
volvoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 04:36 AM   #7

Shame it's just sitting like that. If it would make you feel any better I'd gladly borrow it from you for a few weeks and get it some sunshine.
That's the least I could do to help with your dilemma.
Dogtales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 06:51 AM   #8

Just Sitting

Dogtales,

I would love to go south myself. This has been a very cold and snowy winter, hard to get outside and do anything.

Thanks for the offer, however, I will wait until I can make that trip myself and not only get the coach in the sunshine, but get myself in the sunshine also.
Rodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 07:03 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodie View Post
Dogtales, I would love to go south myself. This has been a very cold and snowy winter, hard to get outside and do anything. Thanks for the offer, however, I will wait until I can make that trip myself and not only get the coach in the sunshine, but get myself in the sunshine also.
The best thing one can do is get it inside heated storage, the winter weather and wild fluctuation in temperatures destroys these MH over a short time. I started sorting mine 3 years ago, it's a night and day difference!
CAT2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 09:17 AM   #10

I might have mis stated what I think Cat's intentions are with their advice to disable fuel and crank before starting. I believe it is to get oil circulated throughout the engine before there is any combustion/explosions/load on it. Not just to build up pressure. I can certainly see why this would be a good idea. If there is no oil spread around in the engine and you start the pistons firing (which mine fires up pretty quick when it starts to crank) it would wear much more. You won't find any engine builder worth a dime that would put together an engine and fire it up without priming the oiling system. My car engine builder even uses a modified distributor shaft to pre-oil the engine, rather than just a oil pump spinner like many builders use. The modified distributor forces oil into other areas that would be missed using just the oil pump screwdriver. Anyhow, I agree with Cat's advice and see the reasoning. I have owned my truck for 5 years and put over 40k miles on it. And it sits for 6 months every winter. So, I haven't figured out how to follow their advice yet. But I sure wish I would/could/had.
Old 01-21-2014, 09:59 AM   #11

So I worked for the CAT equipment dealer for 30 years and they had both new and used engines, generators and heavy equipment in their OUTDOOR inventory. How many times do you think we went around and exercised the product.
Some of that stuff (especially engines) sat for a couple of years before it sold and then it was brought into the shop, modified to customer specs and then dyno'd.
Very rarely did we have issues related to units sitting unused.
How many rv and car dealers cycle their stuff-hmmm?
So I myself rarely cycle my stuff. Matter of fact my tractor, motorcycle, lawn equipment and gas powered tools are sitting at my house right now, p*ssed off I am in Texas haha.
G Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 10:32 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT2000 View Post
winter weather and wild fluctuation in temperatures destroys these MH over a short time.
CAT2000
That statement worries me !

How soon do you think that my MH, (which has been stored outside through 16 Wisconsin winters), will be destroyed by "winter weather and wild fluctuation in temperatures"??

Mel
'96 Safari, 3126 Cat, 132k miles
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 04:34 PM   #13

Hey Mel,
You know we don't have any of those 50 degree temp swings in 24 hours in WI.
After 16 years of your MH handling the WI weather I would say you have trained it well. It must be Packer tough, no dome for our team.
Old 01-21-2014, 06:58 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel stuplich View Post
CAT2000 That statement worries me ! How soon do you think that my MH, (which has been stored outside through 16 Wisconsin winters), will be destroyed by "winter weather and wild fluctuation in temperatures"?? Mel '96 Safari, 3126 Cat, 132k miles
I don't know what kind of winters you have there but we go from low's of -28c to highs of +10 and everything in between in a matter of days several times through the winters, that much moisture fluctuation reals havoc on away thing that sits outside.
CAT2000 is offline   Reply With Quote