Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRUCK CONVERSIONS, MDT's & HDT's FORUMS > Truck Conversions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-13-2018, 08:33 AM   #15

My Renegade Explorer is 38' and pulling my Race trailer its 74'.... No problems

My Previous 3 rigs were 45 feet and 85 overall.... We live in Wa State and have raced at tracks in California, Oregon, Idaho, Arizona, Nevada, Colorado, Ohio, Michigan, North Carolina, Kentucky and Georgia, as well as a couple in Canada... Driven through most of the lower 48 states at 85 feet (including Illinois and California) and have NEVER had a problem... Just set the cruise 2 miles over the speed limit and stay out of the left lanes except to pass....... I do, By the way, Have a CDL endorsement.

What was it that song said...... "Don't worry, Be Happy"

To all you naysayers and worry warts.......... If my statement above has in any way Offended or upset you............ Know that....... From the bottom of my heart............. That I don't care.

Frank
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-13-2018, 10:09 AM   #16

Thanks Frank... especially enjoyed the end of your post.. LOL
I’m probably going to roll at 73’ and not look back.
Doug Darby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 03:15 PM   #17

I just moved up from a 40 foot diesel pusher to a 45 foot. We use it to tow a race car all over the east coast and I have been wondering the same thing. Half the rigs at the race track are clearly way longer than 65 feet and my new 45 footer has a 15,000 pound hitch and hookups for a trailer with air breaks, no way are they expecting you to tow a 15,000 pound trailer that needs air breaks that is only 19 feet long including the hitch and tongue. I know a lot of states say 65 or shorter but it must not be enforced very often. Has anyone ever personally been stopped for being over length that can tell us about it?
ssiemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 08:55 AM   #18
Administrator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Tamez View Post

To all you naysayers and worry warts.......... If my statement above has in any way Offended or upset you............ Know that....... From the bottom of my heart............. That I don't care.

Frank
And that, ladies and gentlemen is why I love the Frankster's posts.
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 10:07 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiemon View Post
I just moved up from a 40 foot diesel pusher to a 45 foot. We use it to tow a race car all over the east coast and I have been wondering the same thing. Half the rigs at the race track are clearly way longer than 65 feet and my new 45 footer has a 15,000 pound hitch and hookups for a trailer with air breaks, no way are they expecting you to tow a 15,000 pound trailer that needs air breaks that is only 19 feet long including the hitch and tongue. I know a lot of states say 65 or shorter but it must not be enforced very often. Has anyone ever personally been stopped for being over length that can tell us about it?
The manufacturer will provide pretty much anything you want. They are not responsible for length restrictions or licensing, etc. If you ask them they will say that they expected you to get an overlength permit as required.

IMO if you do not attract attention through a moving violation you are very likely not going to get attention due to length. Overlength permits are simple to get and quite cheap, so there always is the possibility that the unit is legal??
Old 01-14-2019, 11:24 AM   #20

Outdoors RV Owners Club
When I was running long haul trucking, every tractor had a binder full of over-dimensional permits our company had purchased for the fleet. Most of them were in the $10-15 dollar range.

Buy a permit for where you're operating. Cheap insurance. And you're legal!
RoadDogYVR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing