RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRUCK CONVERSIONS, MDT's & HDT's FORUMS > Truck Conversions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-06-2018, 06:40 PM   #1

Legal versus "Experienced" towing length limit

I am thinking about buying a Renegade Verona LE 40' Super C to tow my 28' (30 with tongue) Vintage Race Trailer. I know the legal US limit is 65' but most dealers are telling my it is not enforced much with non commercial haulers like a personal RV and Trailer.
I would like to hear your experience if you have an RV and Trailer that exceed the 65' limit and travel with it regularly.

Doug Darby is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2018, 06:43 PM   #2

Don't travel near a racing event, or a place like Pismo, since they do check... since it is low hanging fruit.

Do26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 06:45 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I would agree with the statement that it is rare that anyone checks unless you were to be significantly over.
Chargerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 06:53 PM   #4

US Limit??
STATES set the length limits
TX is 65' as are several other states
IL is 60" and WILL GET YOU
Some states are 75'

The post about racing events & Pismo Bch are spot on.
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 06:56 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Havenít been bothered for several years towing including several trips through So. California...41í +25í ( total) trailer but Iím only a couple feet over.
I have been told having race stickers etc on the trailer etc May make a difference. All second hand info though
BillJinOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 06:58 PM   #6

A friend drove an over length 18 wheeler. He was over length because his custom built cab was waaaay long but gorgeous. Far as I know he never got hammered for it so I doubt you will. We had one of those super-c on our lot and it had a 20,000 lb hitch. Wow.
V3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 07:40 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Length could become a problem if you were ever involved in an accident, your fault or not. There are many ambulance chasers that go after those with the deepest pockets.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 08:04 PM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
Commercial trucks can purchase a permit(s) for overwidth or overlength vehicles in most states but I think there may be some slack on a factory built vehicle but it may be iffy on your trailer. I don’t know about personal units. Having said that, I have seen more than one type A towing very long enclosed trailers that I believe were close to the length you are looking at. I’m sure there are folks on here with first hand experience with that so it’ll be interesting to see their input.
Old 12-06-2018, 08:10 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Have not seen it personally but have heard that rigs heading out to the Glamis dunes up Ogilby Road are routinely stopped.

Have observed CHP officers sitting on the side of I8 watching those units heading west to the turnoff. Have not seen any stopped on the side of I8 by said officers.
Old 12-06-2018, 08:26 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
So, you get stopped. What they gonna do? Are they gonna ticket you and say, "OK, nice day, see ya later." Or are they gonna say "Park it till it's legal." I know in Utah, if you get stopped and have no insurance, you walk, vehicle is impounded. They actually enforce it for insurance, I bet they'd enforce it for length. But what's the worst that could happen? Laws are for the other guy, we're special. And I'm sure the other attorney won't pick up on the fact that you were over length and use that to blame you for the whole thing.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 10:28 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
Have not seen it personally but have heard that rigs heading out to the Glamis dunes up Ogilby Road are routinely stopped.

Have observed CHP officers sitting on the side of I8 watching those units heading west to the turnoff. Have not seen any stopped on the side of I8 by said officers.

CA requires a Non-Commercial Class A Drivers License to 'legally' tow a Travel Trailer with a GVWR over 10,000# or a 5th wheel trailer over 15,000#

Easy pickens....stop/license check----citation for wrong drivers license (CA DLs----not 'tourists')
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 12:36 AM   #12

A close friend has a 45í Haulmark, pulls a 39í 3 car stacker all over the West Coast to all the race tracks. At 84í it is a big ride going down the road. He said he has never had a problem or an issue. He said if he is forced to go to CA, he gets a permit.
RunningHard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 06:08 AM   #13

When we test "rode" in our Renegade the dealer had misplaced the keys to disconnect the attached stacker trailer. The stacker was a 31 footer with a 3-4' tongue. My best guess is that made the whole rig about 78'!! Apparently up in race country, in this instance Ohio, this is just another day at the office.

That was one of three units we considered that we knew were used to pull 31' stackers.

I don't know how they get by with it. I don't know how they learn to drive them either. The dealer we rode with had to rely on the courtesy/fear of other drivers to clear out so he could make certain turns!
Old 12-07-2018, 06:28 AM   #14

[QUOTE=Old-Biscuit;4531765]US Limit??
STATES set the length limits
TX is 65' as are several other states
IL is 60" and WILL GET YOU
Some states are 75'

60 inches in IL? I'd stay out of that state.

Tags
tow, towing