RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRUCK CONVERSIONS, MDT's & HDT's FORUMS > Truck Conversions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-09-2019, 01:08 PM   #1

M2 Seat Dampener Adjustment

I saw a couple of posts on Facebook talking about adjusting the dampener cable on an M2 air ride seat. They talked about taking the slack out of the cable so you can control the up and down movement of the seat.

I pulled up the seat bottom up and can see the cable leading from the control levler down under the center of the seat but can see no way to adjust the slack without removing the entire seat from the floor.

Am I missing an easy way to make this adjustment? I am not using it at all because of the wild ride.

2004 Blue Bird M380 (sold)
RonLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2019, 08:48 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonLC View Post
I saw a couple of posts on Facebook talking about adjusting the dampener cable on an M2 air ride seat. They talked about taking the slack out of the cable so you can control the up and down movement of the seat.

I pulled up the seat bottom up and can see the cable leading from the control levler down under the center of the seat but can see no way to adjust the slack without removing the entire seat from the floor.

Am I missing an easy way to make this adjustment? I am not using it at all because of the wild ride.
Are you sure you are following the right cable? I adjusted mine and it was readily accessible from the front of the seat. I'll get a pic if you still have problems. Mine were not adjusted from the factory very well, lots of slack.

tdeperte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 07:19 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdeperte View Post
Are you sure you are following the right cable? I adjusted mine and it was readily accessible from the front of the seat. I'll get a pic if you still have problems. Mine were not adjusted from the factory very well, lots of slack.
I can see the lever on the outside of the seat adjustment array of controls and the exposed cable on the inside which becomes enclosed in a tube and runs down the center of the seat to underneath.

Are you saying that I can adjust it at the control lever rather than underneath the seat?

A pic would be very nice if you can do one.

Thanks
Old 05-10-2019, 10:52 AM   #4

Quote:
I can see the lever on the outside of the seat adjustment array of controls and the exposed cable on the inside which becomes enclosed in a tube and runs down the center of the seat to underneath.

Are you saying that I can adjust it at the control lever rather than underneath the seat?

A pic would be very nice if you can do one.

Thanks
I wonder if we have the same seats. It's adjusted at the damper on mine. Here are the pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Seat.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	337.0 KB
ID:	245470   Click image for larger version

Name:	Knob.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	282.7 KB
ID:	245471  

Name:	Adjuster.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	283.5 KB
ID:	245472  
Old 05-10-2019, 12:27 PM   #5

Quote:
I wonder if we have the same seats. It's adjusted at the damper on mine. Here are the pics.
We do have the same seats, but I did not think to air it up before looking for the shock absorber. Now I see how to do it.

Thanks
Old 05-10-2019, 02:09 PM   #6

Went over to the coach and raised the seats. Easy to adjust but the cables had too much slack to take out. It barely moved. I moved it full threads each way to make sure I was doing it right. I might be able able to take it loose at the shock and put a wide nut on the threads so it will draw up. Any other ideas?
Old 05-10-2019, 08:21 PM   #7

Quote:
Went over to the coach and raised the seats. Easy to adjust but the cables had too much slack to take out. It barely moved. I moved it full threads each way to make sure I was doing it right. I might be able able to take it loose at the shock and put a wide nut on the threads so it will draw up. Any other ideas?
Only things I can think of is check if there is any adjustment on the lever end or maybe reroute the cable. I adjusted mine just until the lever on the shock started to move. In all honesty I didn't notice any huge difference after I got the slack out. Before adjustment I could move the lever a third of the way with no movement at the shock. Now as soon as I move the lever the shock adjuster moves.
Old 05-11-2019, 12:23 PM   #8

I know what the problem is. It is not at the adjustment end with the two nuts. Rather it is at the end where the dampener lever is. The lever is attached to the cable that runs through a sleeve but the sleeve is not attached to anything to hold it in place. I can see where it should attach but there is not room to make it fast without pulling the seat control cover off. When you move the lever up and down, the cable and the sleeve both move which accomplishes nothing. Both seats are the same. Whoever assembled them must have been in a hurry to get to the beer joint.

The picture shows two black wires. The one without writing on it is the sleeve and right under it is a hard plastic keeper where it should be attached with the cable running through it.

Another Freightliner warranty problem that should take an hour per seat but they will need the coach at least three days.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Damp3.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	230.6 KB
ID:	245596  
Old 06-05-2019, 02:18 PM   #9

How much does this dampener really help? I don't use the air seats because I bounce up and down too much. Any larger bump and I bottom out unless I put in a bunch of air, but then I'm higher than I want.

I move the little shock lever and it doesn't seem to do much.
Old 11-06-2019, 01:36 PM   #10

Renegade 2019 Verona LE

Experienced same issue as reported by other owners with the Air Ride seats,
found that the cable had come out of the control lever on side of seat. removed controller found that cable is secured using cable tie, best description that I can think is throttle cable fitted around the cam on your Briggs and Stratton lawn mower.when cable become non operational the damper fails giving the most damping, which you would think would prevent seat from bouncing when bladder in seat is aired up, unfortunately not the case. Called Local Freightliner Dealer they had no idea of the issue or update to the system, today called Freightliner factory spoke to Tech Rep also no listed complaints or bulletins addressing this condition. So for those who have given up on the bouncing ride and are relegated to driving with the seat deflated would recommend letting Freightline know of this condition. Will report to Renegade of this condition see what their answer will be.
If anyone else has found a solution would appreciate the input.
Did note a second mounting point for additional damper next to existing damper ,has anyone added another?
R1200gsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 07:38 AM   #11

Quote:

Tony,

I see a center console in your photo. Which one do you have? Do you like it?

Thanks

Ted
jestew3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 07:09 AM   #12

I do not have Facebook so can't read the posts there. Would someone explain what you guys are talking about? I know that I experience the same as Islblues. If I put enough air in mine to keep it from bottoming out I am way too high and I am looking at the sun visor. Is this adjustment so you can put more air but restrict the seat height?
Ram-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 03:09 AM   #13

I'm about to remove the swivels from my seats. That should lower the seat about 3 inches and keep my feet on the floor while having enough air to smooth out the ride,
Old 11-12-2019, 03:19 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jestew3 View Post
Tony,

I see a center console in your photo. Which one do you have? Do you like it?

Thanks

Ted
Your not going to believe this but I got that at Walmart.com for about 30 bucks. It just sits on the floor, no mounting required. Love it.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Auto-Drive...-Gray/36259986