Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRUCK CONVERSIONS, MDT's & HDT's FORUMS > Truck Conversions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-29-2012, 07:40 PM   #29

Official iRV2 Sponsor

With the class 8 trucks like the Columbia I have now and my first one is that the on road stability in any kind of weather is unparalleled. And there is a huge safety factor with the structure surrounding the driver & passenger. Showhauler took that a step further by integrating the motorhome sections frame with the trucks frame. A pusher is going to be much quieter, and you gain alot of room without that motor out front. These are decisions that will guide you in deciding which type is the right fit. Having owned both, I would not go back to a pusher. The craftsmanship that goes into the motorhome portion by Showhauler is amazing.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2012, 08:16 PM   #30

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
kudos to you for getting the right motorhome for your usage. We're definitely a few years away from a Showhauler or an Entegra Coach ... I was just wondering about the choice against the two as it looks like the price points, power and towing capabilities between those 2 options seem pretty similar.
2Labs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 08:36 PM   #31

I have heard Entegra makes very nice d/p's. My truck has a 40k lb trailer rating. I'm betting you won't be able to tow a 40k lb trailer with any d/p. Also, just because they say it's got 600 h/p, doesn't mean it's that powerful. I've been told they can say it's got a 600 h/p motor. But that's without the cooling fan. And a d/p needs to run a very powerful cooling fan. Which uses lots of h/p to turn. And, most of them use a hydraulic Allison transmission. There's some power loss there and more heat to get rid of. Most of the t/c's use a auto shift manual transmission with no torque converter. Much more efficient. Also, more gears to keep you in the power band. And working on the d/p's is nothing like a t/c. My mechanic way prefers my t/c over any d/p. And a happy mechanic is important. As well as less expensive. I don't get the extra per hour rv rate that you would with a d/p. I take mine to the nearby Kenworth dealer and they charge me the same rate as the trucks. Warpath told us the most important part. Safety. No comparison to a d/p there. Whole different league. D/p's are great. For sure the best rig for many people. Lots of reasons one might be better for you than a t/c. I've owned a class A gasser. And my t/c. I don't ever foresee getting a d/p.
Old 10-29-2012, 08:56 PM   #32

All good points Bob.

My last DP was a 2007 Tiffin Zephyr. 45', 500HP ISM, very fancy in side. After my short time in a TC (only about 3500 miles), I don't see my self going back. At this point I see my self upgrading from here to a Cascadia and finished out to fit my needs. The Dynamax will give me a great introduction to the world of TC's. I'll use this one for a year or two, figure out all the stuff I want on a new one, the have it built.

-Troy
Old 10-30-2012, 05:49 PM   #33

I sure dont miss my DP.
Old 11-01-2012, 02:27 PM   #34

Me neither.....
jtharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 05:13 PM   #35
TPW

Looking at New ShowHauler Need Advice

I am looking for input on a new ShowHauler. Actually there are 2 units. One a Cascadia,505 hp DD15 Detroit, 13 spd Eaton Ultra Shift and the other is a Coronado,565 hp DD15 Detroit, 13 spd Eaton Ultra Shift. Both have 4 slides and a 33'-35' box on them.

What is the difference in the Cascadia and Coronado in service and maintenance costs, cost of operation, millage, finding parts and accessories?

Will 505 hp be enough for these Virginia mountains and touring out west in the Rockies or would more be better or just over kill?

Is there a big difference in performance or are these two units pretty even and the norm for this type of unit and size?

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated. My camping experience started many years ago with tents and stopped with 28' travel trailer. I was in the market for a Motorcoach,bus style, but after seeing several accidents I think I will feel safer with a big motor up front and a steel cage in the back.

Thanks,
Tim
TPW is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome