Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRUCK CONVERSIONS, MDT's & HDT's FORUMS > Truck Conversions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 03-28-2012, 07:55 AM   #1

Official iRV2 Sponsor
New 2012 ShowHauler Motorhome

The third time is the charm! We just picked up our 2012 ShowHauler with 28' 6" box and this time we purchased a pre-built unit which was much different than the other two which we had custom built to our spec's. When we built the 2002 it was very early on in the whole conversion business and I was a greenhorn to Class 8 trucks. I was not a fan of the manual trannie and the horrible turning radius that truck had. On the 2004 we screwed up on the chassis and the motor was to small at 300 hp. That setup also rode light on the front axle and delivered a rough ride. Checked out a Vectra 40' pusher for 5 years which I liked the power of the 400 hp cummins and the ride was exceptional. Most recently had downsized to a 30' Class C which was great to maneuver, had good living space with 3 slides, but lacked that amazing road worthiness I had come to love in a conversion. So taking all this these great past ownership experiences and applying them to this unit we came up with a winner. The Columbia is an amazing chassis, love the cab ergonomics and the Mercedes motor which is so quiet and filled with all the power I could need is perfect for this application. Each trip I have come to like the UltraShift more and more as I run into various road types and conditions. Showhauler hit it out of the park as far as the conversion goes, love all of the updates they have made since our 2004 was built. The upper half sound deadening wall material makes the interior so quiet. No plexi dome over the shower gets 2 thumbs up in keeping it quiet at night when it rains. The duplex lighting system is first class and all of the big solid chunky wood trim I had come to love in the last units is still being used. I will highlight all aspects of this unit over the next few months either here and/or on my conversion blog MyTruckConversion

Here a re a few more details:

Chassis Info;

2008 New Pre-Emission Freightliner Columbia, MBE 4000-450 12.8L 450HP, Eaton Fuller 13 Speed Ultrashift Auto Transmission, 16000# Single Front Axle Upgrade, 23000# Quiet Ride Single Rear Axle, 325” Wheelbase, 170 Gallon Fuel Capacity.

Added Options;

Super Slide
2000 Watt Inverter
16' Weather Pro Awning 12v
Outside Sprayer
Rack & Ladder
Larger Shower
Open Entry Step
Heated Holding Tanks (2)
Remote Camera
4 - 6v Batteries i/p/o 12v
Create-a-Breeze Vent
Cab Cut Out
Satellite Ready Cable
32" LCD i/p/o 23"
TV with swing arm
Ultra Leather Upgrade, 2 Sofa's, Dinette, Cab Seats
Lexus Couch Upgrade
2nd Sofa
Both A/C Ducted
Recessed Counter Top

Coach Info; (Standard Options)

Exterior & Construction;

7' Standard slide
.063 Exterior Aluminum - White Standard
O/S Storage Compartments Fully Open & Lock w/Lights
Tubular Steel Floor Frame
All Steel Cage Construction (Welded)
1-7/8" Laminated Floor
All Walls, Floors, Ceilings Insulated
Electric Brake Control
40K Tag Hitch w/7 way Bargman Connector (6K Tongue Weight)
Lighted Grab Handle
50 Amp Rear Plug
(3) 27 x 42 Tinted Windows
(1) 27 X 42 Egress Tinted Window
Port Hole Windows in Bunk
(1) 15 x 20 Kitchen Tinted Window
Powder Coated Main Frame & Storage Box Frame
Porch Light
Electric Double Entry Step
Sewer Hose
19 Gallon LP Tank, Mounting & Hookup
Black & Grey Waste Tanks ( 72 gallon ea.)
Pressuized Water Fill
L.E.D Taillights/ Clearance lights
One Piece Metal Roof - 100% Walk On
100" Wide Body
Radius Entrance Door/w Screen, Deadbolt and shade
Fiberglass Motorhome Style Rear Cap

LP/CO & Smoke Detectors w/Fire Extinguisher
8 Cu. Ft. Refer w/Raised Panel Oak Door
1.6 Cu. Ft. Convection Microwave Oven/Fan
23" LCD TV in Bedroom
DVD Plaver
23" LCD TV in Main Area
360 degree TV Antenna w/ booster
AM/FM/CD w/(4) 7" Coaxial Speakers
12 Gallon Gas/Electric Water Heater
30,000 BTU Gas Furnace (ducted)
(2) 15,000 BTU LO PRO Roof Mount
A/C w/Heat Strip & Remote Thermostat
3 Burner Gas Cooktop w/ igniter

Interior & Dιcor;

Carpeted Floor Mats
Sofa Sleeper or Dinette that converts into a Bed
Plush Carpet w/Pad plus Carpet Runners
Window Treatment w/Pleated Day/Night Shades
Decorative Wood Valances
Decorative Pillows & Matching Quilt
Cab Pass-thru and Bunk Curtains
Oak Cabinets w/Raised Panel Oak Doors
Kitchenette w/Stainless Steel Double Basin Sink and Covers
Laminate Countertops w/Oak Bevel Edges and Blacksplash
Single Lever Faucet W/ Pull out Sprayer
Wardrobe Closet Lights
Queen Size - 60x80 Mattress
Bunk Ladder
Ceiling Either Fabric or Vinyl Board
Patterned Vinyl Wallboard
7' Interior Height
Oak and Mirrored Headboard or Window
Oak Magazine Rack - Wall Clock
Cabover Bunk 42"

Electrical Systems;

Deep Cycle (4) 12V Batteries W/ Manual Disconnect
8KW Generator - Onan Diesel
(5) Decorative Lights
(5) 110V Recepts w/Exterior GFI Recept
System Monitor, Water & Holding Tanks, LP Battery Levels
(2) Fantastic Vents
(7) Courtesy Lights
75 Amp Convertor w/50 Amp Service and adapter
Battery Separator
Multi-Plex Lighting System With Labeled Switches

Bath & Water;

Porcelain Toilet
100 Gallon Fresh Water Tank
12V On Demand Pump ( 5.3 GPM )
Water Heater By-Pass
Oak Medicine Cabinet w/Mirror
Lavatory w/Base Cabinet Storage
One Piece Fiberglass Shower W/ Glass Door
Bath Convenience Accessories
City Water Hookup
Fresh Water Fill
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-03-27_19-09-29_946.jpg
Views:	449
Size:	238.0 KB
ID:	19362   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_8079.jpg
Views:	463
Size:	290.5 KB
ID:	19363  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Fullscreen capture 2112012 103433 AM.jpg
Views:	346
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	19364   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_8080.jpg
Views:	601
Size:	221.6 KB
ID:	19365  

2012 Showhauler Legend 40' Conversion
Warpath is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2012, 08:06 AM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
She's a beauty. Enjoy it.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 08:15 AM   #3
Looks great, I love the looks of those things.
MN is home for now.
Bob86ZZ4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 06:13 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Looks nice Bill.

Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 06:39 PM   #5
Very nice.
Nothing like driving a t/c
Renegade Garage Unit
Ed S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 07:24 PM   #6

Official iRV2 Sponsor
Thank You boys! Got the mudflaps w/ chrome weights on tonight. Finally gonna spend the weekend in it and I can't wait.
Old 04-26-2012, 10:22 AM   #7
congrats....now start that customizing you do so well.....
Jim, MJ & Spirit Bear
2005 Prevost Royale, XLII
Jeep Wrangler Sahara...toad
jtharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 09:57 PM   #8
Very nice! I have been looking at Showhaulers every night for the last 6 months. Never owned an RV but really want to see the country. Saw my first Showhauler as well as a Renegade at the Florida RV show in January and was sold. I really enjoyed reading your blog. Learned alot and look forward to going back again.
ugavet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 03:59 PM   #9
My wife and I just picked up our 2012 Showhauler conversion from Boyd's conversions a couple of weeks ago. Drove back to VA from MS and have had one weekend in it at the Outer Banks and we absolutely love it! Feels very safe and stable while driving, and the workmanship is outstanding. We'd looked at Class A's also but kept coming back to the TC's the more we researched it. Couldn't be happier. Elisha and Bettee Boyd are great people and if we get another it will be from them. (Ours is on a used Volvo 630 chassis with Eaton autoshift 10-speed and Volvo 12L engine)
agreen88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 04:57 PM   #10

Official iRV2 Sponsor
agreen88 -

Congratulations on the new Showhauler! Took a look at your rig on Boyds site and it looks awesome. Are you going to keep it white? I was thinking we would get something done to it pretty quick, but everyone who see's it loves it all white. For now we will keep it white.

Pretty much have all of my upgrades completed, just have little things now that I will tweak over the season.
Old 05-07-2012, 05:45 PM   #11
Thanks! I've thought about maybe getting a graphics package but a full body paint job is too expensive. Like with you, everyone I show it too loves it as is. We've only been on the road a few days total and people already compliment us on it! One question for you: I can't seem to find the external water hookup - this is not the same as the freshwater tank fill is it? We've got 200 gal capacity so I'm not too worried about it but it seems odd.
Andy & Cindy
2013 Entegra Aspire
Old 05-07-2012, 06:43 PM   #12

Official iRV2 Sponsor
You coonect to the hose connection and flip the city fill valve (on the left) up and the potable valve in the off position. This will supply the rig with water from a hose hookup. Here is a shot of my bay with a bunch of mods

#1 – I added a separate access port for the fresh water hose keeping it away from the sewer area. This great access port opens large when deploying or retrieving the hose, a smaller opening to keep critters out when in use and locks up when not in use. Deluxe Round Cable Hatch only $10.89
#2 – This easy to install hand crank manual hose reel keeps your hose nice and tidy. Simply mount it to the floor of the sewer bay and attach the city water line and your done. No power required, spools out easy and reels in quick. The Shoreline Hand Crank Fresh Water Hose Reel includes 34′ Hose and runs $132.60
#3 – With the space I gained with the hose reel I am able to store my Sidewinder Plastic Sewer Hose Support which I love. It has a nice deep cradle so the hose does not fall off when you pull the dump handles. Comes in 10, 15 & 20′ lengths, I use the 20. You just never know when you’re going to have long run. Sidewinder Plastic Sewer Hose Support
#4 – This is my gray water flush valve that I added and used a No Fuss Flush fitting into the tank. A little trick, the tiny pin holes that are in the no fuss flush are to small to allow for a decent amount of water to be used to flush the tank. I drilled all of the end holes out with a slightly larger drill allowing for faster flush and still maintain the blasting power. The Valterra No Fuss Flush Tank Rinse is $22.16
#5 – Of course like every RV this one has the 1/3, 2/3, full, tank gauges which are basically worthless in really letting you know how much capacity you have left. So I added the Seelevel tank monitoring system, the nice feature with the 709 series is that you can use the existing wiring that is already running to your tanks. This also makes is easy to add a second monitor to the sewer bay were you need it most of the time without running additional wires from the fresh tank. There are many different configurations to choose from. Seelevel RV Tank Monitoring Gauges
#6 – Although this fitting came with the sewer kit I use we do offer it for use with other sewer hoses. Nice and easy to get a sealed secure fit to threaded sewer connections. Rhinoflex Sewer Hose Elbow is $11.43
#7 – I have tried alot of different sewer hoses and have settled on the RHinoFlex setup. Love that it accordions in and out staying put. Rhinoflex Sewer Hose Kit
#8 – Black water rinse valve and the same setup as #4
#9 – These are my city and fresh water tank valve which were installed by Showhauler.
#10 – This was basically the only feature installed by Showhauler in this sewer bay and I love it! It is a pressurized hose to rinse down the bay if there is a bit of a spill or spray out the sewer hose and clean up the fittings. We does sell a coiled hose similar to this and I used it for my fresh water connection hose last year. Valterra EZ Coil-N-Store Drinking Water Hose
Old 05-07-2012, 07:18 PM   #13
Thanks! I will check it out this weekend!
Andy & Cindy
2013 Entegra Aspire
Old 05-12-2012, 04:41 AM   #14
Monaco Owners Club
Very nice.

Tony, Nancy & Abby the pooch 2011 40'Monaco Knight PDQ Maxxforce 10 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
AGP is offline   Reply With Quote