Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRUCK CONVERSIONS, MDT's & HDT's FORUMS > Truck Conversions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-26-2010, 09:11 PM   #1
Junior Member
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1
New guy needs advice

Hi to all
well here i go i have a 96 ford aeromax single axel tractor that i would like to use for pulling a fifth wheel rv thats all so my question is what is the best way to register and insure it. at this time im in california and looking to use it to escape to arizona ( california can slide into the sea for all i care ) buy the way the truck has a single sleeper and it tips the scales at 15.800 lbs I have a cdl so thats no problem i just dont want to spend money on insurance that i dont need.

aeromax is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2010, 06:37 AM   #2
Senior Member
Bob86ZZ4's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: St. Paul, MN
Posts: 389
Hi Aeromax. Welcome to irv2.com. There is a rally coming up of fellow hdt rv'ers: www.hdtrally.com You should come there! I'll be there. I'll take a very un-educated guess at your question. I think you would be able to license the truck as a private truck according to weight. That's the way MN does it anyhow. You shouldn't need an apportioned plate as semi tractors do that are involved in commerce. I'd guess the gvwr of the tractor is somewhere around 33k lbs? So you'd get plates for that. I don't think you need commercial insurance if you're only using it for private recreational use. No commerce. Hope to see you at the hdt rally. Come say "hi" to me. I think I might be easy to spot since I'll probably be the only truck conversion there.
MN is home for now.
Bob86ZZ4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New to everything, looking for advice! Melrose Expandables, Hybrids, & Lightweights Discussion 17 05-01-2011 08:55 PM
Thanks for advice; more questions 2dreamers Class C Motorhome Discussions 3 10-17-2010 11:26 AM
New guy! PlayItForwrd New Member Check-In 15 08-25-2010 04:33 PM
Need Advice DiDo 5th Wheel Discussion 24 05-17-2010 10:42 AM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:35 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.