Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Renegade Motorhome Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-19-2018, 12:20 PM   #1

New Renegade Valencia and Build 5 Fabrication console wiring

Hi all,

I am the new owner of a 2018 Renegade Valencia built on the S2RV Freightliner chassis. I purchased a console for my cabin from Build 5 Fabrication, but am having difficulty with the wiring. The wiring instructions contained with the shipment show what is obviously not a Valencia, and the engine compartment looks quite different. The instructions recommend attaching to the battery terminal posts over the driver side wheel well, for 12V power; the problem is, I see nothing in my engine compartment which looks like a battery terminal. I've looked at pictures of older Freightliners, and can see the terminals just where the instructions say. Does anyone know where I could attach my power wire to in my particular RV? The owner at Build 5 Fabrication hasn't seen a S2RV yet, so he wasn't able to help.
jkwmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2018, 10:48 AM   #2

Please read my reply here:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f18/reneg...ml#post4101280
Ziggy8321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 02:15 PM   #3

The ScanGauge takes power from the OBD port, I believe; the problem I'm having is powering the console. The Build 5 Fabrication console comes in two flavors: wired/unwired. I purchased the wired one, so I can have more accessory USB charging ports; the wiring requires a source of 12V power. I guess I could use the cigarette lighter to power the console, but would prefer to hard wire it. Do you know of any sources of 12V power in the engine compartment of a Valencia?, if you do, could you send pictures?
Thanks for responding!
Old 03-24-2018, 06:35 PM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
Why do you have to take power from the engine compartment, can't you take power from behind the dash?
Rotis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 08:49 AM   #5

I'm sure you can, but being new to this, I don't know where to look. I was just following the only instruction, (with pictures), I have, (from Build 5 Fabrication), but they aren't showing my particular unit. Do you have any advice? It would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-25-2018, 08:58 AM   #6

Find the cigarette lighter wire behind the dash and tie into that. Just make sure it has no power with the ignition off.. You don't want the scanguage to be on 24/7.

It doesn't take much juice to run so you can take the power from just about any 12 volt ignition driven hot wire. Radio hot wire for example.

Frank
Old 03-25-2018, 09:29 AM   #7

Frank & JKWMD, if I understand correctly, it's not the scan gauge power (supplied via ODBII port) but the console power that requires a bit more than a normal 12v take-off. The console has 4 USB 2A ports and 1-2 cigarette lighter/power outlet ports.

For the short term, the adapter I suggested or any other 12v behind the dash would work, but in case he wants full utilization, he will need a 4-12a source.

JKWMD, look for your fuse boxes under the hood. You should see 1-2 thick wires coming to it. The red one is the power you can tap into for full power.

If you take a ferw pics of you under hood set-up, I or someone else can find you a source that would work.
Ziggy8321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 11:58 AM   #8

Thank you so much; I'll take a look later, and let you know how it goes.
Old 03-25-2018, 08:13 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkwmd View Post
Thank you so much; I'll take a look later, and let you know how it goes.

I ordered this kit today... how did it go for you? Did you get it installed and powered up? Mine should be here next week.

Thanks!
TwinSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 03:49 AM   #10

I won't have time to try the install until later in the week, or weekend - I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 03-26-2018, 08:13 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkwmd View Post
I won't have time to try the install until later in the week, or weekend - I'll let you know how it goes.
Sounds good... mine will arrive sometime this week. I have a service appt tomorrow and I am going to ask them about the install at that time as well.
Old 03-28-2018, 07:07 PM   #12

I tried the console wiring today, but there are several bundles of wires going to several fuse boxes; each bundle has many colored wires, and red is the most common color. Unless someone can show me in pictures where to splice in, I'm giving up for now.
Old 04-02-2018, 09:18 AM   #13

If you ever get the wiring figured out, please share. We just completed a 10 day 2500 mile trip and having a fully functional Build 5 console would have been appreciated.

Does it fill the space between the seats nicely, i.e. is the cab of the S2RV similar to the M2? Also, how does it stay in place - simply due to its weight?
BerryS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 04:01 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerryS View Post
Does it fill the space between the seats nicely, i.e. is the cab of the S2RV similar to the M2? Also, how does it stay in place - simply due to its weight?
The Cabs of the M2 and S2RV are similar, and the Console can fit nicely. They Recommend that you attach to the floor with self tapping screws. It is fairly heavy, and would stay in place temporarily, but if you do wire it up, you would want to attach to floor.

I plan to install this very soon in my Valencia... and am working with a Local RV Tech and Freightliner Custom Chassis Center on how/where to wire it. Hopefully we'll get a good (Safe) answer soon!

Tags
cat, wiring