Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRUCK CONVERSIONS, MDT's & HDT's FORUMS > Truck Conversions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 10-01-2007, 05:47 PM   #1
Does anyone have any input on a comparison of Renegade, Super Nova, Dynamax or any other truck type rvs? We are leaving the boating world and now decided to get an rv. We love the look and quality of what we have seen in these rvs but wonder about upkeep as far as maintenance on the engine. Also any comparison info on how the engines run, like loud, rough, good, bad pertaining to International, Volvo, Mercedes, Cummins, etc?

Jaynee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-02-2007, 01:58 PM   #2
I've been in a Renegade and was impressed by the layout of the floorplan. We have a 31' Class A currently and will be buying a super class c in a couple years. As far as engine maintenance, recommended service intervals are around 15,000 miles and go up to 25,000 miles.

Super Class C 4 Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 07:11 PM   #3
Renegade & a couple of others use FRP sides (fiberglass reinforced plywood) which makes for a nice appearing smooth exterior. The down side (IMO)is - very little structure compared to a square tubing & aluminum skinned design (such as Show Hauler & some others). Also, they don't leave room for very much insulation with the FRP type construction.
As far as drive trains, - The Mercedes is supposed to be one of the most fuel efficient engines. I've got a 450hp MB coupled to a 10 speed Eaton auto shift & get aprox 12 mpg - interstate driving - 70 mph with full sized pickup in tow.
Most class 8 drivelines warranty's are 500K miles or 7 years. Trucks are easier to work on than pusher class A's & truck dealers are usually more plentyful should you need service or repairs.
07 Hawk Conversion, Freightliner, 450MB, 10spd Eaton autoshift
BOB E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 06:18 PM   #4
To Super Class c 4 me....tell me why are you leaving the class a and going to the c? Is it floorplan, exterior, what? I would like to know specifically the pros and cons of the a.

And for Bob E, first beautiful rig, and also can you give me any input comparing the international with the duramax? Pros cons? We test drove a 40' Super Nova today with the bunks...this is the layout I have been waiting for. But the ride. If you go to the back, you better hang on, it's a bumpy one. I am worried about everything giggling out of the walls in time. The Seneka has the Duramax. Smoother ride, but not as nice and quality on the inside. Which should I worry about more, engine, ride, inside?
Jaynee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 07:29 PM   #5
After we narrowed it down to a HD truck conversion, we toured 4 factories to see how they are built. I'd recommend doing this.
gsxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 10:20 AM   #6
Jaynee, The Renegade, Super Nova and Dynamax are 3 different types. The Renegade is the most popular of the truck conversions. The Super Nova is on a smaller chassis and built like some other class c's. The Super Novas I have seen are probably under powered if you were to compare with the Dynamax and Renegade, also make sure the rear suspension is air ride. The Dynamax is a higher end unit and are very nice.

As gsxr6 says- visit the factories- you will not regret the time spent.

I can only speak about the class 8 conversions- Haulamark, United Specialties, Showhauler and Renegade. The power is awesome, the ride is very stable, and build quality is excellent. Probably one of the best aspects is the unbelievable resale value.

The most popular engine is the 450 HP Mercedes- quiet, reliable and trouble free. The newer 12 or 13 speed automated transmissions are a dream to drive- especially in the hills. The Volvo engine is nearly as quiet as the Mercedes, but the new Volvo I-shift is the best yet- hands down.

Good Luck- once you drive one you will be hooked!

'08 Renegade, Volvo VN, 485HP Volvo D-13, 12 Speed I-Shift

30' Stacker Trailer
rjdhomes is offline   Reply With Quote