Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRUCK CONVERSIONS, MDT's & HDT's FORUMS > Truck Conversions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-12-2018, 10:18 AM   #1

New Valencia Owner - Questions

Greetings! We are proud new owners of a 2018 Valencia BB. Took delivery this past Friday and did a weekend shakedown run. Noticed a few things but since we're coming from a Sprinter-based B+ we're not sure if they're normal or not:

1) Whenever we touch the thermostat controls and the display energizes, there is a noticeable high-pitch electronic whine

2) Couldn't get the slide to extend in the parking lot, but worked flawlessly on shore power. Do the slides require shore/generator power?

3) Occasional moaning/vibration in the steering. Indeed, almost a grinding noise. Happens only during steering inputs and even at speed on the highway

4) Loud banging noise coming from the vent parallel with the microwave during wind gusts - We're pretty sure it's not the dryer vent.

Overall we're quite pleased with the fit and finish of the vehicle. Looking forward to making numerous vacation memories!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6681.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	329.7 KB
ID:	195336  

BerryS is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2018, 07:42 AM   #2

I don't have a Valencia we have the Verona but the systems should be close.

1 - never had this happen in almost a year of ownership.

2 - We usually start the generator to extend/retract but I think we have done it without power a few times , it should work with just battery power.

3 - never had this... you should have freightliner look at it.

4 - we used to hear this alot in the old rig, but I can honestly say I have never heard the vent flap in the new rig. Might get this checked out also.

Enjoy, hopefully someone else with a valencia will chime in.

deputybubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 12:27 PM   #3

As deputybubba said, the slide just works whether on battery or plugged in, at least on our Verona.

The vent flap WILL make knocking noise if NOT locked. It's hard to lock and unlock.
Ziggy8321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 01:03 PM   #4

We extend and retract the slides on our Explorer with or without shore power but I always have the inverter on. That MIGHT be the key.
Frank Tamez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 09:28 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerryS View Post
Greetings! We are proud new owners of a 2018 Valencia BB. Took delivery this past Friday and did a weekend shakedown run. Noticed a few things but since we're coming from a Sprinter-based B+ we're not sure if they're normal or not:

1) Whenever we touch the thermostat controls and the display energizes, there is a noticeable high-pitch electronic whine

2) Couldn't get the slide to extend in the parking lot, but worked flawlessly on shore power. Do the slides require shore/generator power?

3) Occasional moaning/vibration in the steering. Indeed, almost a grinding noise. Happens only during steering inputs and even at speed on the highway

4) Loud banging noise coming from the vent parallel with the microwave during wind gusts - We're pretty sure it's not the dryer vent.

Overall we're quite pleased with the fit and finish of the vehicle. Looking forward to making numerous vacation memories!
Hello! We are new owners of a Valencia as well!
1) ours does not do that so I would have it checked!

2) We were told in our PDI to not deploy the slides unless we are on shore power or generator. It is too much of a drain on the battery.

3)Could it be the noise from your air system that puts air in the rear of the coach...I’m sorry I don’t know what it’s called really but when we were test driving we noticed loud noise at some point and we were told that occasionally the air compressor will activate to add air. It is loud when it does it.

4) As someone else stated, it is your vent on the outside of your vent hood for microwave/convection oven. It needs to be locked before you hit the road or the or the noise is aggravating!

Good luck! Hope it helps!
Melntb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 09:48 AM   #6

Many thanks to the kind and informative replies. We just completed a 2500+ mile maiden voyage and are overall quite pleased with our Valencia:

On a 10 day trip it housed 4 adults, one child + dog in total comfort. We left in below-freezing temps and arrived to 7 degree weather. The HVAC system never strained to keep us comfortable and we appreciated the huge propane capacity/water tanks/10 gallon DEF/sleeping arrangements/residential fridge. Especially coming from a Leisure Van Serenity (class B+).

HVAC controls still hum when powering up, but worked flawlessly. Steering "growling" we were told by our dealer that it's normal. The banging noise was indeed the vent and was easily secured. Slide operation I believe was the key being in ignition - safety lockout. Nevertheless they worked perfectly.

Couple of issues we did notice:

Water pump cycles every 3-4 minutes when no water demand - does this mean we have a leak? No obvious sources during inspection.

Had to reset the inverter twice. I'm guessing we somehow exceeded demand and tripped a breaker?

Drain water from shower bubbled back up into our kitchen sink when we dumped a lot of water all at once? Normal? Grey tanks were totally empty at the time.

Equalizer System levelers alarm and all led's beep even after everything retracted? Visually confirmed everything was done raising. Alarms stopped after short period of time after driving off.
Old 04-02-2018, 03:52 PM   #7

Quote:

Equalizer System levelers alarm and all led's beep even after everything retracted? Visually confirmed everything was done raising. Alarms stopped after short period of time after driving off.
Mine does this as well... even while driving down the road! It is random and Renegade KNOWS its a concern. It is annoying, I will agree. I have been hitting the "Retract" button when this happens (While Driving), and have expressed some deep concern to our dealer on this.
TwinSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 06:01 PM   #8

Oops, meant to say we arrived to 70 degree weather.

Regarding the levelers, good to know mine isn’t an isolated experience. I read on another forum that if the levelers have been retracted for a while it’s not unusual for them to “drift” downward a bit necessitating an auto retract button push. However, our scenario is the opposite in that the levelers have actually been deployed for a prolonged period of time. So no there shouldn’t be any “drift.”
Old 04-02-2018, 06:10 PM   #9

Quote:
Regarding the levelers, good to know mine isn’t an isolated experience. I read on another forum that if the levelers have been retracted for a while it’s not unusual for them to “drift” downward a bit necessitating an auto retract button push. However, our scenario is the opposite in that the levelers have actually been deployed for a prolonged period of time. So no there shouldn’t be any “drift.”
They dont usually drift... I had a stretch where every 5 mins of driving for nearly an hour the alarm would go off... Then, it stopped for the better part of 2 days. Then, it started again...

So, we'll see what Renegade has as a fix.
Old 04-02-2018, 06:58 PM   #10

I have experienced the "drift" when the rig has been parked for an extended period of time. I just hit retract all and shortly after no issues.
mooseknuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 10:07 PM   #11

Jayco Owners Club
Y'all might want to check the hydraulic fluid level for the levelers. Also, some have a micro-switch that is contacted to signal all up. It might not be making it all the way and need some adjustment.
WaltW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 06:27 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltW View Post
Y'all might want to check the hydraulic fluid level for the levelers. Also, some have a micro-switch that is contacted to signal all up. It might not be making it all the way and need some adjustment.
The "switch" position was a recommendation from the dealer... however, In my opinion, too many units are experiencing this concern for it to be a switch adjustment. But, I am wrong at least 1x per day! I may take a trip up to the factory and see what they say. It is not that far of a drive for me.

Happy Trails!
Old 04-04-2018, 10:33 PM   #13

We have had the same issue of the levelers alarm going off every 5-10 minutes going down the road. We had our local motorhome guy check the fluid levels and they were fine. We called the manufacturer of the leveling system and the technician said it sounded like air in the lines. He told us a procedure to do to try and bleed the air out the lines. We will try it this week to see if the issue resolves.
Melntb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 07:09 AM   #14
Official iRV2 Sponsor

Definitely sounds like air in the line.

So the here is the purge process.
1. Retract the jacks all the way
2. Check reservoir tank and make sure the fluid level is 1” from the top of the tank. If it is not add fluid. ( Dexron Automatic transmission fluid)
3. Hit auto level
4. Press and hold the down part of the arrow for the front jacks till the jacks raise the front of the coach off the ground and you hear the hydraulic pump change pitch.
5. Press and hold the down part of the arrow for the rear jacks till the jacks raise the rear of the coach off the ground and you hear the hydraulic pump change pitch.
6. Wait 15 minutes
7. Press all retract
8. Wait 15 minutes
9. Repeat steps 3 through 8 two more times.

EQSystems is offline   Reply With Quote