Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRUCK CONVERSIONS, MDT's & HDT's FORUMS > Truck Conversions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-02-2015, 09:38 AM   #15

Thumbs up

Hello BeerLover80,
I'm afraid that would be a good profile name for me also.
We are on our second Renegade.
If this is to be your first motorhome, I think I would recommend the Outlaw. I started with a Tioga class C, (in 1983), had two class A Monacos, then a Born Free class C, and two Renegades, so I'm not familiar with Thor. The maneuverability factor is what I would base that opinion on. Most class A's are quite a bit easier to move around tight spaces, and both my rigs had extra height, so they were taller than most motorhomes. (My current rig, in the picture, is 13'6" at the A/Cs.)
That being said, driving the Columbia chassis is an absolute dream. Lots of power for hills and it really eats up the highway miles. The Renegade interiors are very high quality.
So.....if you want to go for the Renegade, maybe one of the shorter models on the Business (112?) chassis might be just your thing. You definitely can't go wrong with a Renegade.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2015, 03:01 PM   #16

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks for the response. We're leaning towards the Outlaw, mainly due to the price tag. The $300,000 MSRP of a Renegade (while superior) is a little too rich for my blood right now.

Old 06-03-2015, 03:56 PM   #17

BL80, if you are set on new then yes price is high for a TC. However used TC's can be found for a lot less. Look over at Race, Drag cars, Trailers and Engines for sale | RacingJunk Classifieds and you will see a lot of Renegades (and others) that may fit your budget.
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 05:28 PM   #18

I'd look at used units. Huge savings. And I wouldn't limit it to Renegade. There are lots of other Truck Conversion builders that make great rigs. I'd much rather have a used rig built on a Class 8 chassis than a new unit built on a Class 5 or 6 chassis. Besides Racing Junk there are lots of other places to look.
Old 06-09-2015, 09:48 AM   #19
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerLover80 View Post
Thanks for the response. We're leaning towards the Outlaw, mainly due to the price tag. The $300,000 MSRP of a Renegade (while superior) is a little too rich for my blood right now.
WOW! That's an Apples to Watermelon comparison

Our Outlaw is a wonderfully versatile Class A, but shares very little in common with most HDT Conversions.

I asked a Showhauler salesman why there were not more Toy Hauler's in their model line-up...he said, there was no need for the toys to be inside the coach, because these Truck Conversions could tow a stacker full of toys with little effort.

If you pick getting an Outlaw, owners congregate here:
I love my Thor | Damon Outlaw!

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 09:31 AM   #20

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
WOW! That's an Apples to Watermelon comparison

Our Outlaw is a wonderfully versatile Class A, but shares very little in common with most HDT Conversions.

I asked a Showhauler salesman why there were not more Toy Hauler's in their model line-up...he said, there was no need for the toys to be inside the coach, because these Truck Conversions could tow a stacker full of toys with little effort.

If you pick getting an Outlaw, owners congregate here:
I love my Thor | Damon Outlaw!

Best luck
Yeah, there is a HUGE difference between the two...I'm just trying to wrap my head around the pro's and con's. But doesn't really matter anymore...DW (a.k.a. CINC-HOUSE) said we're getting an Outlaw and should just stop looking at other models (which I'm fine with).
Old 06-12-2015, 01:53 PM   #21

Are you getting a Outlaw for the garage? How big of a garage do you need? Here's a pretty nice looking Truck Conversion with a garage: HAULMARK 20 GARAGE 2007 in Connersville Indianapolis South Columbus | IN | Racing RVs | AGEUNT
Old 06-12-2015, 01:55 PM   #22

Here's another nice looking garage unit: RENEGADE GARAGE UNIT 2006 in Connersville Indianapolis South Columbus | IN | Racing RVs | EGARLG
Old 06-12-2015, 01:57 PM   #23

There are lots of garage units available. You just need to know where to look. If you're needing a garage you should go take some of these for a test drive and see what you think. Truck Conversions are so much different than a Class A. Aren't the Outlaws built on a Class A F53 Ford chassis? Really no comparison in my mind.
Old 06-12-2015, 01:59 PM   #24

Eldorado Trailer Sales has a bunch of garage units too, but they don't show pricing on their web site. Ed got his there and I think he is happy with them.
Old 06-19-2015, 12:38 PM   #25
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerLover80 View Post
Yeah, there is a HUGE difference between the two...I'm just trying to wrap my head around the pro's and con's. But doesn't really matter anymore...DW (a.k.a. CINC-HOUSE) said we're getting an Outlaw and should just stop looking at other models (which I'm fine with).
Congrats on the decision. As they say, "Happy Wife, Happy Life".

Now the fun starts...
New or used?
Class C (29H - Ford E450), Class Super C (35SG - Ford F550), or Class A?
For Class A, dedicated bedroom (37MD or new 37RB) or just the loft (3611, 3612, 3808, 37LS)?
For Class A used...Workhorse (8.1L/Allison), Ford (6.8L V10/5speed) or the rather rare Freightliner/Cummins ( 6.7L Front Engine/Allison) Diesel chassis?

Best luck
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 09-03-2015, 07:43 AM   #26

Greetings,

If you have questions about Renegade motor coaches, perhaps I can help? I own a 2015 Classic Sportsman, a beefy 30 footer designed for an active lifestyle, wild camping and touring back roads as well as freeways. It is built on a Freightliner M2 chassis.

Regarding discussion of Renegade vs. Outlaw, there is no comparison in terms of chassis, gas/diesel, air ride and build quality. Apples and oranges. Yes, Renegades are a bigger investment, but you absolutely get a luxury product that you will enjoy for years and years.

The place to shop and buy Renegades is: IWS Motor Coaches | RVs, Trailers, and Luxury Motor Coaches for Sale
They do it right and no hidden up charges, the price is the price.
Old 09-03-2015, 09:45 AM   #27
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Renegade1

Hope you share all about your Renegade.

Safe travels
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 10-20-2015, 04:43 PM   #28

I just traded my 2008 Monaco (400) for my new baby a 2014 IKON. The difference is 'wow'. I live in the mountains of WY close to Jackson Hole so we are seldom on non-hilly roads and when we go East or West it's usually on I80 which is a continual climb/descend. The 600 hp is incredible and the stability of the Cascadia in corners and wind makes driving almost easy. I can set the cruise and it only varies maybe 5mph until a very long climb. The 2 complaints. One that is probably strange to most. All the modern coaches have gone to residential appliances and our GE Profile fridge is beautiful and world class. However I'd like to have my double door multi fuel fridge back so it would automatically switch to gas. I don't even have gas onboard. True boondocking or sitting a couple days to get loaded requires regular generator use. 2. I miss my true king size bed (66" in Renegade).
The quality of build is very good and interior beauty surprises everyone.

tetonhawk is offline   Reply With Quote