Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Renegade Motorhome Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-24-2019, 09:08 AM   #1

Renegade RV Holding Tank Sensors

Has anyone installed the Garnet SeeLeveL sensors on their coach holding tanks with the Firefly multiplex monitor that Renegade is using? Is it possible? Plug & Play?

The SeeLeveL sensors read in actual percent and not the 33-67-Full baloney we have now. Very disappointed that we still have the notoriously inaccurate in tank sensors that are prone to fouling and erroneous readings.
tdeperte is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2019, 10:12 AM   #2

My Verona is the last discreet circuit year. I have the miniature push button that lite some bulbs showing levels. The switches are intermittent and I am considering the Sea Level system as well and curious if anyone has changed as well.

Not trying to hi-jack your thread.
Ziggy8321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 10:50 AM   #3

While Renegade shopping, I looked at fresh water tanks under many different beds. All of these "inspections" were in either 2018 or 2019 models. In all cases, I "believe" I saw the traditional 4-point probe system. ("believe" is important here because it's sometimes easy to see what you expect, rather than what is actually there!)

If I saw exactly what I think I saw, these probe systems are always "disceet", giving at most "emtpy, 1/3, 2/3, or full" readings. I wondered how in the world the discrete probe system would ever be able to be used in the 2019 "continuous" display mode. It was a question that I wanted to ask, but never found time given so many other seemingly more important issues to understand. So, please correct me here if I'm wrong about any of this.

Because I'm waiting for my first Renegade, I can't answer the original question completely. However, I have used SeeLevel gauges to replace 4-point probe systems in other RVs. From that experience, I know they can use the same wiring used by the 4-point probe system and I know they work great!!! (I even went to the trouble to check accuracy by systematically draining a 70 gal fresh water tank into a "calibrated" 5 gallon bucket, one bucket at a time. I found the continuous display matched tank percentages very, very closely from full all the way to empty.)

Because SeeLevel gauges can use existing 4-point probe wiring, and because there is already an firefly interface for the 4-point probe wiring, I believe there is a very good chance that SeeLevel gauges would be easy to connect. Obviously, I can't verify any of this until my Verona arrives. What I would be most concerned with is access to gray and black tanks in order to install the SeeLevel sensors (access to fresh tanks is easy). It is an upgrade that I would be likely to do provided access to gray and black tanks is not too difficult. So, I will be watching this thread.
Old 03-24-2019, 02:33 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcgettinby View Post
While Renegade shopping, I looked at fresh water tanks under many different beds. All of these "inspections" were in either 2018 or 2019 models. In all cases, I "believe" I saw the traditional 4-point probe system. ("believe" is important here because it's sometimes easy to see what you expect, rather than what is actually there!)

If I saw exactly what I think I saw, these probe systems are always "disceet", giving at most "emtpy, 1/3, 2/3, or full" readings. I wondered how in the world the discrete probe system would ever be able to be used in the 2019 "continuous" display mode. It was a question that I wanted to ask, but never found time given so many other seemingly more important issues to understand. So, please correct me here if I'm wrong about any of this.

Because I'm waiting for my first Renegade, I can't answer the original question completely. However, I have used SeeLevel gauges to replace 4-point probe systems in other RVs. From that experience, I know they can use the same wiring used by the 4-point probe system and I know they work great!!! (I even went to the trouble to check accuracy by systematically draining a 70 gal fresh water tank into a "calibrated" 5 gallon bucket, one bucket at a time. I found the continuous display matched tank percentages very, very closely from full all the way to empty.)

Because SeeLevel gauges can use existing 4-point probe wiring, and because there is already an firefly interface for the 4-point probe wiring, I believe there is a very good chance that SeeLevel gauges would be easy to connect. Obviously, I can't verify any of this until my Verona arrives. What I would be most concerned with is access to gray and black tanks in order to install the SeeLevel sensors (access to fresh tanks is easy). It is an upgrade that I would be likely to do provided access to gray and black tanks is not too difficult. So, I will be watching this thread.
Yes please keep this thread updated.. I too would love to replace the standard setup
deputybubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 02:11 AM   #5

Firefly says they would have to write an integration for seelevel sensors and wants $1100. I’m buying the seelevel 759 marine version with Bluetooth.
lslblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 06:58 AM   #6

It's really too bad that an interface between Firefly and SeeLevel is required. Even worse, the cost of the interface is more than most (or anyone???) would be willing to pay.

FWIW, one could simply use the SeeLevel system with the SeeLevel monitor completely independent of the Firefly system. This shouldn't be too hard given that the SeeLevel monitor can use the wiring from the existing "sensors".

Another option: Get your 12 yo grandkid to hack Firefly for some cookies and milk - hah!
Old 04-01-2019, 09:35 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcgettinby View Post
It's really too bad that an interface between Firefly and SeeLevel is required. Even worse, the cost of the interface is more than most (or anyone???) would be willing to pay.

FWIW, one could simply use the SeeLevel system with the SeeLevel monitor completely independent of the Firefly system. This shouldn't be too hard given that the SeeLevel monitor can use the wiring from the existing "sensors".

Another option: Get your 12 yo grandkid to hack Firefly for some cookies and milk - hah!
That's what I will do down the road, just use a SeeLevel system and monitor independently of the Firefly system. There's a lot to like about the Firefly system, the holding tank monitor is not one of them. Nor is their outrageous charges for any programming changes. I inquired about a wireless switch from Firefly to put in the basement to control the cargo lights and water pump. It would be the same switch like the wireless one on an interior slideout wall. Cost? $800. Most of that is for programming.
Old 04-12-2019, 08:37 AM   #8

Finally got the See Level installed. For the moment, I haven't permanently attached the sensors, I just taped them in place to test but the control panel (per the photo) is installed and finished as well as the wiring for everything.

So far all has tested as it should. Will make the sensors permanent tomorrow.

The install went easier than expected. It did take a few tries to figure out how Renegade wired their sensors since they spliced different colored wires in at places and was a bit confusing for about 30 minutes.

The final job looks like it came from the factory like this (are you looking Renegade?)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	See Level Installed.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	183.2 KB
ID:	241673  
Old 04-12-2019, 08:42 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy8321 View Post
Finally got the See Level installed. For the moment, I haven't permanently attached the sensors, I just taped them in place to test but the control panel (per the photo) is installed and finished as well as the wiring for everything.

So far all has tested as it should. Will make the sensors permanent tomorrow.

The install went easier than expected. It did take a few tries to figure out how Renegade wired their sensors since they spliced different colored wires in at places and was a bit confusing for about 30 minutes.

The final job looks like it came from the factory like this (are you looking Renegade?)
Very nice ziggy!! Thanks for the follow up..
How much was the Guage itself?.. If you don't mind me asking..
Thanks
deputybubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 08:53 AM   #10

I bought it from RVupgrades.com and paid $182 with free shipping BUT, you need to call to place the order because you need to substitute one 16" (SS model) for one of the 12" standard sensors which is a $15 upcharge for the $182 total.

If you do call them please say hello to Ambur (She is the face of the company and will take the orders). When I first ordered from them I had some concerns about their being real. Had a bit of trouble on the order and they are a "stand up" company and I will use them for whatever I can now.
Old 04-12-2019, 09:18 AM   #11

Paul... Very nice job. Thanks for sharing. Is the system you installed the one that has bluetooth and an app for your phone? Seems like that was only available on the "marine" system without the LP? I really want the BT system so that I can install the control panel in the wet bay and still see "real aka more accurate" tank levels on my phone while in the coach. My last trip to Orlando we dry camped for 8 days and the sensor system in my Verona LE is horrible. At least we could easily lift the bed each day and see exactly how much Fresh water we had remaining. Thanks again for sharing.
Doug Darby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 09:41 AM   #12

Doug,

This is the basic 709-1003 system without Bluetooth.

I do have to ask, why do you want a level gauge in the wet bay? When the water tank overflows, it's full and I never patrtially dump, so to my poor logic, why spend the money for Bluetooth? What am I missing?

One other thought, wouldn't it be about the same price to use 2 monitors on the basic system as opposed to Bluetooth?

I have found over the years (I'm 76) that once I get an idea of what I want to do, it's hard for me to see other options.

No disrespect intended
Old 04-12-2019, 10:06 AM   #13

Just to clarify, this won't work on the 2019's with the Firefly multiplex wiring system without expensive programming from Firefly. Other than that, nice upgrade!
Old 04-13-2019, 07:31 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy8321 View Post
Doug,

This is the basic 709-1003 system without Bluetooth.

I do have to ask, why do you want a level gauge in the wet bay? When the water tank overflows, it's full and I never patrtially dump, so to my poor logic, why spend the money for Bluetooth? What am I missing?

One other thought, wouldn't it be about the same price to use 2 monitors on the basic system as opposed to Bluetooth?

I have found over the years (I'm 76) that once I get an idea of what I want to do, it's hard for me to see other options.

No disrespect intended
I have a black tank clean out that I use religiously. I like to be able to monitor how much water I I am putting back into the black tank when I have the valve closed and water running to the clean out. Not really necessary but for that matter neither is owning the Coach necessary. I also figured that way I could buy and do a complete secondary gauge install that would be easy as the wet bay is very close to all the tanks. Then just use the BT to monitor tanks accurately when in the coach.
Doug Darby is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank