Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRUCK CONVERSIONS, MDT's & HDT's FORUMS > Truck Conversions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-15-2015, 12:00 PM   #1

Roof and walls

Hoping for some friendly advice. I'm about to mail a down payment tomorrow to a showhauler dealer. I'll be trading my second DP for a 45' truck conversion. I'm confident that it's the right fit for my family's needs except for one concern. I've read about some people having problems with the adhesive used to bond the aluminum to the frames of the walls and roof. Has anyone had problems with this? If so, has the problem been an easy fix, did it occur multiple times, and assuming that I can get it to the factory for repair would the cost be in the hundreds, thousands, or tens of thousands. All advice is welcome. Thank you!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2015, 07:08 PM   #2

American Coach Owners Club
Some Showhauler's are built on Used Truck's Check the previous Mileage on the truck and make absolutely sure your getting what you want- ask Questions and expect answers !
Friend of Mine bought a Show Hauler and it had 300,000 miles on the Odometer - no Big deal until He looked at the date Codes on His Tires- they were 10 yrs old- Just saying !
By the way His Siding looks Great .

NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 11:13 AM   #3

Thanks and will do. I'm building up a new one. The chassis was just sent to be lengthened. It's a new '15 cascadia. Will check the dates on the tires too.
Old 07-22-2015, 03:12 PM   #4

I think Showhauler is one of the best builders out there. My United Specialties is built in a similar manner to Showhauler. I did have an edge of a panel come loose. I pulled it out a bit, cleaned as best I could, and used Sikaflex adhesive stuck in there and pressed the panel back down. Seems to be holding just fine. I wouldn't worry about a new one coming loose like that. I think Showhauler has been doing this long enough to know what they're doing. I'm a bit confused though. Brand new truck, couldn't you have ordered it from Freightliner with the right length frame? And a double wall frame?
Old 07-24-2015, 01:58 PM   #5

I like the sikaflex tip. Regarding the chassis, not sure. It's a '15 with 200 total miles. I'll have to ask Lonnie. It's a custom floor plan we put together on CAD and is going to be 45'5" with a very small garage in back.
Old 07-28-2015, 10:28 AM   #6

My Showhauler is 10 years old and I do not have any delamination issues.
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 11:28 AM   #7

I should have noted, my rig was built in 2002. And, I think my problem was not normal.
Old 07-28-2015, 09:43 PM   #8

Chassis

Bob,
I visited Showhauler Monday to spec out colors and such on our truck. The chassis was sent for modification including lengthening. Could have been our floor plan. Not too out of the ordinary, but custom and a bit long. Looks like it will come out about 45'5". 18K front axle and spring set up. I don't tow a stacker currently, only flat towing so will need the heavier built front end. Looking forward to long trips, fast travel, and hopefully fewer mechanicals than with my current bus. Thanks for your input! After visiting the factory for 2/3 of the day with Chad on Monday, I'm confident in the product and the service and am excited to drive the completed truck. Looking at about October 31.
Rick

Tags
roof