Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Renegade Motorhome Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-30-2018, 11:20 AM   #1

Roof maintenance

I realize this probably belongs in another thread but want to hear from Renegade owners.

What are you doing to maintain and protect your roof. I have heard a lot about using 303 Protectant and I use it religiously on the upholstery in our boat. After 10 years it still looks like brand new. But it does seem to leave a bit of an oily feel that I’m not sure is good for the roof.
Renegade RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-30-2018, 03:17 PM   #2

We have fiberglass roofs and they don't require any maintenance. BUT, if you insist on working rather than relaxing, treat it like a fiberglass boat with gel coat and just keep it clean or wax it if you want to ice skate.

Actually, just keeping it clean and free of debris is probably the best thing you can do besides keeping it inside when not in use.
Ziggy8321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 03:22 PM   #3

One less thing to do. I like that.
Renegade RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 02:09 AM   #4

Like it was mentioned, treat our fiberglass roof as if it were a boat hull. Inspection of all seams and sealant is very crucial in maintaining a leak free unit.
SSTuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 02:40 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy8321 View Post
We have fiberglass roofs and they don't require any maintenance. BUT, if you insist on working rather than relaxing, treat it like a fiberglass boat with gel coat and just keep it clean or wax it if you want to ice skate.

Actually, just keeping it clean and free of debris is probably the best thing you can do besides keeping it inside when not in use.
Ziggy, as a long time owner of gel coated boats I would like to take one small exception of what you said.

You would treat it the opposite of gel coat since our Renegades are painted. Gel coat is very porous and paint is not. As gel coat ages it needs frequent compounding and waxing to full the pores thus making the surface shiny again...until the wax wears off. Even more so for dark gel coat.

I would treat the coach surface just as I would treat the surface of a new car....keep it clean and if you want extra shine a good coat of quality non abrasive wax,
RonLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 06:11 AM   #6

Ron,

I won't swear to it, but I believe the roof is just raw Azdel and unpainted gelcoat. It doesn't make sense for Renegade to paint and clear coat the roof due to the cost and little return.

In any case, I don't do anything but try to keep it fairly clean when it gets washed.

Anyone talking to Renegade service/Woody etc might ask about the roof and let us know for sure.
Ziggy8321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 07:41 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy8321 View Post
Ron,
I won't swear to it, but I believe the roof is just raw Azdel and unpainted gelcoat. It doesn't make sense for Renegade to paint and clear coat the roof due to the cost and little return.
Interesting. It could be palm fronds for all I know. I have not been up there or driven it 50 miles since I closed.

I will look forward to finding out.

Thanks
Old 11-04-2018, 03:18 PM   #8

I brought it over to my condo to load for a trip and saw the top from the 4th floor.

It is white and looks like the kind of roof that will need cared for like the other ones with white rubber roofs. Sure was not full body paint and did not look like any gel coat that I have seen...but I have not seen all gel coats.
Old 11-04-2018, 06:36 PM   #9

The roof of a Renegade (atleast Veronas) are not painted. Should be treated like a boat is correct
ragoodspeed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
maintenance, roof, roof maintenance