Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRUCK CONVERSIONS, MDT's & HDT's FORUMS > Truck Conversions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-05-2008, 04:35 AM   #1

Rookie needs help

Well, we finally sold our boat. We are now committed to Pony Express. My husband and I are in a contrivorsy over the size...he wants a 9' garage etc totally 45' and I want smaller maybe without a garage. The garage is for a bike or two or a motorcycle or just stuff. We never camped or owned a camper. Is this too big for rookies? We never see TC's in camp grounds. Are we setting ourselves up for failure here? Are TC's looked down upon at campgrounds? or am I just paradnoid? Is 45' too big for most camp grounds? We are from Wisconsin, not the campground of america you know.

Jane

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2008, 04:35 AM   #2

Well, we finally sold our boat. We are now committed to Pony Express. My husband and I are in a contrivorsy over the size...he wants a 9' garage etc totally 45' and I want smaller maybe without a garage. The garage is for a bike or two or a motorcycle or just stuff. We never camped or owned a camper. Is this too big for rookies? We never see TC's in camp grounds. Are we setting ourselves up for failure here? Are TC's looked down upon at campgrounds? or am I just paradnoid? Is 45' too big for most camp grounds? We are from Wisconsin, not the campground of america you know.

Jane

Old 05-06-2008, 07:41 PM   #3

Jaynee, I wouldn't worry about campground's that would turn away a TC. They are few and far between. Some (however) have been known to get picky when it comes to schoolie conversions, etc,... that look like an escapee from the metal shredder. A 45 x 102 conversion will push the limit of some campgrounds. The older ones didn't lay out their roads for anything that long, so getting in & out could be a challenge. You also need to consider overhead clearence as TC's are fairly tall compared to most conventional MH's.
Old 05-24-2008, 06:24 AM   #4

RVing is nothing to be frightend about. Being from Wisconsin you just put alot of thought into keeping the ducks inline.
A conversion truck camper is considerd a (CLASS C)RV. No worries about being rejected at campgrounds for being a TC.
This does not change the fact that your choice is not considerd a (CLASS A)coach. You would not be allowed in a (CLASS A ONLY) park.
Truck conversions utilize similar demensions as delivery vans. One reason you do not see extremely long delivery vans is they are hard to manuvere in thight spots. You must always consider left, right, radious, height and swing (in this case the rear overhang), when manuvering.
45' is not a problem but it could be with a conversion. First glance would make one think bigger is better. It is, if it bends in the middle. My choice would be to consider a shorter living area maxed out for comfort with a short storage/flat bed area to the rear. This would be only a few feet. I would tow a double hight trailer behind that, remembering to keep the total lenght as manageable as possible.
First thought is what is your objective for the unit you choose. By this I mean ocassional camping, full time living, following or a little different participating in race events.
In todays world remember weight means savings, something else to consider.
There are also the low profile MAXs. These are now a few years on the market and offer the best combo of everything accept the garage.
My feelings are the more information you glean the more confusing the whole thing gets. Set your limits high so you do not have to do it again. There are thousands of units availabe on the used and forclosure market but it is still important to make the correct decision.
HAPPY TRAILS
( originaly fr Milwaukee's 3rd W)
MMouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 06:18 PM   #5

hello all!
My wife and I are within a year from purchasing our first super c (class8). We currently own a 1999 Georgie Boy 38'.

two Q's
1 would we do better trading or our right sell the georgie boy?
2 we are going to full time , with one 4yr boxer. we are looking to stay at or about 40 ft. we would like any info & input on full timing in this type of super c.

I too have heard about some parks not wanting to accept c's. we are currently living in Connecticut (family reasons) but will be home beased back in Florida. (25yrs prior)

also any thoughts about washer dryer combo's? good bad or other.

why do most mfgr's put in dinetts instead of the free standin table and chairs? thoughts...
Old 11-27-2009, 09:56 PM   #6

Jaynee, what's your status on the truck conversion? Did you buy one? I just love mine after 7 months and over 7k miles. Truck conversion is the way to go if you want to pull any kind of a trailer, or have tons of extra power to climb mountains.