Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRUCK CONVERSIONS, MDT's & HDT's FORUMS > Truck Conversions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-05-2019, 12:26 PM   #1

ScanGauge Tech Support is Excellent

I bought a ScanGauge D from a vendor on Amazon on May 13th. I spent about an hour trying to plug in the J1939 cable connector to the recepticle under the dash. Finally gave up and took photos of each only to find the connector on my gauge was slightly wrong with one pin size smaller and the center key way being off by 15 Deg or so. I went on line to their Tech support, and found their phone number prominently displayed. A human actually answered and very quick to say they would send out a new cable ASAP. After a short hold they came back on and decided to send an entirely new gauge and cable to assure that the Firmware in the gauge was the newest and compatible with the new connector. Shipped it all two day with return postage included for the gauge I bought. Very pleased with how quickly they resolved the issue.
Doug Darby is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2019, 01:44 PM   #2

I had a similar experience when my gauge came with the wrong cable. They shipped a new one to deliver in two days and just asked me to pitch the old one.

The people I spoke with were very helpful. It’s nice to work with a company that understands what good customer service is these days. Its a service hard to find any more.
Renegade RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 11:43 PM   #3

They sent me a new cable too. When I plugged it in all hell broke loose with my check engine light on, abs light flashing, turn signals flashing, and a bunch of relays clicking. I was fed up at that point and sent the gauge back. Thankfully it appears no damage was done. Yes their support is excellent but they have a bunch of gauges out there that are not compatible with our coaches.
tdeperte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 07:47 AM   #4

Good to hear they have great support I just ordered mine directly from them. I have a question where is everyone mounting the unit. Obvious I want it in a useful location, but not in the way at same time.

Tom C
twc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 01:43 PM   #5

I put mine on the dash above the radio. Just some velcro holds it there. Been great for over a year now.
deputybubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 01:54 PM   #6

Deputy

That is one of my thoughts, do you find it is to bright in your face at night?

Tom C
Old 06-08-2019, 03:14 PM   #7

Not at all.. But I really don't drive alot at night. But it is to the side of my vision
Old 06-09-2019, 07:32 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by twc88 View Post
Good to hear they have great support I just ordered mine directly from them. I have a question where is everyone mounting the unit. Obvious I want it in a useful location, but not in the way at same time.

Tom C
Mounted on the windshield down low beside the dash cam also on the windshield.

I don't change the read-outs often; so reaching it is not an issue. I monitor: Oil Pressure / Avg Fuel Mileage / Water Temp / Oil Temp. I find it reassuring. Haven't needed it for any Code Look-ups yet but many other read-outs if one get curious.
Former Coach - Newmar London Aire
JCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 07:03 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by twc88 View Post

Tom C
Ours is mounted in the old school ash tray between the cup holders. I added Velcro to the tab that holds the ash tray in the dash. By doing it this way it was way to route the cable and keep it pretty much out of sight.
Renegade RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 07:11 AM   #10

Mounted mine on the dash below the instrument panel. Have to look around the wheel a little, but workable for me. Used 3M two sided body molding tape to secure it. The glue on the Velcro kept melting and it would fall off. The two sided tape holds very firm, but it can be removed if necessary. The gauge works great.
Old 06-10-2019, 07:20 AM   #11

Thanks to all, so many options. I was also looking at just above the drivers side cup holder, when it comes today I can test fit to see if it interferes with cups. Was also looking at the ash tray option, trying to keep it out of the sunlight. Knowing myself I will scroll though screens, so it needs to be accessible.

Tom C
Old 06-12-2019, 03:08 PM   #12

ScanGauge D Install

Finished installing and setting my ScanGauge up today. I think the install above the visor in the small cubbyhole will work fine. I can't wait to get on the road and see how it works. Will try to post a couple of pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5114.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	249627  
Attached Images

Doug Darby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 07:32 PM   #13

I probably could have lived without a Scangauge. I don't like the feature that starts a new trip every time you turn off the engine...except for gallons to empty perhaps...and the code thing.

What am I missing?
RonLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 07:11 AM   #14

Trans temp for me. No other way of seeing that.. And avg mpg

Tags
excel, scangauge