Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRUCK CONVERSIONS, MDT's & HDT's FORUMS > Truck Conversions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-02-2017, 11:34 AM   #15

Hey Mike,
If you are serious about a truck conversion such as Renegade or Showhauler make sure you learn about the construction process of each brand. Each has their way of construction and are different in method and materials. Not going to suggest to you one is better than the other but what you as buyer prefer and comfortable with. Each mfg will be more than happy to give you a tour if you take the time. There is another forum where there are more truck conversion owners. truck conversion.net

I wish you luck.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-02-2017, 01:18 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed S View Post
Hey Mike,
If you are serious about a truck conversion such as Renegade or Showhauler make sure you learn about the construction process of each brand. Each has their way of construction and are different in method and materials. Not going to suggest to you one is better than the other but what you as buyer prefer and comfortable with. Each mfg will be more than happy to give you a tour if you take the time. There is another forum where there are more truck conversion owners. truck conversion.net

I wish you luck.
Thanks.

I do follow the way construction is done and what brand of equipment is put in these units.

Yea, I stumbled upon truck conversion.net a few days ago. Not much traffic on that site. Old stuff on there. There is so much change in these units that reading about something about the units in 2013-2014 could have and probably did change by 2016-2017....but I do have that page marked to view quickly
FireEater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 04:14 PM   #17

Very true. I had a 2006 DP then a 2010 Renegade and now a 2017 Renegade
Old 01-02-2017, 05:33 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatDog View Post
Are almost all truck conversions being outfitted with auto trans or does anyone drive a 10 speed ?
And since the OP mentioned a somewhat stiffer ride ... are fancy air ride seats too expensive of an option ?
I shopped dozens of units and test drove several. Never saw a manual shift.

My truck conversion is also a 12 speed auto with air ride cab, air ride seats, and air ride rear suspension. Again, this too seems pretty standard.

To the OP: be sure to take a test drive on the highway at your first opportunity. The rig will sell itself.
Old 01-05-2017, 07:50 PM   #19

There's also Powerhouse Coach, isn't there? Spacecraft builds them pretty sure. Hawk Engineering I think is still building them. NRC?
Old 01-06-2017, 07:03 AM   #20
Administrator Emeritus

SHowhauler factory tour... done by "The Russo's" which was a tv special of sorts...

Very interesting, thought someone might enjoy, with all the recent questions.
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 11:24 PM   #21

They are whisper quiet, I know I build custom Trucks and RVs etc, and it will amaze you how nice the Volvo is, a word of advise, be cautious with the composite bodies, they make more noise than the truck motor.
HDTVGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 05:28 PM   #22

Agreed, the Volvos were the quietest conversions I test drove.
Old 01-10-2017, 11:30 PM   #23

Tiffin Owners Club
Interesting how we all have different experiences. I have found that the aluminum side walls and especially the aluminum roofs are much louder than the fiberglass composites and rubber roofs. Try sleeping in them in a good rain or hail storm. There are pros and cons to all, but trying them out to find what is best for you is the only way to travel!
dtchild1 is offline   Reply With Quote