Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRUCK CONVERSIONS, MDT's & HDT's FORUMS > Truck Conversions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-19-2019, 12:36 PM   #1

Source for frameless windows

Is there an online source for the dual pane frameless windows like those used in the Verona LE?

I'm pretty sure they are made by Hehr, but I've not been able to find a source.

Does anyone know if they can be ordered thru glass companies? I believe RV dealers are an option, but probably the most expensive option.

Thanks!
dcgettinby is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2019, 01:16 PM   #2

Try All-rite.com. They make custom frameless RV windows. Not sure if they do insulated glass. Hehr is now owned by Lippert and they only sell to OEM's.

Frameless RV Windows | Frameless Windows for Commercial Vehicles
Old 03-19-2019, 01:38 PM   #3

Can I try talking you out of frameless windows? I hate mine. They don't open nearly as much as the non-frameless ones and they let less air through. If I had an affordable option to ditching mine, I'd do it in a heartbeat.
Old 03-19-2019, 04:29 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by learntorv View Post
Can I try talking you out of frameless windows? I hate mine. They don't open nearly as much as the non-frameless ones and they let less air through. If I had an affordable option to ditching mine, I'd do it in a heartbeat.
While narrowing down our choice of TT's, I specifically wanted project-out frameless windows. You can leave them open in the rain and I personally think they look better.
Woo10-210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 04:58 PM   #5

Woo10-210, thanks for the All-Rite link. Unfortunately, their windows start at $820 (yikes).

learntorv, I'm not crazy about frameless windows either, and I feel that way having never owned any! However, I have a 36VSB on order for August delivery, and I have been thinking about replacing a few of the larger ones with dual pane versions. I was hoping that upgrading the larger windows would make the coach easier to heat/cool. In order to match the smaller ones to be left in place, it seems like frameless would be the best option. (Of course, I could have simply ordered an LE with dual pane windows throughout. Unfortunately, the banker vetoed that option!)
dcgettinby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 06:03 PM   #6

dcgettinby, don't get your panties in a wad over this. Like you, I thought the tilt out windows would cut down on air flow but experience has shown me otherwise.

With only one or two windows open and the fan or both fans on, you will be amazed at the air coming in and rain is no problem. When home, I leave the galley window open and one vent (no fan) open for air circulation and all is always fresh (old boating trick).

When that solution no longer is effective, turn on the A/C
Ziggy8321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 06:06 PM   #7

Call Hehr directly, they should be able to point you to a local dealer.

This dealer quoted me a Hehr window once by e-mail, mike.leer@Parkin-acc.com

I like my frameless windows and they are a must have if we get a newer fifth wheel.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 04:37 AM   #8

I liovevthe frameless look from the outside and to be honest we do not mind the tip out at all and like the slight improvement in security vs’s the old big slider approach. I really miss the dual pains when it comes to reducing road noise and the significant reduction with condensation. I do not understand why Renegade does not offer dual pains as at least and option on the Verona?

I did have a new coach once that I had the factory change out to dual pain and it worked out fine but I was not aware that it was not a matter of just changing out the glass, the entire frame had to be replaced so all the trim, curtains, balances,etc had to be removed on the inside.

See what Renegade says.
Best of luck, Ron G.
ragoodspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 06:37 AM   #9

When I ordered my 2019 Verona (non LE) I had my salesman get a quote for dual pane windows from Renegade. Renegade came back with $4707 for the dual pane option. I passed. I don't think that small air gap between the panes makes that much difference in the heating and cooling of the coach. As for noise reduction, my salesman said he didn't notice any difference in noise levels between LE and non LE coaches. Most of the noise comes in through the cab, which is all single pane either way. If your using your coach in cold temps the dual panes may help with condensation.
tdeperte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 07:02 AM   #10

Our primary concern is cabin comfort - in terms of heating, cooling, and condensation.

While dual pane windows will certainly help with cabin comfort, it's pretty hard (maybe impossible?) to quantify how much improvement might actually be achieved. The most obvious problem is the aluminum frame. Both single pane and dual pane windows have the same frame. And that frame is a very good conductor, which is great for cooking/wiring/and such, but it's very, very bad when comes to heat loss/gain. So, the glass surface itself will be better in dual pane configuration, but that improvement might be over-shadowed by heat loss/gain through the aluminum frame.

Unfortunately, Renegade does not offer a dual pane option on Verona, and they were not willing to make any exception in our case. From the Renegade standpoint, they apparently feel that prospective owners can already get dual pane windows simply by stepping up to the LE or any one of their custom coaches.

We did get a quote from our dealer for changing the 5 largest windows from single to dual pane after the coach was delivered. We decided to forego that cost right now because we're "stretching" already and because we don't know how much improvement we will get. So, for the time being, we decided to try the coach as built. If we decide the single pane windows turn out to be too much of an issue, we always have the option to swap later.
Old 03-21-2019, 07:33 AM   #11

Thanks, Tony!

I'm a bit surprised that Renegade offered you a dual pane upgrade. My only option was to have windows swapped out by my dealer after delivery. Maybe Renegade views your dealer as more important than my dealer? For whatever reason, your info is great and your quoted price is quite similar to the one I was given, albeit my quote was for ONLY 5 of the largest windows and came without (my perceived) advantage of a factory installation.

BTW, my interest in a window source is just a way to explore options. I'm not intimidated by the window install, so a window source would give me a bit more insight into possibilities. Your comments regarding single panes are also a very helpful perspective in that process. So, thanks again!
Old 03-23-2019, 11:09 AM   #12

Any dealer can contact Hehr directly and special order frameless dual pane windows to install (about $500/window). The windows are pretty easy to install with a screw gun and about 20 screws and 2 people (1 inside and 1 outside).
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 03:12 PM   #13

My Verona windows were manufactured by Cleer Vision.

https://www.cleervision.com/
tdeperte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 10:17 AM   #14

Thanks again, Tony! That's very good to know.

For some reason, I really thought Hehr was the window supplier (at least for Verona/Valencia). Now that I think more about it, I realize I have absolutely no idea why I assumed that windows were made by Hehr.

Tags
frame, window