Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRUCK CONVERSIONS, MDT's & HDT's FORUMS > Truck Conversions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-29-2012, 09:22 AM   #1
Junior Member
backster's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Mahomet, Illinois
Posts: 6
Question Special Drivers License?

I love the T/C motorhomes. I was just wandering if you need a CDL or any special license because of it being part truck?

Champaign Sportsmen's Club Campground
backster is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-29-2012, 09:30 AM   #2
Senior Member
Ragingbull's Avatar
Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Cherokee, Texas
Posts: 406
I'd check with your local DMV or equivalent.

1979 "Vintage" Pace Arrow 28 Ft,
Ragingbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 09:30 AM   #3
Senior Member
Steve N Sal's Avatar
Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Michigan
Posts: 5,622
I would check with your local DMV. They would have the answer for you within your State.
Steve & Sally / Hudson Our Little Pom / Heidi, Houston & HiTee Forever in our Hearts
04 NEWMAR MACA 3778 W22 / 05 PT Vert
Michigan (Summer) Michigan (Winter For Now)
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 02:33 PM   #4
Senior Member
Ed S's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 972
I do not here but I think a couple of states require a cdl based on how long or weight. I saw a site a while back that would help you, I will try to find and post here for you or just call one of the t/c dealers, they should know what is required in your state.
Renegade Garage Unit
Ed S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 02:46 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus
RustyJC's Avatar

Texas Boomers Club
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Cypress, Texas USA
Posts: 8,854
Originally Posted by Ed S View Post
I do not here but I think a couple of states require a cdl based on how long or weight.
While a few states may require CDLs to operate an RV, most states do NOT require a COMMERCIAL driver license to operate a PRIVATE, NON-COMMERCIAL RV. Texas, for instance, requires either a Class A or B NON-COMMERCIAL driver license if you're over 26,000 lbs GCWR and towing more than 10,000 lbs (Class A) or less than 10,000 lbs (Class B). Reference Texas Transportation Code, Section 521 - Commercial licenses are covered in Section 522.

Check with your state's licensing authorities to be sure.

2016 Ram Longhorn 3500 Dually 4x4 CCLB, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 03:10 PM   #6
Senior Member
Go Dawgs's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Kent, WA
Posts: 1,062
Go to your state DMV website or call. They will determine your license needs. It doesn't matter what state you travel to, it depends on the state in which you license the vehicle. Thats the laws that covern your vehicle in this matter.

Good Luck
2017 Grand Design Reflection 303 RLS
2004 Ford F350 Lariat 4x4 Dually
Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 05:14 PM   #7
Senior Member
Bob86ZZ4's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: St. Paul, MN
Posts: 389
MN doesn't require any special license if it's license plate says it's an rv. And I agree, I love those truck conversions.

MN is home for now.
Bob86ZZ4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New York State R Endorsement for License Mnichols4 Class A Motorhome Discussions 5 07-06-2012 07:24 PM
Texas Veterans and Drivers license changes powerboatr Military / Veteran RVing 17 02-10-2012 07:05 PM
2002 Diplomat Drivers Side Window Leak Mutt Monaco Owner's Forum 4 01-30-2012 07:50 AM
Add a gutter to drivers side or not? wanderso Class C Motorhome Discussions 1 01-26-2012 05:42 PM
Quartzsite Pre-Appointment Special! Brazel's RV Performance Vendor Spotlight (Deals, Announcements & More) 2 01-14-2012 10:32 PM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:40 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.